Recovery fallacies and misconceptions.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find a wide range of beliefs and opinions here StarryKnight.
Some use the BB and the 12 steps, others don't

D
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

What is BB?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
What is BB?
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Originally Posted by Starryknight
Based on the BB, it's either an alcoholic death or life on a spiritual basis. So those who think this is a fallacy don't use BB as basis for recovery?
As a non-theist my addiction treatment has been secular in nature. This treatment has been the best fit and one that I have had the best results with. I attempted to recover with only a faith-based program once, it didn't go well at all. For me spirituality, more precisely secular spirituality is a nice addition to my treatments but I'm not wholly dependent on it to be recovered.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Zencat,

I have a rather zen like orientation to spirituality myself. I'm curious what your "treatments" or treatment path consists of? You mention secular spirituality. I don't see the BB as incompatible with that at all. What is difference between faith-based and secular spirituality paths? Do you see BB as faith based? I am sincerely interested iin anything that will help me recover.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Flying Mane

I just read a great quote (sorry, out of an AA meeting!)-"Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell. Spirituality is for people who've been there." lol Something to that.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi Starryknight.

I didn't want to go too off topic on this thread so I started another thread with a reply to your questions.

Click this link: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2856920 to take you there.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Intolerance of anyone not sharing your opinion helps that other person to move forward in their efforts to achieve sobriety...
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Intolerance of anyone not sharing your opinion helps that other person to move forward in their efforts to achieve sobriety...
Sounds less like a fallacy and more like a truth to me.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roadkill123 View Post
This is my first post here and I am hoping for a little insight or clarification. Why does there seem to be so many fallacies and misconceptions about alcohol addiction and quitting vs. quitting another addiction such as nicotine?
You could name an entire laundry list of differences if you think a little about it.

Alcohol consumption is legal for adults, widespread-at least in western societies-and socially accepted.

For starters.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

So is nicotine...right?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I have seen a number of posts in this forum questioning the fallacies and misconceptions found in recovery. The following is what I have come to regard as the Big Three:

1. Not drinking/using treats addiction.
2. Knowledge treats addition
3. Logic and reason teats addiction.
Hmm. I'm not sure what motivated this post, but I feel like I should point out that abstinence and education are extremely important parts of every treatment program I've encountered. And careful reasoning may not constitute treatment per se, but surely it is an invaluable aid to all parts of life, not to mention a great virtue in its own right.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Having been on SR's forums for a wile, the fallacies and misconceptions regarding recovery I see are:
  • There is only one method/ideology that successfully treats every conceivable aspect of addiction. Either expounded by an individual or group.
  • Spirituality in any form is required to successfully treat all conditions that would be thought as alcoholism.
  • Individual effort void of a any recognizable recovery program will not completely return a person to a greater state of health; mentally, physically and emotionally.
Now that's a good post!

I haven't read the responses yet.... I wonder if people will have disagreed...
Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

It's unbelievable that it would be posted on a board for recovery. I might as well continue drinking, and not learn about my issues with alcohol, and just not think about it.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I can add one more: there is a solid consensus of how to work a recovery program .
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

remember our policies as much as our rules guys

Tolerance: Please respect the rights of others to hold beliefs and perspectives, which differ from yours. Our Sober Recovery Forum members are of many nationalities, ages, and cultures. Healthy, vigorous debate will further our goals, but only when guided by the tolerance that springs from mutual embrace of mission.
thanks
D
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roadkill123 View Post
This is my first post here and I am hoping for a little insight or clarification. Why does there seem to be so many fallacies and misconceptions about alcohol addiction and quitting vs. quitting another addiction such as nicotine? It seems that quitting nicotine everyone is happy for you but quit alcohol and everyone is waiting to label you a jerk (dry drunk) or a relapse waiting to happen because you don't follow AA, admit you are powerless, or somebody's idea of a recovery program. Can't you just decide you had enough alcohol in your life, quit, get over it, and move on with your life? Is this impossible to do? What am I missing here?

I don't know whether to draw parallels or not here but I quit a two can a day habit of chewing tobacco 4.5 years ago that I developed over 33 years basically cold turkey and with the help of an online support group. It was rough both physically and mentally and took a lot of will power but it got better over time. Did I have bad days? Heck yes, short tempered irritable, anxious, difficulty concentrating, sleeping, indecision, depression and feeling sorry for myself. Was I a Dry Nicotine Addict? No one was trying to label me as such. I got over it and moved on.

Are people worried every day that I might go back to using nicotine. Not that I am aware. I just don't want to do it. Same with alcohol. So am I being naive here? Can't somebody just quit and be a nice guy and have fun, be happy, and be glad they don't have to put up with all side of alcohol abuse without everyone whispering, well he didn't go to AA so he's not serious about quitting. What is that all about? Can't people just let somebody quit on their own? I do take advantage of counseling, eat well, educated myself on the disease, exercise and lurk on these support sites. I know it is a challenge, no walk in the park, but I got to believe time is on your side here. The desires and cravings get smaller every day.

Curious to hear what other's thoughts are on this.
I just had enough and decided to quit. Period. I do not consider myself an "alcoholic" or "recovered" or anything of the sort. I'm just a person who did a lot of damage to his life by drinking, eventually woke up to that fact, and quit as a direct result.

So I'm definitely sympathetic to your view. However, we should also keep in mind that alcoholics mistreat their family and friends in a way that smokers or chewers of tobacco never do. In other words, there is a moral component to alcoholism which is lacking in nicotine addiction, and people want it to be addressed. So if a person merely stops drinking, that may not satisfy his friends and family. He also needs to address whatever immoral habits he developed as a drunk.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that pushing a particular program of recovery (so to speak) is entirely inappropriate---especially when it is religious in nature.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I have a dear friend in AA who left AA and went to Smart. I told him Go Go Go: use whatever program works for you. If a non-faith based program works, use it. If AA works, use it. Just use whatever works!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vinepest View Post
I just had enough and decided to quit....... I'm just a person who did a lot of damage to his life by drinking, eventually woke up to that fact, and quit as a direct result.
Same experience here!

In my honest and humble opinion, when it comes to drinking and recovery, the only real tested, "tried and true" fallacies are the excuses we make up in our own minds to fulfill our desire to continue drinking. Personally speaking, I find "reason and logic" to be a great "mind tool" in being able to decipher the differences between what we may fabricate in our minds (excuses) as opposed to what makes sense from a rational point of view. After all, wasn't it reason and/or logic that allowed our minds to tell ourselves that it might actually be a "good idea" to quit drinking in the first place?