Revamping AA

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

AA saved my life...I can't speak for others but I get very defensive, maybe too much so when someone wants to modify it. KeithJ's post was spot on...the traditions of AA allow it to work for anyone.

Having said that, you had a very valid question that got an answer. Also, if anyone was offended that is their problem not yours. Don't sweat it. I for one applaud your enthusiasm and wish you the best in your endeavours.

I leave you with this, when I speak in AA about my program I always say this is what works for me (or does not work) and I never assume that it is applicable for others. So please don't assume that what works for you or your boyfriend or other friends is true for all young people or any other person with a booze or drug problem.

All I have is MY EXPERIENCE and my story.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I've always thought of aa as a living organism; the steps and traditions transcend frivolous social trends and timeless tools that have the power to enrich and heal. It's like anything else; you get out of it what you put into it. In most areas there are numerous groups to choose from and if you're picky one can usually find a group (and young peoples chapters) that works for you. There is a reason that aa ha survived and flourished; flexibility, efficacy, and the efforts of members that actually care about the mission statement. For the rest, fake it till you make works for me.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
December 10th, 2008

NA is generally younger people from my experience. Alcohol addicts live longer than other addicts.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I see people in AA failing all the time. It's likley that it's because they're trying to change AA to suit them instead of changing themselves to fit AA.
In fact, isn't it a safe bet that we're in AA because we see a need for change in our lives to begin with??
Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lets re-write the constitution to while where at it

Great, another non alcoholic who knows how to improve AA. In AA we have traditions to protect us from "opinions". As a non alcoholic you have NO IDEA what the real alcoholic goes through. The program of AA works just fine, no need to change it. I hope your boyfriend gets the help he needs.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AA is NOT good for young people,
It might be more accurately stated "AA is not good for SOME people, no matter their age." I see quite a few young people, some very young, in meetings and they don't seem to have a problem with it. By all means, start your own 'young people's meeting' for the young people you know who don't agree with the AA format as you know it. But please don't make a blanket statement that AA is not good for (all) young people. That's just not so.