Recovery begins...

Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Recovery begins...

For me, recovery begins when in sobriety, you realise that no one or nothing can hurt you anymore. Then and only then can you look forward to a constructive future free from the 'wreckage of the past' see p.164 of ,'Alcoholics Anonymous' First Ed., and truly feel that you've handed your life and self will over to the god of your understanding.

Last edited by CarolD; 05-19-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added mandatory SR Copy Write Guideline
Old 05-19-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
For me, recovery begins when in sobriety, you realise that no one or nothing can hurt you anymore.
That can also be found through Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism.

"In this life - pain is inevitable - suffering is optional".
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Of course...

As a modest student of eastern beliefs and practices, mainly cultivated in Buddhist philosophy/ psychology, I'm already aware of this,...but thank you for reminding me and drawing it to others, perhaps less well informed, attention.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I realized this without the BB or a God...and yes, I was only truly free once I understood that "that no one or nothing can hurt you anymore". It doesn't mean however that I won't experience pain, it just means that I no longer fear that experience. Indeed, the most turbulent waters have taught be to be a better swimmer.

Good to see you Redmayne.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Most....

Most philosophies/psychology, not necessarily based in spiritual or religious teachings, expound the benefits of ,'experiential learning' especially where it leaves you still, because of those past experiences, open to new, more constructive ones...enhanced by the awareness of the past. It's good to look back, but you mustn't stare!

Perhaps something along the lines of what Winston Churchill once said, 'Success is the ability to go from failure to failure, with the same enthusiasm'...

Thank you for your observation 'Soberlicious' a contribution by you to my thread is an honour..
Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
As a modest student of eastern beliefs and practices, mainly cultivated in Buddhist philosophy/ psychology, I'm already aware of this,...but thank you for reminding me and drawing it to others, perhaps less well informed, attention.
Not to discount recovery, but recovery can be done with or without a spiritual component. Those that do make use of a spiritual component eventually learn that it becomes more than an "end of drinking program" and evolves into an "end of suffering program".

When I am spiritually fit, nothing disturbs me enough that I feel like I need to take a drink or a drug. In fact, so long as I am spiritually fit, nothing disturbs me enough that I feel like I am suffer at all. That is when I see the parallels between Eastern philosophy and recovery.

books.google.com/books/about/There_s_More_to_Quitting_Drinking_Than_Q.html?id=h YMJAAAACAAJ
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes Boleo. However, for me the "end to drinking" was, in and of itself, an end to much of my suffering. I just read this elsewhere and it really spoke to me. This was from a discussion about the 5th precept.
in the moment all is fulfilled, but in the next it is a source of suffering. From that suffering arises the desire to have that (or maybe another) intoxicant again (to sate the hunger), the release from suffering is temporary, and it demands repetition.
Stopping that cycle cleared the way for me, so to speak, to go forward each day, in any way I choose.
Most often, anyone practicing mindfulness would not engage in the use of any intoxicant or anything used as an intoxicant as it clouds the waters of the pond. All distractions impede clarity. I have read about "mindful drinking" though, even engaged in by Buddhist monks. My thoughts on this are...even buddhists have beasts lol
Boleo, I agree that recovery can be done without a spiritual component. For me, it is not "so long as I am x, y, or z, nothing disturbs me enough to cause me to drink", but rather "despite whether I am x, y, or z, nothing disturbs me enough to cause me to drink ".