how to start?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how to start?

how does a person like me go from a 5th of Jack and atleast a 12 pack daily to nothing? I have been a heavy drinker since age 11 I am now 44 I dont know anything else.I have tried just cutting back but it doesn't work it just escalates to more and more alcohol. last week I had my 44th BD and I went on a bender and didn't wake up for 3 days! when will the alcohol leave my system? when will the cravings stop?
I have never gotten in trouble with the law because of my drinking but I am ruining my marriage my health and my life.
my last drink was Friday the 11th of June and its 9am monday and I want a drink now! but I don't.... I am really confused.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Congrats on your 3 days sober. I suggest you see a Doc. because it is very dangerous going cold turkey, i believe one is only truely getting sober after 3 months, im not sure about the cravings, i believe they don't really leave, you have to work through the 12 steps, are u planning to join a local AA group, they will be very helpful. We are here of course online, for when you really need to vent or have a word of encouragement. Keep posting, let us know how u are doing. Im sure others willl give you a better head start.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamm View Post
Congrats on your 3 days sober. I suggest you see a Doc. because it is very dangerous going cold turkey, i believe one is only truely getting sober after 3 months, im not sure about the cravings, i believe they don't really leave, you have to work through the 12 steps, are u planning to join a local AA group, they will be very helpful. We are here of course online, for when you really need to vent or have a word of encouragement. Keep posting, let us know how u are doing. Im sure others willl give you a better head start.
I have been thinking of joining a local group but I rarely ever leave my house anymore. I used to have friends but I no longer see them because I avoid them and do not return their calls anymore this started about 14 months ago I just dont want to see anyone or anyone to see me. except my Husband thats why I am here. I am trying to get my self feeling better physically first by taking care of myself and of course not drinking I thought then my self esteem might be better and I could start getting out a little at a time.I keep hearing about this Big Book what is that?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'd call the AA Hotline

Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings

find the # near you..... call them. Another alcoholic will answer - someone who's familiar with your situation because we've all seen it, done it or lived it ourselves. They can get someone to come see you.....

I'd love to get those calls from the hotline folks. Unfortunately, I have no drivers license so I can't go see ppl that easily.

Call them.......they're there for exactly the situation you described.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank just like you

I would humbly suggest.........

1. safe medical detox
2. AA
3. keep posting

AA worked for me, this is a great site since you can get input from various people about various methods of staying sober.

Best wishes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1lastchance View Post
how does a person like me go from a 5th of Jack and atleast a 12 pack daily to nothing?
How? Go to a meeting and get a sponser. Thats a good start. And remember that if you stick around long enough you may realize that your situation is not as dire as you think. Welcome.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll just echo everyone's comments: here was my list when I started out:

1) I Made a doctor appointment with the specific intent of discussion my alcoholism and requested my blood work done, particularly my liver levels.

2)Called the nearest outpatient alcoholic treatment center and set up an appointment for beginning my outpatient rehab program. I would have also considered inpatient rehab if it had been offerred to me, but after 2 meetings with a doctor and my future therapist, we decided on a 3 times weekly outpatient program.

3) Went to my first AA meeting

That was two years ago. My journey has not been a smooth ride: I relapsed, I was frustrated. I was ready to give up on AA many, many times, my outpatient program, my life. But, I didn't quit.
I'm not the same person I was two years ago. I was thinking just today that when I drank, I was using the telescope backwards: all I could see was that tiny little blurry spot in space and I didn't have a clue what I was looking at. When I finally got sober, I turned the telescope around around suddenly had a whole new view of everything.