Why Me/Us

Old 08-08-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Me/Us

Why have I/we been singled out to Suffer so Much from Addiction .Was I born with this Handicap,could I have avoided this devestating Illness,Did I bring it on myself,Was it passed on to me by others,Is there something evil possessing me,Did I leave myself open to recieve this ................... Does it come all the way from Adam and Eve.................,Questions.................... ..............

We have all recieved it in different Ways.
I think for myself...............I crossed the line at a certain time in my drinking.
I crossed from been an Ordinary Drinker to been a compulsive drinker.

Did I commit one or more of the 7 deadly sins talked about in the Bible,and there was no back but by the Saving grace of God.I know that I became a Glutton when I crossed that line.............I needed my Fix all the Time to stop the Pain of Withdrawls.

Pride................ is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy........ is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Gluttony......... is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust ..........is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger......... is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed......... is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth........ is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

Food for Thought
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why me/us?

Everyone has some sort of burden (cross) to bear. I wonder myself, if addiction is the lesser of many other evils that I might have had to contend with. I've recovered from smoking (12 year), a multi-year bout with major depression (it really is more comforting to feel pain than nothing at all) and now I'm 23 days into alcohol recovery. At this rate, I should have worked through a whole bunch of crap and be pretty perfect in a few years.

Not!

And, it sounds like you are spiritual. And I wonder if somewhere along the line, I am going through this so that I may help someone else who needs even more help.

In the meantime, sobriety is not nearly as bad as I thought it would have been 4 weeks ago. It's actually pretty good - better to fall asleep than pass out; better to wake up than to 'come to'. Just to name a couple things.

Thoughts?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In early recovery I tried to figure out "why?". Then I realized it's irrelevant, that what's important is what I do about it. It's staying in the solution instead of the problem. The 7 Deadly Sins are found in all people to one degree or another but not all people are alcoholics. I am one and that's all I need to know.

If I could become a social drinker I'd do it 24 hours per day!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I could become a social drinker I'd do it 24 hours per day!
Sorry but that's hysterical!!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by stuartp View Post

Everyone has some sort of burden (cross) to bear. I wonder myself, if addiction is the lesser of many other evils that I might have had to contend with.
My thoughts as well. At first I looked at my addiction as a cross to bare. Then after having a Spiritual Awakening, I saw it as a hidden blessing.

Most of my life I suspected/hoped/sort-of believed there was a God. Now I "Know" beyond a shadow of a doubt there is a God. Not bragging mind you. The other thing I now know without a doubt is, God has two hands:

"The right hand giveth - the left hand taketh away".
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
a southern belle

thank you...

thank you for sharing with us.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you - I am feeling kind of sorry for myself right now about having a drinking problem - it's nice to read posts like this.