What movies do you watch when you crave?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What movies do you watch when you crave?

Saturday night and all my friends are at the bar and im sitting at home watching movies to try and pass time time until im tired. My favorite movie to watch while trying to break craves is Primer. A cool time travel movie that makes you think. What you're fave movies you like to watch whilst trying to stay sober?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't watch movies to stay sober or beat cravings, but I like comedies if I'm tense or worried. Laughter is a great medicine

D
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

I know what movie I can't watch anymore and that's "Sideways". I used to drink wine whenever I watched it!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't have cravings anymore. They are gone for good. Just watched Under Siege.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't watch movies to stay sober or beat cravings, but I like comedies if I'm tense or worried. Laughter is a great medicine

D
I absolutly agree... When Im tense or overwhelmed,I put on stupid adult cartoons that make you kinda,not think...haha...like South Park,Family Guy,American Dad,Futurama,Simpsons ect... I enjoy them,and it makes me "chill" without putting anything in my body.

I also agree about the movie Sideways,lol.My fiance used to own it.I am definatly an alcoholic,but wine is not my flavor.But just watching that movie makes it look yummy...so I stray from that one now.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Days of Wine and Roses" is a good one. I used to watch "Enter The Void" a lot during benders so I can't watch that one anymore
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
I agree with Dee here. I have one movie that I have seen about 200 times since I was a kid growing up because it makes me laugh insanely. Whenever I am feeling a little down, anxious, or just not right I watch Detroit Rock City. Not only does it make me laugh my ass off but by the time its over I've forgotten why I was upset in the first place.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Comedies always cheer me up. I tend to lean towards the classics (well for me) Dumb and Dumber....Happy Gilmore....Tommy Boy ....stuff like that always cheers me up and keeps my mind off drinking.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I watch most anything. I love Netflix!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i'd stay away from Requiem for a Dream and Leaving Los Vegas to start with
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

the new one with Charleze Theron (not sure it's spelt correctly) is about a woman who is trying to get something from her past... she's (the character) one of us, shhhhh!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I loooove watching movies! I'm a total romantic at heart so I love all the old classics, anything with Audrey Hepburn! I'm a cheese ball but I love how everything always ends happy Roman Holiday, Breakfast at Tiffany's (my all time favorite) if your not into the corny romance stuff, maybe some old westerns with Eastwood?

You can't go wrong with an old movie, they may be slow to start but once you get sucked in you will be hooked. Plus they are usually pretty long so it will fill up your night.

Olivia
Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LDT

If I want to remind myself why I stay sober I'll watch 'When a Man Loves a Woman'.....if I want to cry happy tears I'll watch 'On Golden Pond'( for maybe the 30th time).
Old 03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do watch drug/alcohol themed or featuring movies but only one's which have a mostly negative bent towards it. These include the aforementioned 'Days of Wine and Roses', 'The Man With The Golden Arm", 'Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?' and 'The Lost Weekend'.

Also I sometimes watch shows like 'Intervention' to remember just how bad things can get and that staying in recovery is quite achievable.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

When I first got sober, I watched an episode of "Intervention" on A&E every single day! Either on tv or on my computer.

At this point in my recovery, I rarely have cravings. But when I do feel antsy, I'll watch a good comedy or one of my favorite movies to distract me.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Let's see..."Leaving Las Vegas", "Drugstore Cowboy", "Trainspotting"...hm maybe I should reconsider my viewing habits
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I have been trying to get away from parking on the couch and watching movies because that was one of my favorite times to drink. However, if I feel blue I love to curl up in a blanket and have a cup of hot tea and watch Grumpy Old Men. My hubby always knows when he sees me watching that movie that I've had a rough day.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, I think the movie you're talking about is Young Adult... It's a tragic/weird/boring/mildly funny movie... I saw parts of myself in her character (passing out after drinking bottles of wine, the disheveled hangovers, the mask of foundation to make myself look less crappy from the night before).

One of my biggestest drinking routines was getting drunk by myself while watching a movie so it's something I don't do as much now that I'm sober. If I watch a movie I like to have food to distract me.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've just watched "peaceful warrior" A really good film about spirituality

Peaceful Warrior (2006) - IMDb
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love putting on a documentary from the discovery channel. Anything that is fresh and interesting usually does the trick. I have noticed that horror movies were a comfortable thing for me as a child (I know... kinda weird) but those always put me into a state of relaxation.