Physiology of recovery

Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physiology of recovery

Hi, is there anyone out there who knows, or knows of a source for information about the physiological effects of recovery? I am nearly five months sober, and, thank God, was never so severely ill that I required time in rehab or suffered the DTs. That said, clearly my sobriety is affecting my body, and most likely in positive ways.

As someone who likes to know "what's going on," I have become interested in the medium- and long-term effects of sobriety on different systems -- brain, liver, etc. And, I was also wondering if there are any special actions -- e.g. vitamins or the like (I'm definitely not a New-Age kind of guy!) -- that will help my body adjust.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Google. You can find everything you ever wanted to know by listing the subject on Google.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think b vitamins will help and omega-3s are basically good for everyone. Apart from that I am not sure.

My body is in much better shape and I am similar to you in that I never suffered "horrible" physical consequences.

The most noticeable thing is that my brain and cognitive function is VASTLY improved. I notice this mainly in therapy. I was in therapy before and am still in it and my ability to track myself and notice things and make connections is like night and day. It is really amazing. Honestly if that is not a case for abstinence I don't know what is.

Apart from that my body is much more muscular and leaner due to working out and not ingesting booze. Everyone notices and comments. I have a flat stomach which I didn't have before and I pretty much eat what I want. My skin looks amazing although that took some tweaking on my part (aka products, I hate adult acne).

As for research I would look here:
Welcome to NIAAA
June Russell's Health Facts: Alcohol - Brain Function & Memory
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

i hope that you find the information that you are looking for.

i like to enjoy the journey without that specific "head knowledge".
All i really need to understand is that if i don't pick up, i won't get high.
As far as any psychological effects, i really have'nt considered them.
Living a spiritual way of life in harmony with reality is enough for me.

Congrats on the clean time so far! Are you writing on the 12 Steps?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool

"...As someone who likes to know "what's going on," I have become interested in the medium- and long-term effects of sobriety on different systems -- brain, liver, etc..."

Most of the others here have given you good low-down on one's body and recovery.....especially how our body's seem to be feeling soooo much better when we're sober (most of us, anyway).

I've found that at my age some multivitamins are always a good bet (I usually use either Wal-Mart's of Wallgreen's generic version of Centrum Silver), and I throw in some extra 'C' since I still smoke. I tried some of the fish oils and combo's for 'joints' but found they did nothing for me.....

.....BUT, to get back to your question.....'long-term effects of sobriety' ...? I don't know about that. I found most of my 'long-term effects' were as a result of my addiction; not my sobriety/recovery......I guess one could say that the only effects I noticed were the reduction/the lessening of the effects of my addiction..... (o:

Keep on keepin' on......

NoelleR
Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

IMO you are putting the cart before the horse.

Even if you do learn about the physiological effects of recovery you might end up "enabling" your addiction by circumventing the DT's.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

Even if you do learn about the physiological effects of recovery you might end up "enabling" your addiction by circumventing the DT's.
Since DT's are potentially fatal, it's a really good circumstance to avoid.

At any rate, my doc agreed on the B vitamins, especially Thiamine (B1), in recovery. A heady dose of B's makes me feel much better, although they do turn your pee neon yellow. A multi is also a very good idea, as is . . . a diet low in fat, sugars and processed foods, exercise (getting endorphins in gear), and all the things docs tell non alcoholics to do.

There is a website, Treatment for Alcoholism | Help for Alcoholism | Medication for Alcoholism | Alcohol Treatment Program | How to Stop Drinking - My Way Out, that has more ideas on herbs and supplements, but I'm very wary of taking the prescription med touted on that site, Topamax. It was designed for people who suffer from migraine headaches, is not approved for treatment of alcoholism and has some really nasty side effects.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

Interesting take on the OP's question. I took it to mean "Now that I'm sober, I'd like to learn more about the internal changes with my body, and use that knowledge to reinforce the strength of my sobriety."

Guess I'm optimistic by default..

Anyway, I too would like to find some of this info, I think it would be a great read.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by ClaretandBlue View Post
Interesting take on the OP's question. I took it to mean "Now that I'm sober, I'd like to learn more about the internal changes with my body, and use that knowledge to reinforce the strength of my sobriety."
In my case the more I learned about physiology and DT's the more tricks & tips I learned about avoiding hangovers and treating my own DT's without trips to the hospital. In other words I used that knowledge to drink about 3 years longer than I should have before I felt my life was in danger.