SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   What is Recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/)
-   -   presenting one year chip to my husband at AA (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/what-recovery/204558-presenting-one-year-chip-my-husband-aa.html)

lakelover 07-06-2010 12:49 PM

presenting one year chip to my husband at AA

Hello to everyone. I am new to this forum and am looking for ideas of what to say as I present my husband with his one year chip at his AA meeting this week He has asked me to do this and I am of course honored to do this for him. He asked me the other day if I have prepared my speech. I about fell on the floor....I said "what?!" and then "A speech!!!???"

So. Here I am. I can think of a million things to get up there and talk about. Of course all would be positive. But, what is usually said and how long does one have to talk? I am liable to go on and on since one of my best features is talking and going on and on.

Any suggestions?

keithj 07-06-2010 01:29 PM

What's acceptable or usual depends on the particulars of that group.

Under 2 minutes and just tell the truth would be hard to go wrong.

lakelover 07-06-2010 01:40 PM

Well that's just it. Not sure what is acceptable or usual for that group since I have never been to one of his open meetings. I often wondered why he has never asked me to come so I am going into this kind of blindfolded. It would have been a little easier perhaps seeing what others do in this meeting. At the same time, I feel good about the fact that he has asked me to give him his chip.

CarolD 07-06-2010 01:56 PM

You will be just fine....and it really does not matter
what you say or how long. Most everyone will be so
pleased to see the two of you are still maried!
:)
My adult son has often presented me with mine
He keeps it short ...along the lines of....
"My Mom is back after drinking took her away
I'm grateful to God and AA for her return"

Enjoy the celebration...my best to both of you.
Blessings

JJB 07-06-2010 02:01 PM

Hi again (saw you in the chatroom)
Glad to see you worked out how to post the thread and I hope lots of people will come along and give you some ideas.
Carol's certainly sounded good!
I can understand you must feel very honoured that your husband wants you to come along and be there for this special day.

lakelover 07-06-2010 03:48 PM

Yes JJB I do feel honored!! I guess that is why I want it to be special for him and say the right things.

Thank you for your kind words!

All of you! Thanks!!

Taking5 07-06-2010 07:17 PM

Speak from the heart. You can't say anything wrong if you do that.

least 07-06-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by dgillz (Post 2645381)
Speak from the heart. You can't say anything wrong if you do that.

I can't say it any better than that. :scoregood

AlwaysGrowing 07-06-2010 08:04 PM

Have some fun... Maybe say it seems like 20 years... LOL, then maybe a serious line.

TTOSBT 07-07-2010 04:01 PM

hi lakelover!

I never prepare a speech when I present tokens to anyone or even when I share my story as a speaker.

If you are spiritual, I would suggest that you take a few minutes before the meeting to quiet yourself, ask God to guide you and speak through you so that your husband's celebration can help another alcoholic.

My husband always come to see my get my birthday chips, but does not speak. He usually sits there and tries not to cry as my sponsor shares about us, lol.

So I would just share what it was like (for you and him, very briefly, nothing graphic), what happened (for you and him, briefly, nothing graphic) and what it is like now because of AA and the work he has done.

Congratulations to you both!! My husband and I are very happy today at 11 years married and my 2+ years of sobriety.

ETA: as an alcoholic, we like to hear the changes that others see in us, because sometimes it is not that clear to us.

fourmaggie 07-07-2010 07:28 PM

:c011:WOW! what a honor...*runs and gives you a hug*

we all talk about the alcoholic and the year of sobierty...I want to know is YOU...how did you do it...??

maybe express that at the celebration...how the 2 of you made it with recovery, YOU 2 MADE IT WORK....! thanks for sharing...you just gave me FAITH that it does WORK!!:scoregood

lakelover 07-08-2010 12:41 PM

Wow, I am so very touched by what each of you has shared with me. It brought tears to my eyes. I feel very ready after thinking about what I want to say for over a week now. I don't have it written down, I have it all in my head. And yes, I am going to ask God to work with me and guide me through it. You all have inspired me to the point that I am really looking forward to it. I am so emotional that actually, that is what will be the hardest for me...not drowning in my own tears. Wish me lucK! I will post later tonight.
Thanks to each and every one of your heartfelt words...it really has boosted me!!

Desert2trees 07-08-2010 12:48 PM

Sweetie - you are a testimonial to "hanging in there" - living with one of us in our mess is one thing... and then going through recovery with us supportive is even harder. Congratulations to both of you getting through it all.

You will do fine presenting his chip.... can't wait to see how it goes.

hug hug hug

lakelover 07-08-2010 08:17 PM

I did it!!!! I cried the WHOLE entire time but....I did it!! I have to say that it was truly a great feeling being able to give him his one year chip. I tried to hold back the tears but it was just too emotional. I was able to say what I wanted to say and gave them a few laughs so all in all it went very well by the grace of God. I am so very proud of my husband and hope I can be there for him next year and the year after that and the year after that and so on!!!!!!!!!

TTOSBT 07-13-2010 09:48 AM

Amazing & inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I am so glad that you were able to share this with your husband!!!

confused1920 07-13-2010 10:47 AM

wow

:day6:c029:
well first of all i want to congradulate you and your husband
and well just speak from the heart when i got my first year the first time around i had my mom give me my token she did not know what to say but she gave a brief summery of the story of my life but i hope things work out for you at the meeting ang once again congrats:day1