SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   What Program/Method of Recovery Did/Do You Use? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/243614-what-program-method-recovery-did-do-you-use.html)

thestruggle2 01-05-2012 10:17 AM

i use the tuff it out meathod.... i did this to myself and i knew the consequences of my drinking so now i just have to tuff it out

Threshold 01-05-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by thestruggle2 (Post 3230604)
i use the tuff it out meathod.... i did this to myself and i knew the consequences of my drinking so now i just have to tuff it out

Glad you are not toughing it out on your own! Welcome

Burt 01-05-2012 05:44 PM

The main program of recovery for me, was me.

Everything else is a bonus

mattparadise 01-06-2012 06:29 AM

Dylan,
Yeah I saw those stats also. AA with a 3-5% success rate from 1989. Although it must be hard to come up with an accurate number.

Burt,
I agree with what you said. I was my main program of recovery.

vinepest 01-09-2012 04:36 PM

I just stopped drinking/using, period. No gimmicks, no "program," no excuses.

MemphisBlues 01-11-2012 08:46 PM

Yep...AA success rate is about five percent after one year. That's why I kept going back after one year. I'm getting T-shirts printed up: I''m part of the five percent. That said, the estimated success rate of AA in its early years was 60 to 70 percent? Why? I think it has something to do with the wavering from the basic message of AA that is found in the meeting rooms these days. Meetings are more of a dumping ground for a member's problems of the day, or challenge to sobriety, or temptation to drink or use instead of the solution to alcoholism and addiction.

I think AA fails for numerous reasons, but at its fundamental core, if you stick to the basic text of the first 164 pages of the program, you not only stay sober, but make progress in all aspects of your life.

It's simple.

And it's the hardest thing in the world to do. I had to just surrender. I tried AVRT, CBT, RET, the whole nine yards. It's just that I became such a hopeless alcoholic, I had to swallow the entire program of AA -- especially the things I didn't like -- to make it this far.

That said, I use AVRT, CBT and RET techniques every day. But it was total surrender to the program of AA that gets me through.

AA is not for everyone, but for the first time in my life I have given up. The tenacity I applied to so many things in my life just won't work for me when it comes to alcohol and drugs. If you can do it on your won, AA isn't for you. If you are like me, and had to finally just admit that I was indeed powerless over alcohol, that my life had become unmanageable, that I could finally accept that there just could be something in the universe a tad more powerful than me, well, I started making progress.

Db1105 02-03-2012 04:45 AM

The recovery statistics for AA are baseless since AA doesn't keep statistic. That percentage is based on the orange papers which are anti AA biased. I've been clean in AA for 34 years. Like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it. IMHO, if you honestly work the AA program, you will get and stay sober. The only thing or person that can make you drink is the person who looks back at you in the mirror. Getting sober is not easy. It's a lot of work no matter what method you use. Not drinking alcohol is a pretty small price to pay to beat a fatal disease.

Terminally Unique 02-03-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Db1105 (Post 3267386)
The recovery statistics for AA are baseless since AA doesn't keep statistic. That percentage is based on the orange papers which are anti AA biased.

Not entirely. The five percent figure comes from the Triennial Surveys of AA Membership, and is frequently cited by Primary Purpose AA groups. The Gresham's Law article from 1976 more or less sums up their arguments. There was a paper written, AA Recovery Outcome Rates - Contemporary Myth and Misinterpretation, that offers somewhat of a counterpoint to the five percent interpretation.

My personal take on things is that when the requirement for membership was changed to "a desire to stop drinking," as opposed to, say, a desire to do something to stop drinking, it opened up the door to all sorts of procrastinators who only wanted to want to quit. If you read Chapter 5 in the original manuscript of the Big Book, it had an interesting qualifier, which was subsequently removed:
"If you are not convinced on these vital issues, you ought to re-read the book to this point or else throw it away!"
This effectively says that if you are not ready, come back when you are. The abstention rate for people who end up at RR is higher than average, but AVRT has a similar qualifier built-in, and will weed out any procrastinators who don't want to actually quit for good from the get-go. I suspect that if AA still had something similar, the abstention rate would be higher.

Terminally Unique 02-03-2012 07:31 AM

The success rate for the original AA group in Akron was higher than average, but they were a little more hard core than most of today's groups, as can be seen from this 1940 Akron manual. They didn't settle for quitting just for today.

Definition of an Alcoholic Anonymous:

An Alcoholic Anonymous is an alcoholic who through application of and adherence to rules laid down by the organization, has completely forsworn the use of any and all alcoholic beverages. The moment he wittingly drinks so much as a drop of beer, wine, spirits, or any other alcoholic drink he automatically loses all status as a member of Alcoholics Anonymous. A.A. is not interested in sobering up drunks who are not sincere in their desire to remain completely sober for all time...

soberlicious 02-03-2012 08:03 AM

TU, when was the above qualifier removed? I wonder if things became more "kumbayaish" during the late 60's/early 70's...

To the OP...I am with Burt, Mattparadise, vinepest, and all the others that believe the individual is responsible for success/failure, not the program.

2granddaughters 02-03-2012 10:24 AM

I think a lot depends on the group.
Our group has many 25-40 yrs members and it's run pretty true to the basics.

I look at my recovery in AA a lot like school. If I show up regularly and pay attention I will be fine.

A buddy told me once "I knew I could do it by myself if you helped me".

Wishing you all the best.

Bob R.

(soberlicious, we have the same eyes ... I wonder if we are related ??)....:c031:

SoberForMySon 02-03-2012 11:17 AM

I just stopped.

Dazee 02-04-2012 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique (Post 3267515)
Not entirely. The five percent figure comes from the Triennial Surveys of AA Membership, and is frequently cited by Primary Purpose AA groups. The Gresham's Law article from 1976 more or less sums up their arguments. There was a paper written, AA Recovery Outcome Rates - Contemporary Myth and Misinterpretation, that offers somewhat of a counterpoint to the five percent interpretation.

My personal take on things is that when the requirement for membership was changed to "a desire to stop drinking," as opposed to, say, a desire to do something to stop drinking, it opened up the door to all sorts of procrastinators who only wanted to want to quit. If you read Chapter 5 in the original manuscript of the Big Book, it had an interesting qualifier, which was subsequently removed:
"If you are not convinced on these vital issues, you ought to re-read the book to this point or else throw it away!"
This effectively says that if you are not ready, come back when you are. The abstention rate for people who end up at RR is higher than average, but AVRT has a similar qualifier built-in, and will weed out any procrastinators who don't want to actually quit for good from the get-go. I suspect that if AA still had something similar, the abstention rate would be higher.

This makes sense. Thanks for sharing. I think one of the reasons I find SR so beneficial is that everyone wants to be here. No one is forced by a judge. We all want to get better and are deliberately seeking help on our own, however we do it.

Terminally Unique 02-04-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dazee (Post 3269044)
This makes sense. Thanks for sharing. I think one of the reasons I find SR so beneficial is that everyone wants to be here. No one is forced by a judge. We all want to get better and are deliberately seeking help on our own, however we do it.

This site is unique in that it brings together so many different personalities, using various recovery models, into the same place.

Terminally Unique 02-04-2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by soberlicious (Post 3267557)
TU, when was the above qualifier removed? I wonder if things became more "kumbayaish" during the late 60's/early 70's...

The original manuscript of the Big Book was written in 1938, with 400 copies distributed in January, 1939 for feedback. The first edition was published on April 10, 1939, which already had the qualifier removed. Many will say that things really changed when the ATI geared up in the 1980's, and the prevailing meeting format became Open Discussion. I suspect that the seeds of change were planted even before that, though, when the flower children realized that they couldn't keep partying forever and the "kumbayaish" walking wounded started showing up in the rooms in droves.

straykatz 02-04-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Threshold (Post 3226170)
Personally, I don't feel that it's the program that works or doesn't work, it's the addict that works or doesn't work, chooses or doesn't choose to remain sober.

One of my issues as an addict is that I am often confused when it comes to who and what is responsible for my life. I assign both blame and kudos to all sorts of things that are often NOT accurate.

I use a wide variety of methods in my recovery. The key is that I use them. I. Me, and Use, they don't work in my life, I work them. They don't succeed or fail, I succeed or fail. There is no magic in any method or program.

Threshold, great words......... I have some issues with the whole concept of being "powerless" and then saying that i "need the help" of some "higher power" in order to solve my problems.

At the end of the day, you are spot on here..... we do indeed have the power and control to make ourselves better and control our own future.

mari1405 02-05-2012 07:01 AM

I've been reading the posts on here and I must say that I'm becoming much more positive in my thinking about my recovery and sobriety. I'm in an intensive outpatient rehab which only uses AA. They basically say that if you slip, it's because you stopped going to AA meetings. I'm glad to know that I have other options also. It's like a lot of you said: The bottom line is that I have to be the one to take control. Being sober has to come from me. Thanks!!

SunSailor59 02-05-2012 01:36 PM

I take full responsibility for my drinking, and I am doing the same for my sobriety. I believe that I was using alcohol primarily to not feel some of the things I needed to feel and to deal with. They are not fun things to feel, but they haven't gotten any easier to deal with by letting them ferment in my mind.

After taking all this on, I have not had any desire to drink. In fact, the only time I even think about alcohol is when I come on here to check in, or when I'm offered some at a party or other social event.

For me, it seems that there is not an alcohol problem to overcome as much as an underlying emotional problem. That has made it unnecessary for me to use any addiction program, and in fact they make it harder by constantly reminding me of my past relationship with alcohol. I do use a therapist regularly to guide me in my recovery from emotional trauma.

I have very limited experience with programs, but from what I can tell they all rely on the individual to effect a change in their beliefs and thus their behavior, and the programs only differ in how they motivate people and support them while they do that.

shaun00 02-08-2012 03:20 AM

method used to remain sober and at peace.. = god

Vehicle used to make a connection with god ? = AA twelve steps/ the book "alcoholics anonymous"

Length of sobriety = 11 years.

just to confirm that isnt attending 1000s of meetings......for me its taking action in the form of 12 steps outlined in the above book......
Requirement for taking said steps..= willingness...open mindedness...honesty..

Result.?.... = recovered ...from a hopeless mind and body .

Basic history of me......Chronic alcoholic of the hopeless variety ....i.e eyes open and i would be drinking .

davidf938 02-10-2012 10:46 AM

I used something called The Jude Thaddeus Program. It is available for home study or you can go to their location. The do have a website, but being new here, am not sure if I'm allowed to give it. I drank daily for 30 years, HATED AA. Only went when I was forced. Even snuck in aclohol on a few occasions. Decided I'd rather die drunk than live with that program. On 2/25/12, I will have 3 years of sobriety using this alternative.