How Do I Know You Mean It This Time

Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

((icu))) - I'm sorry this wasn't her time, but I do pray she seeks recovery soon. I totally understand how you're feeling - though I'm grateful for my recovery and the relationships I have with the people I hurt, I've been on your side, too, and it still hurts.

My addict brain knows how messed up my thinking was when I was using, but when I'm on the other end of it? Yuk. That's when I'm even more grateful for SR - we're not alone and others "get" what we're feeling. Sometimes just posting it and getting it out there helps me a lot.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

RABF once explained to me the difference between simply abstaining from your DOC and actually living a life of recovery. He is now 41 days sober, which I just now figured out by looking up the date from a text message from his mom...anyway, from my experience, you'll know by how they just stop drinking/using and work the program of their choice. Their recovery becomes 100% their business. Skepticism and discussions are no longer required. Which they shouldn't be required in the first place, but you no longer feel the skepticism or the need to discuss anything recovery related. The alcoholic/addict does his/her own recovery work without any participation from friends/family whatsoever.

At first I was skeptical thinking, "it can't be that simple, can it?"

But it can be and is, because the lying and the copouts, etc., are what make it complicated. Those things go away when someone is really in recovery.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

It has been very difficult to get my feet under myself since my agf of 6 yrs relapsed 32 days into recovery. She is back on the streets and i'm sure selling her soul.
I am trying to separate her relapse from taking it personally as a betrayal.

I was not able to attend a Nar Anon meeting tonight so I went to a NA meeting. I do this quite regularly to gain understanding and learn.

A gentleman was celebrating his 10th anniversary along with getting custody of his son. He made mention of how he learned that his desire to get high and have fun disappeared quickly with his relapses when he realized he was living a life of " maintenance". This made me realize that she is not out there having "fun" or "spitting in my face".

During her sobriety she had fears she would not have love for me when I visited her on her third week. After wards she shared with her counselor that she did have very strong feelings & love for me. She had given consent for me to have access to information from her counselor and I also told her counselor she was free to discuss anything I spoke of with her also.

My question is this. After you had made progress and then unfortunately relapsed, she said she" got cocky", what could she be experiencing now using after she had lived sober and had felt happy and proud of her progress from day to day or hour to hour?

The reason I ask is I once read that an addict returns to where they left off. I wonder if her activity is worse now not because her use has escalated but her shame or disappointment is greater after having accomplishing that many days sober?

Please teach me.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Um why are you talking with HER counselor?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

I would ask how her progress was coming along. This was while she was in rehab.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

She had signed a HIPAA release.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I don't know...

I just got to a point where I decided to completely mind my own business; the funny business (what some call "quacking") will either go away or it won't, and there you have your answer.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

i dont understand. u didn't teach me anything. i am trying to learn what addicts feel so that i can better understand. addicys feel they are different, okay help me understand so i can be of greater support when , if , recoverfy is there.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm not an addict. I can't "teach" you how an addict thinks. Non-addicts can understand only to a certain point what it is like to be an addict. Sorry.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

Thank you, Choublak. By the way, how did you come of this handle?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Handle?

What do you mean?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

your name choublak, handle was an old time way to ask a name,
like the truckers did.
probably before your time. : )

Beth
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

ha ha, i am soooooo old
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Ah!

Choublak means hibiscus in Haitian Creole. Although I am not Haitian...just interested in languages (sometimes a little too much, I think)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icutrauma1 View Post
ha ha, i am soooooo old
sorry icutrauma1, I did not mean to make a crack about your age,
actually i was making the age joke at my expense! (52)
I apologize if you were offended.

Beth
Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

You didnt, but my question to thr community is:

It has been very difficult to get my feet under myself since my agf of 6 yrs relapsed 32 days into recovery. She is back on the streets and i'm sure selling her soul.
I am trying to separate her relapse from taking it personally as a betrayal.

I was not able to attend a Nar Anon meeting tonight so I went to a NA meeting. I do this quite regularly to gain understanding and learn.

A gentleman was celebrating his 10th anniversary along with getting custody of his son. He made mention of how he learned that his desire to get high and have fun disappeared quickly with his relapses when he realized he was living a life of " maintenance". This made me realize that she is not out there having "fun" or "spitting in my face".

During her sobriety she had fears she would not have love for me when I visited her on her third week. After wards she shared with her counselor that she did have very strong feelings & love for me. She had given consent for me to have access to information from her counselor and I also told her counselor she was free to discuss anything I spoke of with her also.

My question is this. After you had made progress and then unfortunately relapsed, she said she" got cocky", what could she be experiencing now using after she had lived sober and had felt happy and proud of her progress from day to day or hour to hour?

The reason I ask is I once read that an addict returns to where they left off. I wonder if her activity is worse now not because her use has escalated but her shame or disappointment is greater after having accomplishing that many days sober?