Seeking teen inpatient rehab in Michigan

Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
asp

Seeking teen inpatient rehab in Michigan

I am seeking help for a close friend's teen son - who needs dual diagnosis treatment, inpatient in Michigan help today! They are a Christian family, 15 year old son is crashing, rebelling, running away, etc.

Any suggestions for a good facility that provides good care - both psychiatric care and the addiction/recovery care as well - for as long as he needs it?

Parents are willing to consider long term residential care as well, as they realize that they are fighting for their son's life - at age 17 the kids can become their own guardians.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi asp

Welcome to SR.

I have no firsthand suggestions - I live in Australia - but I hope you find what you're looking for.

Heres a facility locator link
Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

D
Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too am not from Michigan, but the Salvation Army has some wonderful programs everywhere...and they cost nothing and have a good reputation. Maybe check with them, they can possibly recommend others as well.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Salvation Army?

The Salvation Army is NOT the place for a minor who needs psychiatric care. I know this from first hand experience as I went through their "Rehab" and was then hired as the House Manager for 2 years. They do not provide medical care of any kind.
I would suggest you call a major hospital in a metropolitan area. Ask for inpatient Psychiatric care and the intake coordinator can then direct you to a facility that can deal with a minor.
There are places that specialize in dual diagnosis clients who are underage.
Good Luck
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not to be a downer but I just wanted to say that if the parents are "forcing" their son to go to treatment the chances of it working aren't very good. From what I understand treatment has a very low success rate even if the patient wants to be there. If someone else is forcing them well...chances aren't very good.

I know that when I was younger I got into some trouble for pot and my parents tried all manner of "forcing" me to quit. Sent me to rehab, drug tested me, the whole gambit. The thing is at that age the natural instinct is to push back against your parents so it only made me more determined to smoke. Sure, they could force me to stop for a little while but eventually I would find a way around it, cheat drug tests, etc.

It wasn't until I got older and unfortunately got into some heavier and more destructive drugs that I realized I had a problem and made the decision to quit on my own. When I was younger there was nothing my parents could have done that would have made me stop. I'm sure it sucks to see your kid headed down the wrong path and not be able to stop him but unfortunately there are some things people have to find out for themselves.

I'm not saying that parents shouldn't try to help their children and that parents don't have the right to set boundaries for their children. I'm just saying that treatment is not a magical cure. May I ask what kind of addiction / other issues are going on? Teenage rebellion is one thing, serious chemical dependency is another.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by asp View Post

Any suggestions for a good facility that provides good care - both psychiatric care and the addiction/recovery care as well - for as long as he needs it?

Parents are willing to consider long term residential care as well, as they realize that they are fighting for their son's life - at age 17 the kids can become their own guardians.
Look into "Teen-challenge" and "Life-challenge"
Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

You might try the local health department for a referral. If you are in the Detroit area, Herman Kiefer is on the Lodge Service drive (that is where I went) I was able to go inpatient as indigent because I had no insurance. If you are not in the Detroit area, your local Health department should be able to help. Make sure you tell them that the young man is dual diagnosis and may need medication. There are places that can help. Good Luck.

Cathy