Information on treatment facilities?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Information on treatment facilities?

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the forum. After multiple seizures&severe withdrawal symptoms landing me in ICU for 11days, I am on my road to recovery.

I am looking into inpatient recovery facilities but there's so many I wanted some input through your experiences. If you can give me any info on the following it would be helpful!

1) Is there a difference in effectiveness of 30, 60 or 90day treatment?
2) In patient vs Outpatient and AA meetings
3) Have you been to an inpatient treatment center? If so which one and would you recommend it?

I currently live in NY, but am open to any facility-Looking into Betty Ford, Sierra Tuscon, etc but cost seems extremely high..

Thank you for your help in advance!
DrU2
Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I don't have any experience with treatment facilities. I found, that for me, AA got me to where I needed to be. Sober and Happy. If I have any advice at all, it would be to see a doctor you can trust. They could help point you in the right direction. Your local AA office/group probably does could. Best wishes to you and congradulations on taking a step in the right direction!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went through a 3 week (+5 days detox) stay at Banner in Scottsdale AZ. I really liked it. They are structured and strict, but it is a wonderful facility and the people who work there are pretty cool. They bring AA or NA meetings into the group every day, so we got inpatient AND NA/AA.

As for the 30-60-90 question, the longer the better. Even a few weeks or just a medical detox can help, but long-term recovery is great if you have the resources. There are even 6 month halfway houses that let you work off your payments while you are there.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haven't been to an inpatient. I thought about it, but I wanted to see if I could quit drinking in my home enviorment, since that is where I drank.

I did 4 months outpatient -- counseling mostly, and go to AA meetings regularly.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
I went to a 30 day program at a place called Penn Center in Pennsylvania. I'm sure most rehabs are pretty structured and they keep you moving. I think there were 4-5 AA meetings a week, some off site, which was nice just to get out during the weeks. If everything goes right I found it became a very comforting place to be and a valuable experience. As far as time, longer is better if you can do it. Great staff too.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

DrU2....Welcome to our recovery community...
I'm a non drinking alcoholic.

I went straight into AA to learn how to live sober and well.
It's been working great for me for years...
I have no experience to share on anything else.

Hope you to will find your way into
a healthy lifestyle and future....