We were wrong

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

We were wrong

So many of us believed we could drink despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary and it turns out we were wrong. Does it ever make you stop and wonder how you could have been so wrong about something?

I had (still have) trouble with the concept of being wrong. Not that I was always right but nobody likes to be wrong, especially about something so huge. But it has helped me live life so much better knowing I was and will be about other things, for some reason.

Just a random thought brought on by listening to this link about humans being wrong. Why being wrong is good for you - CNN.com
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thinking about Tom Editison who failed many many times beforethe first light bulb was successful.
yes..I bet he thought it would work on the first go round...but was open to tweaking until....Eureka!

My recovery from alcohol required a lot of changes in my thinking and actions..then...Eureka!

All my best as you continue to find a sober future ...
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was wrong all over the place. I thought I could moderate..WRONG I thought I couldnt have a happy life without alcohol....WRONG I thought i would be totally bored without alcohol...WRONG

I have gone through a lot of stops and starts in the last 4 months. I still dont know $hit about $hit but the man upstairs certainly does!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't believe I lived that existance for almost two years...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Honestly, I had a weird experience with it . . . I only believed I could moderate because I thought everyone could moderate if they put their minds to it. I never would have been so cavalier about cocaine or heroin, but for some reason I didn't believe alcohol could have such a strong grasp.

How could I have been so wrong about that? It's scary, yes. I think it shows how pervasive cultural ideas can be.

When I came to terms with alcohol as serious substance and understood it wasn't just a matter of "self-control" I finally was nearing the corner to the finish line of accepting drinking wasn't for me (still took about two years). The TED talk looks interesting; I'm going to listen!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I thought I couldnt have a happy life without alcohol....
GOOD ONE. Me too!

I've got a huge interior walk-in closet of WRONG thoughts to weed through.

One that got thrown out pretty easily was that I'd spent good money on fancy pretty champagne flutes and it would be a waste never to use them. WRONG. Feels good to admit that!

Turns out you can put OTHER LIQUIDS in champagne flutes!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The post about champagne flutes made me laugh. I got so that i had broken every single exquisite drinking vessle I ever owned. I have sent a fortune of crystal flying (quite by drunken accident) and cussed mysefl hours/days/weeks later when - after spending ages looking for them - that little glimmer of memory reminded me that i'd broken it all. So - then - investing further in my problem (and just be sure I could continue on my road of destruction) i went out and bought plastic (unbreakable) drinking 'glasses'.

I even tried to limit my drinking by submersing plastic, booze filled, bottles in water (in tupperware) so that i would have to wait until the ice thawed so i could get at the bottle inside. Great theory. However, under the influence i just took the tupperware out of the freezer, dropped it on the floor so smashing the surrounding ice, picking up the bottle inside and opening it.

It seems when the devil has his grip there is nothing we wont do to get at his evil.

Still struggling - but am in full frontal admittance that I am an alcoholic and i do not want want to die of this. Sigh....

Day four today (for the umpteenth time).
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Some thing was WRONG if you you don't drink/ smoke dope. What like of a freak ARE YOU, anyway? GO SOBER over the weekend because your'e low on funds? No way- that's what pawns shops are for. Keep losing your pocessions because you can't keep track of all the pawn tickets? Oh well... HIDE the booze- company's here! Maybe they'll bring over something and won't stay too long... so you can bring out your stuff when they leave & have a great one person party!
What's that? Have I been drinking? Of course not, boss! I didn't pass out, I just fell asleep in the freezing cold on the front porch where the neighborhood could see!

I said WHAT?!! I did WHAT?!! Im SO sorry- I didn't mean to hurt or embarress you again= I was just drunk, that's all! Why was I NOT invited for Thanksgiving? Why don't you come over anymore? What do you mean, "get & stay out of my life"?

30+ years of this. Just because I wanted to have " a good time." WRONG.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

30+ years of this. Just because I wanted to have " a good time." WRONG.[/QUOTE]

(Can't get this dang quote thing right!)

And the amazing part is, as each year passes, the fun never arrives! The alcohol definately did not serve the same purpose as it did in the beginning. How many years I chased it.

Went from the "life of the party" to Virginia Woolf in 15 years flat. What a mess!

(Rue the day I ever saw the Shoe Dance in PeeWee's Big Adventure - kinda like the 80's version of the lampshade on the head.)

Ah, well, that was then....this is now.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wink

Indeed it is. Maybe I was being a Little carried away last night, but I was thinking about that insane time in my life, and the insane thoughts that ran through my mind 24-7 EVERY DAY. Can you just imagine what the
'counter-culturial" way of thinking cost our generation & others? I thought I was so superior than the people I considered to be out-of it- working stiffs. Boy did I get taught a lesson.(!)

Anyway, your'e right- reflect on the past, but don't DWELL on it.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
So many of us believed we could drink despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary and it turns out we were wrong. Does it ever make you stop and wonder how you could have been so wrong about something?
Is this another post about Existentialism? Don't get me started on that again...
LOL!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BHF

[QUOTE=bellakeller;2968747]So many of us believed we could drink despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary and it turns out we were wrong. Does it ever make you stop and wonder how you could have been so wrong about something? QUOTE]

Towards the end (last year of drinking), I knew I couldn't successfully drink. I knew that I shouldn't be drinking and that it was going to turn out bad. I was aware of the consequences that I was risking, and yet I was willing to continue drinking....risking it all. It wasnt until it finally caught up to me that I had the "motivation" to quit.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's not a coincidence that alcoholism is categorized as a mental illness by the AMA. We all think alike but different from non-addicts. The Big Book describes us as self-centered in the extreme, grandiose, enormous ego with low self-esteem. Denial is a huge factor part of being an alcoholic.

We think like we do because we're addicts.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never got it wrong - I just correctly found 100's of ways of not doing it right....
Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
It's not a coincidence that alcoholism is categorized as a mental illness by the AMA. We all think alike but different from non-addicts. The Big Book describes us as self-centered in the extreme, grandiose, enormous ego with low self-esteem. Denial is a huge factor part of being an alcoholic.

We think like we do because we're addicts.
I've known alcoholics all over the spectrum, some as different as night and day. To project one set of attributes to all alcoholics is silly to the nth degree.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

as long as you learned from your mistakes there is no wrong since it brought you to another level
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I thought I couldnt have a happy life without alcohol....WRONG I thought i would be totally bored without alcohol.
I thought I wouldn't be able to have fun without alcohol...I dont know where I got the idea that I was having any fun in the end anyway.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by neonxpolkaxdots View Post
I thought I wouldn't be able to have fun without alcohol...
I thought I wouldn't be able to have happiness without alcohol... Turns out I was right. I now experience joy:

Where happiness is singular - joy is plural.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I learned that happiness doesn't come from outside of myself, and neither does joy. That meant that a bottle, a pill, a substance could never bring any real happiness.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I like to keep it positive....so rather than focus on my flaws....I'll just say.....I'm 47 years old....and I've been right for the last 17 days.....