Is there a risk?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there a risk?

I'm just curious about something. I've been told to speak to my doctor about what I'm doing in terms of stopping drinking. Without getting into full details, I am curious, is there any risk in talking to my doctor? I'm extremely private about certain things. I had trust broken a long time ago, and therefore I'm deathly afraid of speaking to someone about anything too personal, or just about feelings and ****. If you speak from the heart to the wrong person and just open up, they can use it against you. It's happened before and it's not fun. sooo, there is my paranoia. again, without a ton of details.
Should I worry? Can I say something to my doctor that winds up hurting me?
I don't have anyone else to talk to. SR forums are all I have right now.

anyway, i just want to be able to talk to my doctor about what to do about sleeping problems. i don't want to just throw ambien at the problem, and I feel like I'm cheating sobriety if I'm "sober" from booze, yet I still need to smoke a joint to sleep. I want to be able to sleep. So I want to talk to someone I can trust about it.
Also - I kinda want to talk to a shrink. Is "shrink" a bad word? Is that like the slur for them? Anyway, I might need to talk to someone.
I'm not in full on crisis mode right now. I did okay for a while. I just broke a bit lately and drank. And so far, I've been fine. Moderate, safe - all the stuff that would make me feel like I'm a normal drinker, but ****- I am NOT.
I want to get completely back on board to sobriety, and I want to do it completely. I don't want to just force myself to stop drinking - I want to change my life and how I think. I need help. For the first time I think I know how to get it, but I'm not sure if I feel safe doing it.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you live in the United States, there are HIPAA laws (Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility Act) that protect confidential health information. A health care provider that breaches these laws faces stiff penalties. You have probably read newspaper reports of health care workers who inappropriately access the medical records of celebrity patients being fired from their jobs. Employers in the health care industry take these matters very seriously. I would encourage you to talk to your doctor and get the help you need.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Susan is right.... But

HIPPA laws do more to facilitate communication between providers and insurance companies and employers, yes, employers in some cases.... than they do protect our privacy.

If you want to keep it absolutely confidential, tell your doctor of your concern, watch the diagnosis codes they use, all that...

But, in the end, your doctor is your unconditional advocate. It is in your best interest to be completely honest and open. You can get the confidential care you need, just watch what you sign, asks lots of questions.... all that.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what about telling my doctor I smoke cigarettes, pot, or drink alcohol? doesn't that somehow go on a medical record? Is there some chance 20 years later I couldn't get medical coverage because I used to drink or smoke?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i just have this bad feeling that if I talk to a doctor I'll get "red flagged" somehow as a bad guy - don't hire! don't insure!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe it is unlikely that past history will affect you in that way. It is what you are doing now that counts... Share your worry with your doctor... Right up front.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((scarystuff))) - before my addiction ended my career, I was a nurse. I worked in ER's and dealt with all kinds of people with all kinds of addiction. When I first got into recovery, I had an inkling to try to get my nursing license back. To meet requirements by the board of nursing, I knew I had to tell EVERY medical/dental professional that I was a recovering addict and it had to be documented.

I've chosen to go another route, rather than try to get my license back, yet I still tell every doctor and dentist the truth. I've gotten insurance from employers (though I'm currently self employed and a student, without insurance) without any problem.

My doctors have been awesome. The first one I had, I told him of my past the first time I met him. He was my ally, yet he had no qualms about treating me for legit pain and anxiety issues (I was robbed twice at work, pistol-whipped the second time). He wanted to know about my work, my school, my home life - in other words, he wanted to know how I was dealing with life, as I'd already told him how I dealt with it when I was using.

He left the practice and I have a new doctor. She doesn't know me as well, but she knows my past and is taking a more guarded position. That's fine with me. I WANT to be held accountable. I WANT someone to question me if they think I'm trying to numb my way through something.

A doctor can't adequately treat you if they don't know the whole truth. I can't tell you how many times people came in the ER for one problem, then the drug screen came back and it was a whole different scenario.

I won't deal with a dr. who will give me anything I want - did that, got the t-shirt. I want a dr. who cares enough about me to question me if I'm requesting something I really don't need, one who is generally concerned at my mental/physical health.

These doctors are out there. If I had come across someone judgmental, I'd have kept looking. When I was a nurse? I can honestly say that I just wanted the truth. Not every medical professional is like that, but it's certainly worth it to find one who is.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
If at all possible, pay for any detox in cash, don't use your insurance.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think the most important thing is that you make it out of this healthy, and being honest with your doctor may be the only way... depending on the person.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by whynot4856 View Post
I think the most important thing is that you make it out of this healthy, and being honest with your doctor may be the only way... depending on the person.
I agree. I know it is very scary, but the most important thing here is that you get better. Just explain to your doctor that you wish to keep this as discreet as possible I'm sure they will understand.