When is the best time to recover?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When is the best time to recover?

I know most people will suggest "now", but the problem is, I am just about to finish my final quarter at a 2-year college. Given my tendency to perform not-so-well when any physical changes take place that are major- i.e. withdrawal- is it wise to start the recovery process right now? Is there anything I can do to put my feet in the water, so to speak, and warm up for a full-on abstinence from ritalin, that wont cause me to fail in what I am currently doing? I will have the spring months off before I begin school again.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool NOT 'now'

Soooooo, your end-game plan is full-on abstinence from ritalin, I might ask, why are you taking ritalin in the first place....?....just abuse from buying off the street, originally prescribed by an MD and now abusing; prescribed by an MD, but just want all 'mood altering' drugs out of your system......?

Regardless of your answers to any of these questions, my answer to your question would be.............go and check with your doctor (or if you don't have a doctor, find one). This is just something that should be discussed with a physician...........or, perhaps a pharmacist (one who's 'been the biz' for a good long time and seems to know his/her swtuff......

Just MHO's; but I do hope you contact some professional..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The difficult thing is that I lost my ARNP (Nurse Practicioner in Psychiatry) and I havent been able to get into another Nurse/Psychatrist (she moved away). So, now, my general MD fills my prescriptions, but I dont feel comfortable talking to her about my addiction because she is a friend of the family, and she is on the judgemental side (she asked why my sister needed birth control from her, and grilled her).

I would like to not go off of it completely because it does help. Let me correct myself- I want to return to the dose I was prescribed and not be tempted to misfollow it intentionally.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would like to not go off of it completely because it does help. Let me correct myself- I want to return to the dose I was prescribed and not be tempted to misfollow it intentionally.
Thats the dream of every addict tho - I wanted to only drink a couple - get the benefits...then stop.

It just doesn't work like that.

I hope you find a professional to talk to TV - there has to be other medication options for you....

D
Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thats the dream of every addict tho - I wanted to only drink a couple - get the benefits...then stop.

It just doesn't work like that.

I hope you find a professional to talk to TV - there has to be other medication options for you....

D
Alright alright. I admit that it might be all or nothing in this case. I am getting kind of frustrated, but that's good, right? I guess it means I'm considering the reality of the problem. Blech.

Anyway, I tend to have this craving for medicine that I can feel. If I dont feel it, I get the impression that it isnt doing its job. Effectively, then, I cant always tell when I am unfocused or focused on something. It's so frustrating and I feel so stupid for having this problem. I am also extremely impatient (without my pills, of course...with them I'll let someone drive in front of me at 10 mph for a half hour on the freeway), self-pitying, narcissistic, dishonest (I have lied compulsively since a young age), and spiteful. In some ways, it feels like I have no right to not want to be depressed all the time.

If I go to a meeting, will I find other people with those problems, and will I be able to get better with those things?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TV,

I believe in the all-or-nothing philosophy too.

My suggestion would be to find a new dr - one who is not a family friend.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

When is too much of a bad thing good?

When too much suffering causes change.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
When is too much of a bad thing good?

When too much suffering causes change.
yup

scariest advice I ever got was "keep doing what you are doing"
Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was never able to plan my last drink. Like so many things in recovery, I am unable to plan them ahead of time. I was unable to not only plan my last drink, but I was also unable to plan on when I would return to AA. For me, it was like Boom.....you are separated from alcohol. Quite some time after that......Boom.....you're in AA. If you had asked me the day before, I would have said....Nah, I'm doing okay without AA, I haven't had a drink in almost 2 years. But there I was in a group of sober recovered alcoholics. That wasn't the plan you know. Boom.....now a sponsor has been placed in my life. And then Boom......I'm working the steps and in recovery. I'm an alcoholic....plans don't work for me.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP44 View Post
I was never able to plan my last drink. Like so many things in recovery, I am unable to plan them ahead of time. I was unable to not only plan my last drink, but I was also unable to plan on when I would return to AA. For me, it was like Boom.....you are separated from alcohol. Quite some time after that......Boom.....you're in AA. If you had asked me the day before, I would have said....Nah, I'm doing okay without AA, I haven't had a drink in almost 2 years. But there I was in a group of sober recovered alcoholics. That wasn't the plan you know. Boom.....now a sponsor has been placed in my life. And then Boom......I'm working the steps and in recovery. I'm an alcoholic....plans don't work for me.
And I guess I'm a drug addict. I never, ever wanted to call myself that, and I never planned to. I really feel disgusted to say I'm doing the same thing my cousins before me did, but I guess they don't matter at this point.

I always thought I was better than them because I enrolled in college, finished highschool, got a job, got a good car, never had problems with the law. In the end, the biggest difference is that i go to school and I swallow my pills vs. snorting them. Guess I can eat my words now, huh?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are having a lot of the same thoughts that many of us had in early recovery, or, even before recovery, when we were still thinking about quitting. Does this substance really help you perform better?

Well, if your doctor told you have a disease, would you say: "I'd like to wait a couple of years before you treat this disease"? Of course you wouldn't.
You've gotten some very good advice in switching to another doctor and coming clean about your use. Another doctor may very well suggest a rehab and recovery program at once.

I know it's scary. We have all been there. Fear of quitting and fear of continuing!
Good luck, keep coming back to SR. There is a lot of support here.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I want to reply quickly that I understand. I felt like I'd never be able to DO anything if I quit taking my painkillers because I'd be in pain and I'd never FEEL like doing anything ever again. That kept me going for a LONG LONG time. And I could lie and say I took them as prescibed. But I didn't. And they never lasted till my next Dr's visit. Now- well now I don't take opiates and I feel better, look better, am a functioning sober member of AA mind you, student, who keeps getting told they are doing well. Not only that but I know I'm doing well. There is a difference. I'm finally OK. Without the drugs. I see an Addictionologist to help me with the pain now and I'm taking other meds. If you wait two more years who knows what will happen by then. Could be good, probably will be bad. BUT if we did it, you can do it! I don't know who you are, but I love ya and I wish you well and hope you find that strength that you need to get over this hump.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think the best time for going into recovery is always "yesterday".In my case,I had so many relapses,when I set a date.For me I just woke up one morning,and just knew I was done.There was no planning,it just happened.My attitude just instantly changed.I don't know how..perhaps a "Higher Power"?I have found that whatever it was...I need to hold onto it!I don't even think about alcohol now,and that IS a miracle.Now it's about cleaning up my wreckage of the past....that is the hard part!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe you can go to a Detox shelter where there is a physician on staff and "detox" from the ritalin that way?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Maybe the best time to start recovery would be 'now' before something really bad happens that can't be undone.