How to abstain while in college

Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to abstain while in college

Hey,

I am a little more than a month into being sober from my DoC. I am happy with my progress so far, and am proud of myself, but I fear the exposure I might have to recreational drugs once I go to live at college in a couple of months. I am particularly afraid of temptations to stimulants such as Cocaine and Meth.

Does anyone know of any reading I could do to prepare for the situations I might face? Like, particular articles or blogs or anything?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was never interested at the time,. but I know that my university had several recovery groups, fellowships and the like.

I would guess colleges are basically the same the world over.
Maybe you could check out your campus for things like that, Teal?

D
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you a sponsor to help you through? I bet there must be something available through the college if nothing else. Glad you're forward thinking
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Teal, what are your accommodations? Roommates who use one drug or another probably pose a roadblock in sobriety, given that they bring their lifestyle (friends, late night parties, etc.) with them. My university has some recovery groups and I'm sure there are some sober people around here somewhere, although before this last month I've never looked. Is there a particular situation in mind that's troubling you?

Good topic. I'm rapidly approaching this hurdle as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tealvertigo View Post
Hey,
Does anyone know of any reading I could do to prepare for the situations I might face? Thanks
The Big Book of AA. Just sayin...
Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

One of the tricks my pesky, pleasure-loving midbrain used to play on me was to tell me that "everyone else gets loaded all the time, so you should, too."

One of the things I've noticed since I managed to put together a little sobriety is that most people don't get loaded at all, much lest often. And those who do drink and use in the quantities and frequency I used to don't have anything I want. Nothing at all.

I'm so grateful I had finally experienced enough pain that I could finally hang up my party hat. That I upgraded my ideal from "I can get loaded whenever I want" to "today I get to help someone get something they need."
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, having worked in a university for close to a decade, I understand your concern.

One of the things that made me successful in my undergrad experience is what I am planning to reinstitute in my current stage of life.

To some extent, it seems we humans become self fulling prophecies. Identify as a studier, you will be respected for hanging out in the library. Identify as an athlete, you will be respected for not drinking, because you are an athlete and you don't want the calories. You can still fit in, make friends, have a good time and not fall into the partier stereotype...which trust me, I have seen so many freshman fall into that trap and are gone by the end of first semester.

So, I say stay involved on here, find a recovery group at your school or in the town, and find something other than a partier to identify as and be it loud and proud. I used to go clubbin (don't recommend this...not for me right now...) but, I could go clubbing, dance all night with my friends, and they knew it was always bottled water for me. We had fun and they thought it was cool.

Well, best wishes, I know you can do it!

Last edited by RunningTheRace; 07-17-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling