This may be a dumb question...

Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This may be a dumb question...

but what is the job of a sponsor in rehab?? What do they do and what type of patient is requried to have one?? Thanks!!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So far I am stumped by the question, so I don't know how dumb it is. I didn't know one could have a "sponsor" in rehab. Maybe they have someone who advocates and guides a person in some rehab services and is called a sponsor, but I have no idea, because I have never been in that situation. Don't know if you will find an answer here quickly, but if not, you can try reposting this in one of the other sections that have a lot of traffic (like Newcomers or Alcoholism). Hopefully that will help.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've only seen sponsors being a part of 12-step programs. I don't think that inpatient or outpatient clinical rehabilitation programs normally have sponsors.

If you are interested in finding out about sponsors in 12-step programs... give this a read: finding a sponsor for 12 steps recovery

Hope this helps!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
but what is the job of a sponsor in rehab?? What do they do and what type of patient is requried to have one?? Thanks!!
Most rehab programs are only a few weeks long and suggest getting a sponsor when discharged. However, I have heard of some long-term programs that allow sponsors at some point when residents are allowed to leave the facilities in the evenings. Is this the scenario?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had an NA sponsor in rehab. We all had to get sponsors, either permanent or temporary, in either NA or AA, depending on our addiction. It was MY job to keep in contact with my sponsor, and let her know how I was doing. We worked the first three steps with our case managers, not our sponsors, so it was different than when you're in the program outside of rehab. My sponsor's job was to support me in my sobriety. I am sure it differs from rehab to rehab-- Some longer term ones probably have you work the steps with your sponsor and have you work more steps while you're there, I'm not sure.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to have a temporary sponsor from the community my second month in treatment... I was required to attend AA meetings in the community as well... I could not be discharged until I had a temporary sponsor lined up in my own community.

It was, I think, just a way to get us off on the right foot.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
a sponsor helps you through the steps