Should I be concerned?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I be concerned?

My husband has been sober since early September (Sunday will mark 5 months!). I made the mistake of going to a comedy club that was inside a dance club a few weeks back. He was uncomfortable the entire time but made it through the 2 hour show without a drink. I didn't drink either. However, since that time he started drinking non-alcoholic beer. He is to the point now that he drinks a six pack of that every day after work. His drink of choice during his heavy drinking was never beer, it was always rum. But I don't know if I should be concerned about this and say something or just let it go.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If drinking NA beer keeps him from drinking the real thing, then great. There is a lot of mixed emotions about NA beer here. The topic comes up fairly often. Some people avoid it like the plague, while others enjoy an NA brew from time to time. It's a personal choice and if it keeps him from reaching for real alcohol, then I wouldn't be concerned. I'm sure you'll get responses from others who feel totally differently, but each person's sobriety is their own.

Another thing, you might get more responses if you post your thread in our Friends & Families of Alcoholics forum, which gets a lot more traffic. Welcome to SR!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in the "NA Beer is OK depending on the circumstances" camp, for RECOVERED alkies... Though, I haven't even wanted one for almost a year.... they really don't taste all that good...

However, in your case, YES... I would take a look at that... Would he have a whole six pack of diet coke after work?... Also, he's not recovered yet if he still gets really uncomfortable at a comedy club... but 5 months is still early.

Mark
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. Yes he would drink a 6 pack of diet coke. He has had a phobia since he was child about not having something to drink (by something I mean anything -- water, soda, kool-aid, alcohol). He drinks non-stop all day. It is nothing for him to go through 2 to 3 2-liters of diet soda a day. That is part of why I am not sure if I should be concerned.

He found an "amber" NA beer that he really likes, so I'm not sure if he just likes the taste of it or what the deal is. I know 5 months is early so it was my fault for thinking he would be ok at the club. I guess it will just take more time than I thought. I guess you cant spend 7-9 years in heavy drinking and then just shut it off after 5 months. He has done really good and I am so proud of him, I just dont want this NA thing to set him back if that is what it is doing. But if it is helping ...... I just do not know, lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some here are so disapproving of the NA that we run the risk of getting posts pulled if we get too specific regarding brands...

OK, well... he always has to be drinking something... Maybe see if you can steer him away from the NA and turn him on to, hmm... different teas... That's what I do in the evening now, brew a pot of some exotic (read expensive ) tea... white is great at nite, low caffeine, or oolong is interesting... and there is, I guess, a little "snob appeal" LOL...

I was good at a club like that at around a year, but I was slow and everyone is different.

Welcome to SR
Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Mark. He has been having trouble sleeping lately and I was thinking maybe it was the caffeine so I'll look into the tea!!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amber N/A beer is my favorite and it's probably better for me that a 6 pack of diet soda. My experience with it has been that after a while it becomes awfully filling, and that bloated sensation caused me to cut back. I seldom drink it now for that reason. Your husband may have the same experience after the thrill of the N/A wears off.

And it's probably better to stay away from people, places and things that make your husband uncomfortable. Five months isn't enough time in sobriety for him to be exposed to temptation. He's still on shaky ground.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kher View Post
my husband has been sober since early september (sunday will mark 5 months!). I made the mistake of going to a comedy club that was inside a dance club a few weeks back. He was uncomfortable the entire time but made it through the 2 hour show without a drink. I didn't drink either. However, since that time he started drinking non-alcoholic beer. he is to the point now that he drinks a six pack of that every day after work. His drink of choice during his heavy drinking was never beer, it was always rum. But i don't know if i should be concerned about this and say something or just let it go.
non-alcoholic beer...........is for non-alcoholics

Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If a sober friend of mine were drinking NA beer, I would be concerned and let them know about my concern. I wouldn't so much be concerned about he alcohol content of NA beer, but more the psychological side of it.

Here is a thread I found here at SR on the topic of non-alcoholic beer:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...olic-beer.html
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
For me - I was never a beer drinker, don't like the taste and didn't give me the effect I wanted fast enough - though I've drank my share. Same with alcoholic "dinner drinks" - but hard liquor was a huge downfall along with the dope. Near-beer is still taking the action of. At the holidays my mom serves sparkling cider - in a wine glass. This starts my psychological process in what I used to do. The obsession quickly takes over. I had to ask her not to serve it that way...and I don't need to have the bottle sitting at the dinner table.

Non-alcohol beer STILL CONTAINS ALCOHOL. Less than 0.5%, but it's still there. The body knows it's there.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholic people. Just sayin...
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Heard in a meeting: drinking non alcoholic beer is like snorting flour.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

At least snorting flour doesn't contain any of the drug that helped get me here, but it is still taking the action. My last white keytag was actually from doing just that...taking the action of. It was a pretty serious action...
Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The slogan "non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics" is a nice play on words, but it doesn't appear to have any hard evidence behind it. We might suspect that it could cause someone to slip back into old habits, but we also might suspect that it could help someone extinguish the danger of environmental cues (i.e. extinction in classical conditioning). Without any hard evidence, though---and remember, anecdotes are not hard evidence---it's impossible to say what if any effect drinking non-alcoholic beer will have.

Personally, my bets are on it being helpful, not harmful. But, again, that's just a suspicion based on my best guess.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Originally Posted by vinepest View Post
but it doesn't appear to have any hard evidence behind it.
Non-alcohol beer STILL CONTAINS ALCOHOL. Less than 0.5%, but it's still there. The body knows it's there.
I did the research myself - just like you can. Google it...:-)
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Personally, my bets are on it being helpful, not harmful. But, again, that's just a suspicion based on my best guess.
Most of my "best guesses" early on were usually wrong, but youre probably right. Just sayin...
Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have to tell you...I tried it. Even tho I did NOT like the taste of it (who are they trying to kid-near beer my ***) it did plant "time for a beer" idea in my head. I did not act on the thought..but was very aware of it. I spose it is different for each person..but I don't mess around with it any more at all. I will stick to iced tea..club soda with grapefruit juice..my favorite new drinks.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

The slogan "non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics" is a nice play on words, but it doesn't appear to have any hard evidence behind it. We might suspect that it could cause someone to slip back into old habits, but we also might suspect that it could help someone extinguish the danger of environmental cues (i.e. extinction in classical conditioning). Without any hard evidence, though---and remember, anecdotes are not hard evidence---it's impossible to say what if any effect drinking non-alcoholic beer will have.

so, personal experience's not hard enough evidence but guessworks ok?

Drinking NA beer did lead me back to the hard stuff....more than once....as a beer drinker I was drinking something that tasted like beer, looked like beer, came in a can like beer, drank it with my mates socially like beer...and it had a little bit of alcohol in it...but not enough...

Looking back I really set myself up.

I don't universalise my experiences - other people mileage may indeed vary but it's not much good me sharing other people's experience...

D
Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskerkissed View Post
I did the research myself - just like you can. Google it...:-)
Hmm. I did a Google search and didn't have any luck. Do you have some particular study in mind? Maybe if I had better keywords... ?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

This question comes up here quite often. I really wish they would make a stickie thread out of the best one so we could just refer people to that.

Most people here feel that non-alcoholic (actually, most contain 0.05% alcohol) is a bad idea because it's flirting with disaster. Many feel it will cause them to crave the real thing. Most say they drank beer to get drunk and not because the especially liked the taste. Of course, those people should definitely stay away from it.

On the other hand, there are those who will have a N/A brew occasionally. While it doesn't taste exactly like beer, it's close enough that it satisfies wanting that beer taste with certain foods, etc. I am one of those people. I would never suggest anyone try it if they were in the least bit fearful that it could cause them to crave the real thing. That has never happened with me and I have 2 1/2 years sober. I don't drink it that often; in fact, I haven't had any in a couple of months. I keep planning to buy some, but haven't done it yet.

In other words, it's a very personal decision.