Thoughts from no bs

Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts from no bs

The immortal words of Christopher Hitchens...I do apologize if I offended anyone with my inquiry or opinions. Was looking for some honest dialogue.

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Has that type of thinking helped you with your drinking/recovery?

Please do share more of your expereince with us...
Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Dear me. What a dark outlook on life.. Personally I'd rather trust people and have the occasional disappointment than live in suspicion all the time.
I believe most people are well-intentioned, and good-hearted. Look at this site, for example...
Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dark? No..Thinking for oneself is never dark. I appreciate your comments however.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I dont believe thinking for yourself is a bad thing, but when you say things like "Distrust compassion", or that experts are mammals, I can't see how that attitude can be helpful..
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I find the more open-minded I can be, the more it enhances my recovery.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

treat others as you yourself would want to be treated
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
I dont believe thinking for yourself is a bad thing, but when you say things like "Distrust compassion", or that experts are mammals, I can't see how that attitude can be helpful..

“Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others.”

I like that because to me it says that I shouldn’t be enabled or enabling, always in need of more handouts, or giving too much when it is hurting more then helping, but that I need to help myself and others enough to achieve dignity not dependency.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a fan of Hitch. He was a great thinker. But he sought out conflict, built a career out of it really, and that's not a life I want to emulate.

I'm having a hard time finding fault with compassion, so long as it's balanced with reason. And as for this:

Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.
I'm an atheist, as was he. Which is why it surprises me he would suggest waiting to die to experience the beauty of silence. Learning to be still amid the hustle and bustle of life, that's a skill I am working very hard to cultivate. And learning to accept that others will have different experiences and ideas and perspectives than me—and embracing those differences, because it's what makes humanity and life itself so darn interesting—is in my mind a much worthier goal than seeking to debate and convert. Certainly a much more pleasant way to live, anyway.

Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.
The fact you posted on SR suggests to me you don't believe this. Hitch himself has said he was inspired to write and debate because he realized it impressed women—which may seem very shallow, but also shows he was hardly the self-sufficient island that that line might suggest.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I do give CH credit for understanding that rationality is a sentiment
Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've moved this to What Is Recovery as this seems more of a philosophical debate to me.

welcome to SR nobshere

D
Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nobshere View Post
Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake
No, I don't agree, especially in a forum whose primary objective is to support recovery from alcoholism and addiction... If you want to argue and dispute, just for the sake of doing that, find a debating society.

Argument and debate to seek truth and find common ground, or not, for the common good, here at SR... well OK.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice to see others that knew the thoughts and opinions of Christopher Hitchens. While this particular quote may seem "dark" it is thought provoking. If you know anything about Hitch it was that he said what he meant and meant what he said..something I have admired for years. As far as silence...what good does that do when lives are at stake? Serves no purpose to be meek to appeal to the masses. Recovery is serious business, being blunt in ones approach is prudent.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just a thanks to Dee74 for moving this to a more appropriate spot. Thank you for the welcome my friend.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Interesting thread. For myself, I prefer to surrender to the inherent smallness of self. I'm comfortable with my importance not itself being more important than life itself.

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."

-- Christopher Hitchens

I not only embrace and trust compassion, I champion the wonderful healing love compassion creates. I've heartily learned I can always ensure my diginty whilst I'm compassionate onto and with others, no problemo.

Argument for its own sake is a well established intellectual pursuit and pastime, and little more then that, is my experience.

I don't suspect my own motives. I certainly examine myself with an open mind, no less or more then I examine whatever. I'm not a special exception in my own eyes, in that sense, and so properly knowing myself is a worthy journey. Excuses define themselves, really, and need no special effort to drag them into the light of reason, save my willingness to be truthful and morally honest with my struggles and challenges as I walk my talk with responsibility and honor.

I live simply because I am alive. The alternative is death. The choice seems obvious enough, yeah?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Absolutely the only choice to being alive is death..yet while one is alive the question is will you stand up for others or silence yourself because others think you should?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Very true Mark..Thank you
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I edited my comment, I was distracted.... What I said, for the viewing public, LOL, was that argument and dispute when serving the needs of others serves a purpose.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

lol..nice