Is AA Necessary?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What a great thread and such positive information Good stuff.

To add - I come to SR regularly (do far more reading here then posting to be honest) and I see a counselor and do daily work on making positive change in my life.

My first attempt was doing SR and while I had good intentions, I did not make any real lifestyle changes and all I was really doing was just not drinking. I actually stopped coming here and then I was on my own - didn't work out so well for me.

This time I put my sobriety first and everything in my life is centered around my recovery. I no longer white knuckle it, crave drinking or am afraid to be around alcohol. I have gained invaluable tools and of course I am still learning more and making change.

It is a journey and I am loving it. As Least shared - I see all of the good in me now and how much better my life has become and that in itself strengthens my recovery.

What I do know after all the years of battling with the bottle is that I will reach out and change up or add to my recovery if I find that it is no longer working for me or if I find that I can not make enough positive change with my current plan. I am strong enough to know better now that before reaching ever for the bottle that I will ask for help and for that I am beyond grateful. That for me is a major accomplishment.

All the best.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bellasprogram, maybe it's necessary or maybe it is a valuable thing to include. Maybe you would change along the way and decide to include AA. I have not been drinking, while not going to AA, but I might change too. Other people would find they need to do it now. Find what works for you, understanding it will take some input from you and not just come in the form of an instantaneous antidote.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I didn't feel that AA was for me. With a year sober, the mental health approach seems to work better in my case, I have a team of professionals. But I do still use a spiritual program - I'm a Christian. You have to be very committed and serious about it, whichever type of program/help you use. But trying to recover in isolated mode is usually extremely difficult.

I remember, in my first months sober, feeling uncertain about my recovery because I wasn't in a formal step program. The expression 'dry drunk' is still used now and then in recovery circles, in often a judgmental way to criticize someone else's method of recovery. But these days, AA is certainly not the only valid option out there. There are promising new treatments and progress being made in the field of addiction.

My first few meetings with AA and the people I met was actually very positive, for the most part, though I didn't take up the program. Many people who are nervous or reluctant of attending AA find themselves changing their minds once they do break the ice and attend a meeting.

That being said, for me it is whatever it takes to remain sober. Down the track, if AA is what is needed, I am willing to take it on. But for now, it is day to day sober and I am happy with what I am doing. I try to listen to all advice given to me and give it a fair hearing, not reject it on the basis of what I do and don't want to hear.

I don't know if AA is necessarily for every type of drinker out there either... not everyone who has an issue with drinking at some stage in their lives, needing some intervention to modify their behavior for positive health benefits, may be an 'alcoholic' or AA material. Though I am aware there is the danger there of some people using that as a standard to measure themselves against to exclude themselves or remain in denial.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Only you can answer that question. Seriously. Nobody can answer for you. What answer is the one that you won't like?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I agree with the consensus which to me is saying whatever works for you. For some that means AA for other another program And some of us use SR, self help books, God and counseling (me).

For me...I am happy in my sobriety. I am not white knuckling it. I do not feel at risk. I do not avoid people or places. I am at 99 days:-). I drank about 2 liters o wine a day for 5 years and never made it past a few days before. I think I've got two things going for me big time this round...SR and a miraculous abhorrence of alcohol.

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by dratsab View Post
a "dry drunk" who never resolved any of his issues that contributed to his alcoholism.
to me that is the SCARY part...the alcoholic thinks...HE DOES NOT NEED TO GET WELL, and NO recovery..

I hope people find any RECOVERY that works for them...and it becomes a LIFESTYLE CHANGE...and constantly growing and learning every day from it...
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I think that you need a program of recovery, but is doesn't have to be AA.

However, for me, AA gives me a great framework and steps to do. I don't have to think about it, I just do it.

Since alcoholism is both a physical disease and also a disease of our thinking, AA helps me overcome my "broken thinker."
Old 10-18-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The symptoms of alcholism are simular to most but how people stay sober differs. The key goal is to get sober, stay sober, and be happy. How is up to you.

AA works for most if you put the work into it. But there is no shortcut to acheive true sobereity.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bellasprogram View Post
in order to maintain a happy, healthy life without liquor?
There is a problem in this statement I wish to point out:

Life without liquor is simply life without liquor. It does not automatically become happy or healthy. A happy ending is not guaranteed with sobriety. The only thing that can be promised if you stop drinking is that you will be sober. The rest is up to you to change. AA is a tool that can be used to stop drinking and then be used to attempt to build a new life per the principles.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HidLid View Post
There is a problem in this statement I wish to point out:

Life without liquor is simply life without liquor. It does not automatically become happy or healthy. A happy ending is not guaranteed with sobriety. The only thing that can be promised if you stop drinking is that you will be sober. The rest is up to you to change. AA is a tool that can be used to stop drinking and then be used to attempt to build a new life per the principles.
Sorry...I'm confused....she didn't say a life without liquor but a happy healthy life without liquor? Where is the problem with the statement?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Once I got over my alcoholic ego, I realized that I needed a design for living.

I also realized that I knew absolutly nothing about living or being sober. I've been drinking for all of my adult life. How could I possible know how to get and stay sober in a healthy, happy way?

AA was my answer and I believe I've found a solution to my alcoholism.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For anyone interested in reading about Bellasprogram
tho she has not been here for a few weeks...
this is how she obtained her 13 years of sobriety

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2714670
Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
alcoholic ego
aaah, I so love those words...and that is what is needed to point out....IS THAT NOT WHAT RECOVERY IS ALL ABOUT? letting go of that ego and humility and moving on to a sober and HEALTHY LIFESTYLE?...I dont think it really matters what program you use...as long as you achieved what A CHANGE of life can do for you
Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think regardless of how you go about your recovery it makes sense to at least give AA a try. If only to check out the community.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Carol, thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea Bellasprogram had so much time behind her. I guess it's possible to question in oneself what to choose from time to time, even though it sounds like a long time later; and people newer to sobriety would think, "Why is she asking that now?" I know a friend who stopped going to meetings after 25 years all of a sudden and then went to some again.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I think you will find *something* is necessary.

For me it was AA and not only am I sober I've never been happier and more content as I've been in the past 4.5 years.

I don't know of anyone who got sober and had a happy and productive life as a result of doing nothing - i.e. if not AA then the approaches described above but *something* is necessary, this is a deadly condition.

Cathy31
x
Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

As you can see, there are different ways to go about getting sober and/or clean. Different strokes for different folks. Myself, the only other way I had tried beside AA was "my way" and that never worked. I am a member of AA today and have been for nearly 10 years, one day at a time. Today I live a happy, healthy life without liquor or drugs. Today I live a life that I never thought I was capable of living. Certainly never would have as the person I was. But AA has shown me a better way to live my life as a better person. A lot of changes were necessary to do so.

I have read a lot of posts here by people who have not chosen to walk the AA path and they seem to be better people for commiting themselves to a better way of living.

I don't think that it is necessary to go the AA way but for me, it was the way I went and it worked out great.

Wishing you the best in which ever way you chose to go. God bless and be with you.

Harry
Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No. but you can LEARN a lot with AA. It didn't work for me, but I must admit, after a lot of meetings , some benefical truths began to emerge which really helped me a lot in my quest for sobriety...............Why not take a look?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

For this recovering Alcoholic, i had never tried anything else except self will so AA is for me, I consider my self a walkin miracle to be sober 21months a day at a time! AA is for me, Not only have i got sober, I have a learned to be sober minded, how to live a life without Alcohol. Each to their own but i know AA works
Old 10-24-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

ok you have 2 choices.....

1, is white knuckle it and live a life as a dry drunk in which you wont change your behavoiur will be exactly the same which the same ignorance/self pity/shame/guilt/pride of how you are now, oh and yr never accept being wrong, or blaming everyone else and carry on being a liar and un-trustworthy.

2, try recovery/meetings/sponsor etc and this happens.
you will change, become a better person, realise its not all about you, become more pleasant to be around, become a caring person and accepting that maybe you may be wrong and then admitting it when you are, let god into yr life and take away all yr defects ie pride/jealousy/ignorance/selfishness and become a decent person always ready to help, and lose the desire to drink or take drugs, to which will let you live longer/healthier and save money. You will earn respect from others and realise that yr feel better just by helping others and being YOU.....

i know my choice, i hope you decide the same......my recovery is priceless, you cant buy how i feel........Keith