Recovery fallacies and misconceptions.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Favorite misconceptions of mine might be the foundations of other's beliefs and outlooks.

The saying that is heard often among people with little sober time is 'whoever got up first today is the most sober', which invites the observation that the next time those who believe that's so have a serious problem they should find a newcomer who was shaking it out all night and take their problem to them for some good advice based on solid principles and experience, and not bother the people who slept well and long.

If they wouldn't do that, then what does that mean regarding that low time mantra? Does it mean something is amiss with what they said? Is it still a misconception if it continues to be chanted out by many? Could so many newer people be so utterly wrong?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
'whoever got up first today is the most sober
I remember a guy of 7 years saying that to my sponsor in the first couple of weeks i was sober...he got a blasting from my sponsor which i agree with...that phrase makes it sound like we are silly people?!

I guess if you're 20 years sober and you've changed nothing and you're life is still screwed up then the saying applies but if you're 20 years sober and have fundamentally changed and got a new life the saying doesn't apply!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Misconceptions on addiction:

--There is a reliable treatment for addiction.
Maybe this is why some people choose to do nothing about their sobriety except put the drink down?

If i believed that statement i wouldn't bother doing anything myself either?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
Favorite misconceptions of mine might be the foundations of other's beliefs and outlooks.

The saying that is heard often among people with little sober time is 'whoever got up first today is the most sober', which invites the observation that the next time those who believe that's so have a serious problem they should find a newcomer who was shaking it out all night and take their problem to them for some good advice based on solid principles and experience, and not bother the people who slept well and long.

If they wouldn't do that, then what does that mean regarding that low time mantra? Does it mean something is amiss with what they said? Is it still a misconception if it continues to be chanted out by many? Could so many newer people be so utterly wrong?
Well, the "whoever got up first today is most sober" idea is based on the "one day at a time" philosophy espoused by 12 step programs. I personally think it is a twisted interpretation of the idea, but one does hear it repeated pretty frequently in the rooms and I think that is unfortunate. Frankly, if recovery was nothing more than a daily repeat of Day One, nobody would want it!

OTT
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The biggest fallacy in recovery that I know is the idea that I must wage a lifelong, one-day-at-a-time battle against an obsession to drink/drug.

The program of AA promises us freedom. If we have a spiritual experience through doing the steps.

One day at a time was never meant as a reference to not drinking-- it was meant as a way to live. They are different.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Well, the "whoever got up first today is most sober" idea is based on the "one day at a time" philosophy espoused by 12 step programs. I personally think it is a twisted interpretation of the idea, but one does hear it repeated pretty frequently in the rooms and I think that is unfortunate. Frankly, if recovery was nothing more than a daily repeat of Day One, nobody would want it!

OTT
One day at a time is not espoused by the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

It is a phrase from rehabs that crept into AA lingo.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
One day at a time is not espoused by the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

It is a phrase from rehabs that crept into AA lingo.
we live a day at a time, but we must want to quit drinking for good and for all. the "we dont drink a day at a time" is not Alcoholics Anonymous. If all AA promised me was not drinking a day at a time, I would not be here. It has delivered freedom, which I never had before, and for that I will go into any AA meeting, not caring if I am judged or not, and share the truth- and that is that AA promises me so much more than not drinking a day at a time.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more with Zencat.

If someone's an alcoholic, I'd say putting the drink down is a damn fine start. It's odd to see that trivialized here.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post

If someone's an alcoholic, I'd say putting the drink down is a damn fine start. It's odd to see that trivialized here.
I didn't see it trivialized, but perhaps I missed it. I think when abstinence is celebrated as the only meaningful barometer of success ("I didn't drink today and that makes me a winner"), it undermines the urgency to change. And then when they pick up two months, two years, or two decades later, they are baffled as to why abstinence stopped working.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post

There is nothing "trivialized here". Not-drinking ODAAT is a fine start BUT...

Like a car starting out in first gear, you will blow an engine if you stay in first gear too long!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

OK, sorry, maybe I should have phrased that differently. I guess what I question is the presumption that the "BUT" applies to all alcoholics. The only universal truth I see is the need to stop drinking. The rest... well, I think it depends on the person.

Personally I have several goals that extend beyond abstinence from alcohol. I do not believe my continued sobriety depends entirely on them, but they certainly can't hurt. However, I'm not sure that everybody has a laundry list of other issues. From what I read here at SR, there are people who seem to have all the internal and external elements in place for a happy life—except of course sobriety.

Are you guys saying that for EVERYONE drinking is just the tip of a spiritual and/or psychological iceberg?

Again, apologies if I came off too flip or harsh. I think this is an interesting topic and respect everyone's personal experiences.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

More fun misconceptions...

Resentments are perfectly ok to keep massaging and fanning into a white heat if the alcoholic believes it's justified to do so, even if the parties they are furious with are unaware, don't care, or are long dead, because it helps them process and heal the anger they feel by remaining very angry.

Alcoholics who get loaded out of their tiny minds on dope somehow remain sober through the experience somehow, and it's not obvious to everyone what's going on when they carefully state they are 'alcohol free'.

Someone who stays sober 7 1/2 weeks and drinks for a week and then doesn't for a week is actually now 8 1/2 weeks sober. Even more than that if they count that summer before the 6th grade when they didn't hardly drink much at all.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, cabledude, I agree resentments only hurt the one who feels them. Goes for even minor stuff I think, like someone cutting me off in traffic.

I haven't encountered those other types. But not sure I care what they do or say, either. Goes back to the whole resentment point...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

- Service will keep you sober. (Barf)

- Sobriety is in the coffee pot.

- No Meetings, no sobriety. Some meetings, some sobriety. A lot of meetings, a lot of sobriety.

- I didn't drink today, so I'm a winner.

- It's a "we program. (No it isn't, it's a spiritual program).
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Why is alcohol addiction so different?

This is my first post here and I am hoping for a little insight or clarification. Why does there seem to be so many fallacies and misconceptions about alcohol addiction and quitting vs. quitting another addiction such as nicotine? It seems that quitting nicotine everyone is happy for you but quit alcohol and everyone is waiting to label you a jerk (dry drunk) or a relapse waiting to happen because you don't follow AA, admit you are powerless, or somebody's idea of a recovery program. Can't you just decide you had enough alcohol in your life, quit, get over it, and move on with your life? Is this impossible to do? What am I missing here?

I don't know whether to draw parallels or not here but I quit a two can a day habit of chewing tobacco 4.5 years ago that I developed over 33 years basically cold turkey and with the help of an online support group. It was rough both physically and mentally and took a lot of will power but it got better over time. Did I have bad days? Heck yes, short tempered irritable, anxious, difficulty concentrating, sleeping, indecision, depression and feeling sorry for myself. Was I a Dry Nicotine Addict? No one was trying to label me as such. I got over it and moved on.

Are people worried every day that I might go back to using nicotine. Not that I am aware. I just don't want to do it. Same with alcohol. So am I being naive here? Can't somebody just quit and be a nice guy and have fun, be happy, and be glad they don't have to put up with all side of alcohol abuse without everyone whispering, well he didn't go to AA so he's not serious about quitting. What is that all about? Can't people just let somebody quit on their own? I do take advantage of counseling, eat well, educated myself on the disease, exercise and lurk on these support sites. I know it is a challenge, no walk in the park, but I got to believe time is on your side here. The desires and cravings get smaller every day.

Curious to hear what other's thoughts are on this.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR and good for you for deciding to live a sober life.

I didn't tell anyone when I stopped drinking because I was very vulnerable and I wasn't looking for unwanted input about my decision. I did, however, choose to lose a couple of people in my life who were toxic.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Roadkill123...

No ... AA is not the only way...and the text book
"Alcoholics Anonymous" states that.

Many of our SR members are happily successfuuly sober
by useing vvarious ways. I hope counseling gives
you a sober joy filled life.

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm surprised to hear that the need for life on a spiritual basis is considered a fallacy?
In my experience, some kind of spiritual solution is necessary for true recovery, as opposed to just abstinence. At least for me.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Starryknight View Post
I'm surprised to hear that the need for life on a spiritual basis is considered a fallacy?
In my experience, some kind of spiritual solution is necessary for true recovery, as opposed to just abstinence. At least for me.
The idea that it is necessary for everyone is a fallacy.

It is also a fallacy to claim that people who utilize secular recovery paths were never alcoholics in the first place, or that they cannot be enjoying "true" recovery.

OTT
Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Based on the BB, it's either an alcoholic death or life on a spiritual basis. So those who think this is a fallacy don't use BB as basis for recovery?