Always an addict?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
Do anyone believe that once an addict NOT always an addict. I just believe in change and overcoming addictions. I was addicted to oxycontin for a year, im only five months clean but i feel i am no longer an addict. I know people say be conscious and aware and trust me i am. I just do not think its healthy for me to believe that i have this disease and relapse is nevitable if i do not go to twelve step meetings. I know alot of people who were hooked on oxys and quit becquse of major events that took place in their lives with oxys. I never had a problem with any drugs before oxys and i became hooked on them. So how could i have this disease that i was supposedly born with(as told to me by my addiction doctor] if i tried and did not have trouble with any other addictive substances. Not bashing aa or the steps i just am personally not interested in them or a disease whih offers absolutely no physical evidence of a disease going on in my body. Not trying o get anyonemad just trying to see if anyone agrees with me. Peac to everyone
Good for you.. You've changed for good for yourself...
Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
Do anyone believe that once an addict NOT always an addict. I just believe in change and overcoming addictions. I was addicted to oxycontin for a year, Not bashing aa or the steps i just am personally not interested in them or a disease whih offers absolutely no physical evidence of a disease going on in my body. Not trying o get anyonemad just trying to see if anyone agrees with me. Peac to everyone
Wow, now that is a confusing statement. You "were addicted" but now you aren't. And you claim that addiction has "absolutely no physical evidence of a disease going on in my body..". Now, this presupposes the writer knows what they are talking about with the term "addiction" and "disease".

I think here that is not the case. Perhaps they were misinformed, maybe they were misdiagnosed, but we don't have enough clinical information to figure that out.

Well, there are many people with MS, AIDS, Herpes, or Hepatitis C who are "personally not interested" in the disease, but nonetheless, they have it. Addiction does have demonstrable physical signs. Such as craving for the drug of choice and physical symptoms of withdrawal when you don't get the drug within a certain window period after your last dose. The writer above seems to feel this is not the case. Quite simply, they misunderstand the disease of addiction.

Even if you were properly informed of the symptoms that you have that constitute a basis for a diagnosis of addiction by a qualified professional, you can believe whatever you want. So can the person with MS, AIDS, Herpes, Hep C. No one is stopping you from living the way you feel you want to live. The fact is, if you really are an addict, you don't have to relapse. Relapse does not have to be a part of recovery.

And some people stop using or drinking or both and they do not participate in a 12 Step program and never pick up a drug or a bottle. However, in at least some of those cases the person is utilizing some other program or avenue to maintain a spiritual condition, and to manage symptoms of addiction/alcoholism that inevitably recur throughout the life of a true alcoholic or addict.

The majority of addicts and alcoholics relapse. According the American Society of Addiction Medicine, only 2% of all addicts/alcoholics will still be abstinent more than 2 years from the date they stop using/drinking. Of those who succeed longer, the only common denominator for their success has been found to be attendance in 12 Step or some other sober recovery support group every week.

If you think you are not an addict, I guess the first question I have is: what are you doing on this site? Second, no one has to endorse your belief. If you think you are "cured", go out in the world and do it whatever way you think it has to be done from your perspective. But don't look for a stamp of approval from the medical, psychology or mental health world if there is undisputed evidence that you are an addict or alcoholic.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by fuster
Quite simply, they misunderstand the disease of addiction.
or they don't subscribe to the disease model....

But don't look for a stamp of approval from the medical, psychology or mental health world if there is undisputed evidence that you are an addict or alcoholic.
Just because a theory is commonly held by a majority doesn't make it truth. Just ask Galileo LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fuster View Post
Wow, now that is a confusing statement. You "were addicted" but now you aren't. And you claim that addiction has "absolutely no physical evidence of a disease going on in my body..". Now, this presupposes the writer knows what they are talking about with the term "addiction" and "disease".

I think here that is not the case. Perhaps they were misinformed, maybe they were misdiagnosed, but we don't have enough clinical information to figure that out.

Well, there are many people with MS, AIDS, Herpes, or Hepatitis C who are "personally not interested" in the disease, but nonetheless, they have it. Addiction does have demonstrable physical signs. Such as craving for the drug of choice and physical symptoms of withdrawal when you don't get the drug within a certain window period after your last dose. The writer above seems to feel this is not the case. Quite simply, they misunderstand the disease of addiction.

Even if you were properly informed of the symptoms that you have that constitute a basis for a diagnosis of addiction by a qualified professional, you can believe whatever you want. So can the person with MS, AIDS, Herpes, Hep C. No one is stopping you from living the way you feel you want to live. The fact is, if you really are an addict, you don't have to relapse. Relapse does not have to be a part of recovery.

And some people stop using or drinking or both and they do not participate in a 12 Step program and never pick up a drug or a bottle. However, in at least some of those cases the person is utilizing some other program or avenue to maintain a spiritual condition, and to manage symptoms of addiction/alcoholism that inevitably recur throughout the life of a true alcoholic or addict.

The majority of addicts and alcoholics relapse. According the American Society of Addiction Medicine, only 2% of all addicts/alcoholics will still be abstinent more than 2 years from the date they stop using/drinking. Of those who succeed longer, the only common denominator for their success has been found to be attendance in 12 Step or some other sober recovery support group every week.

If you think you are not an addict, I guess the first question I have is: what are you doing on this site? Second, no one has to endorse your belief. If you think you are "cured", go out in the world and do it whatever way you think it has to be done from your perspective. But don't look for a stamp of approval from the medical, psychology or mental health world if there is undisputed evidence that you are an addict or alcoholic.

Is picking your nose in public a disease? Is chain smoking a disease?

Or are both habitual?

My drinking was habitual. Why am I here? I've decided to completely kick the habit with the help of others who are undergoing the same thing.

To say I have a disease is to insult those who are actually ill. My own cowardice was to blame for my failing to meet life on it's own terms.

All that matters to me is that I now know in my heart that alcohol is a lethal drug that offers an expressway to insanity. I don't bemoan the fact that I'll never drink again, I actively celebrate it.

I hear of people all the time who have taken cocaine socially in the past and their usage hasn't escalated out of control. Does that mean that cocaine is a safe drug and that cocaine addicts are somehow damaged?

Taking any hard drug is playing with fire. If you don't give them the respect they deserve then you'll have to live with the consequences.

That's why for me considering myself an alcoholic is not an option. To me it would be an excuse to relapse and say 'Oh well I tried, but I'm an alcoholic!'. It's nonsense.

You stop being an addict when you decide to stop being addicted.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Could not agree with you more, Elvis. Very well said.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
You stop being an addict when you decide to stop being addicted.
Is "addiction" just a behavior involving excessive use of a substance?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post
Is "addiction" just a behavior involving excessive use of a substance?
In my case it was and it kicked my ass.

Then I decided to take responsibility for my own life as it's the only one I'll ever have and I owe it to everyone around me to live to my best.

And I will do that!

Had a pretty awful day today. Didn't even think once about alcohol or any other drug. I did what I could to improve the day and it's finishing off well.

The addiction died when I stopped feeding it.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

So now you are able to drink moderately, if you want to?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
So now you are able to drink moderately, if you want to?
People who quit once and forever don't have to worry about drinking moderately. I suppose the interesting question would be, why are you so interested in moderate drinking?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
People who quit once and forever don't have to worry about drinking moderately. I suppose the interesting question would be, why are you so interested in moderate drinking?
I'm not.

I wondering why people who don't think that addiction is a disease don't go back to moderate drinking.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I'm not.

I wondering why people who don't think that addiction is a disease don't go back to moderate drinking.
Why would proven problem drinkers who have decided to quit forever in order to avoid further problems from drinking, go back to drinking, in moderation or otherwise? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of quitting?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Why would proven problem drinkers who have decided never to drink again in order to avoid problems from drinking go back to drinking, in moderation or otherwise? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?
No, you've cured yourself of your addiction, so you should be able to drink moderately.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm not.

Alcohol is a poison.

Poisoning yourself isn't clever.

Especially when you realize what that poison can reduce you to.

Once the door is shut it's time to brick it up
Old 09-18-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

No, you've cured yourself of your addiction, so you should be able to drink moderately.
Alcohol causes the addiction.

Curing yourself of the addiction is easy. Just don't drink ever again.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Says who? Who has the right to tell anyone else that they should drink moderately? You don't believe that people can decide for themselves whether or not to put into their bodies a substance which is not strictly necessary for survival, and probably detrimental to it? Are people lemmings?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce
LOL I am having trouble even wrapping my head around this statement. Mickey are you saying that if don't think that addiction is a disease then I would be able to moderately drink? These things are mutually inclusive? I think not.

When I put alcohol in my body I disconnect from life, wreak havoc on loved ones and myself, and ruin any chance for an authentic, peaceful, successful life. Does that mean I have a disease? No, it means that really bad things happen when I consume alcohol. My brain becomes impaired and I make bad choices. Nothing more extraordinary that than. Nothing mystical, nor any disease. Common sense tells me not to put alcohol in my body. ever.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
LOL I am having trouble even wrapping my head around this statement. Mickey are you saying that if don't think that addiction is a disease then I would be able to moderately drink? These things are mutually inclusive? I think not.
If I had to provide an "Exhibit A" of the Addictive Voice on recovery forums, MickeyAnMeisce would make it very easy to do so. Drink, Drink, Drink, in spite of your history, he says. Just a little won't hurt you. :-)
Old 09-18-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TerminallyUnique
Are people lemmings?
Yes, I think often times people are lemmings...and I mean that in no way as a negative judgement. I think there are times people find comfort in "group think". And if that helps them, so be it. When it doesn't help them, they might want to challenge themselves to think something different. I have no problem at all with anyone subscribing to a doctrine, if that's what gets them through the day. Just don't expect me to do the same
Old 09-18-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

If I had to provide an "Exhibit A" of the Addictive Voice on recovery forums, MickeyAnMeisce would make it very easy to do so.
point taken, AVRT

Mickey, I'm not sure if you are taking a stance or asking a question. Either is fine with me...I'm just not clear on your "motives" here.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

If I had to provide an "Exhibit A" of the Addictive Voice on recovery forums, MickeyAnMeisce would make it very easy to do so. Drink, Drink, Drink, in spite of your history, he says. Just a little won't hurt you. :-)
Except I'm not trying to get anyone to drink; I'm pointing out what I see as a contradiction between the statement that drinking to excess is a completely under one's voluntary control and the action of never drinking again

I must note that it is quite interesting that Terminally Unique have explicitly cast me in the role of "the enemy". This does not seem to lend itself to a civil discussion.