# 21 (permalink)  

you definitly got me thinking.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good..brain engaged equals recovery.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nobshere View Post
The immortal words of Christopher Hitchens...I do apologize if I offended anyone with my inquiry or opinions. Was looking for some honest dialogue.

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.
i did all this. then i realized i was insane and got sober.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

LOL tomsteve...I understand when the english language eludes people and they resort to obtuse comments..its all good..peace be with you..
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As far as silence...what good does that do when lives are at stake? Serves no purpose to be meek to appeal to the masses. Recovery is serious business, being blunt in ones approach is prudent.
Careful what you wish for. Since addicted people are always looking for ever more artful and creative ways to avoid the really big question by delving into philosophical irrelevancies, I'll ignore them and cut right to the chase. As you say, recovery is serious business, and being blunt is prudent, after all.

What is your plan for your future use of alcohol and other drugs, nobshere? Are you going to drink or use again in this lifetime, or are you not?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dalek...I have no plans on ever using again..haven't for 6 years. Thank you for your concern.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dalek...I have no plans on ever using again..haven't for 6 years.
That is not what I asked, and you are artfully evading the question. I asked what your plan was, and here you are telling me that you have no plan. You have "no plans" -- OK. So, the question still remains... What is your plan? Are you going to drink/use again in this lifetime, or are you not?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Recovery is serious business, being blunt in ones approach is prudent.
Ah, there's that word—blunt. As in, blunt instrument. Or blunt force trauma. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer words like "honest" or "direct." I think it comes closer to the tone one should adopt when speaking to someone in a vulnerable place. I absolutely agree honesty is important. But so is humility and respect.

Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish.
If that's how you're perceived, I suspect you're destined to lose a lot of debates before you even open your mouth. (I also very much doubt that's how you're perceived, certainly not by me.)

Anyone can tell the truth. The real trick is convincing someone to listen. And I have to say, a few smiley faces from Dee went a long, long way when I first showed up at SR's door.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

NoBsHere, there is only one accepted answer to this question:
What is your plan for your future use of alcohol and other drugs? Are you going to drink or use again in this lifetime, or are you not?
It is this: I will never use alcohol or drugs again, and I will never change my mind. Booya.

You don't need the booya part at the end, but I think it's stylish.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

LOL tomsteve...I understand when the english language eludes people and they resort to obtuse comments..its all good..peace be with you..
you may be right, but i'm am sober and obtuse.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Absolutely the only choice to being alive is death..yet while one is alive the question is will you stand up for others or silence yourself because others think you should?
Hmmm. How unremarkable.

Black-and-white thinking is unappealing to my spiritual nature. Creating false dilemma is uninteresting. Indifference comes to mind as a practical solution to a constructed fallacy.

I'm sorry. I have to admit I'm disappointed. The best question is hardly as you have supposed. The best answer moving forward is to simply be ourselves notwithstanding what others may or may not think. No good reason exists to create an intellectual storm in a teacup...

I'm very much alive, and death is not, was not, will never be my only choice to life, not at all whatsoever. Eventual death is a real end chapter of life, of course, and not something which can pre-exist life. How one lives their life speaks volumes on how they will meet death. Life is a journey, and death is not a final destination on the said journey. Death is a entirely new kind of journey, imo, and best met and begun by having a well lived life. Well, we shall see...

Be well, nobshere, and good journey.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post

Indifference comes to mind as a practical solution to a constructed fallacy.
That's awesome!

How do we know, that it is a fallacy? Myself, if I did the construction on whatever question is on my mind, it usually is, a fallacy. That it is usually born from fear and creates new ones...

Yea, indifference.

This is where steps 10, 11 and 12 can help. And, of course, ODAAT, live in the moment. Reality is not self constructed.

I think, LOLOLOLOL
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

...the question is will you stand up for others or silence yourself because others think you should?
As far as silence...what good does that do when lives are at stake? Serves no purpose to be meek to appeal to the masses.
You cannot expect to be taken seriously as a someone who "stands up for others" when you refer to humans as "the masses", as if they were not actual people, but rather a dehumanized, mindless, collectivist blob. This is the language of armchair pseudo-intellectuals, but it is also the language of totalitarian leftists -- of Mao, of Stalin. It is not the language of true humanitarians, freethinkers, or anyone who actually cares about freedom, human rights, or human life.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

LOL, Dalek. I totally relate to that! Great post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
Careful what you wish for. Since addicted people are always looking for ever more artful and creative ways to avoid the really big question by delving into philosophical irrelevancies, I'll ignore them and cut right to the chase. As you say, recovery is serious business, and being blunt is prudent, after all.

This was the post to which I was referring
Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

One of the things that I love about my sobriety is the ability to step away/keep away from mindless debates for the sake of debating. My wife used to be a debate champion and loves a good argument just for its own sake. To "win", whatever that means. Without the crutch of alcohol I can say "I'm not going to fight with you" w/out passive aggressive BS--just because that's what I want. Debate with someone else. I'll just keep my big mouth shut.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey I appreciate tipping sacred cows as much as the next guy.

But Hitchens was a raging alcoholic, and there's a lot of easily identifiable alcoholic thinking in those words.

Never mistake bravado for true courage.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i did all this. then i realized i was insane and got sober.

An insane individual is a poor judge. I have to be ever vigilant not to believe my own B.S. I fail often.

All the best.

Bob R