Recovery without outside help....can it happen?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liquidfireangel View Post
i've never been to AA,it sounds like a waste of time to me... but what do i know.. ive never tried to quit anyway
LOL!

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.

Herbert Spencer
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

whatever... AA is for quitters
Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really important, if we want to keep this place the way it is, that we continue to respect other people's programmes

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
Thanks
D
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I've found that discussing recovery rates in or out of AA is like walking through a minefield. The only people I'm aware of that will proclaim successful recovery rates are those who run treatment centers. And they do that to attract new clients as well as impress insurance companies who end up paying for treatment. The problem, you see, is that it's a damn impossible thing to measure. What do we mean by recovery? And how do we measure success in recovery? There's no commonly accepted answer to these questions, so anyone who wants to throw out a statistic (however well published) does so using their own criteria for measurement.

Over the years I've heard success rates of AA to run anywhere from 5% to 30%, but these figures come from whoever's doing the study using whatever measuring criteria they choose. AA will never discuss recovery percentages. GSO acknowledges that there's no way to measure it. The standard response from GSO is "seldom have we seen a person fail...." While GSO does conduct a triannual survery of select home groups, it's a descriptive rather than prescriptive look at AA membership. It's merely a snapshot of AA membership at that time. If you go to aa.org you can view the last survey, done in 2007. You'll see that there's no analysis or predictive conclusions draw from the survey.

As for the rest of the claims to success of different approaches/programs out there, I take them with a dose of salt. AA has been around for 74 years, so it must be doing a few things right. But as Bill Wilson said, AA has no monopoly on sobriety. So if you're not successful with the program, try something else.

But let me emphasize that the success of your personal recovery depends 100% on you, not on any program. And how you measure your own success is up to you. I measure mine by staying sober today. So today I've been successful. I'll face tomorrow when it gets here.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

The frequent debates here on SR that take a wide variety of topics and boil them down to the either/or AA debate..... it gets a little tiring!

In answer to the original question, yes, I know two people who quit drinking without a program. Any kind of program. One has 19 years of sobriety this year, the other I've lost contact with, but he had about 10 years when I knew him.

I can completely understand the frustration of people achieving success outside of AA when their success and/or the "validity" of their alcoholism is questioned.

My views are very similar to sfgirls in that I am drawing from a variety of sources for my recovery. I think however that I am also in a unique situation. I live in Sweden and take advantage of an outpatient rehab center that is cost free (if you consider the tax rate here, "free" is a word with some retainers) and that includes a variety of medications made available, including naltrexone plus individual and/or group therapy plus doctor care and lab services. The addiction recovery care system is widely used here and it is the receptor for patients that would otherwise end up in court appointed AA programs if they were in the states.

I think the AA system here differs in a few respects, the important aspect that people are never court appointed to attend AA meetings here. I can't help but think that makes a difference: everyone coming into AA wants to be there, no one has been sent there. Add to that a somewhat mild approach to religion in general among the general population and you have a highly secular attitude in AA meetings.

There isn't an attitude here that it has to be "either/or". My therapist and physician at my rehab center encourage and support AA but they have the view that they are also providing their patients with a successful program, IF their patients are committed to do the work.

My sponsor at AA knows I continue to use my rehab center, she respects their methods and and she does not give me the ultimatum that I must choose AA or my rehab center.
So, it is interesting to see that people here seem to be suggesting that it has to be one or the other. I am experiencing the reality of one AND the other and I feel extremely grateful to have both.
I want to stay sober, so I use anything within my means and available to me to do so.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

an interesting thread and one where I find myself in agreement with many who've disagreed with me elsewhere

To answer the original poster, I'd say the following:

Yes, I think it is possible, but like any method of conquering an addiction it will be hard work and need commitment and resolve on behalf of the addict. I think the purpose of a recovery program (of whatever nature) is to define a roadmap and provide support towards a recovery. What the exact route and mechanisms of support are will vary from program to program - and some will be unpalatable to some people. Some will have uphill stretches at different points to others, some will have longer routes.

I personally don't like the way some AA people proclaim (something approaching) "100% success as long as you follow the steps thoroughly" as it seems a circular definition to me. That doesn't invalidate the approach though - it just shows that getting recovered is hard work. Maybe some other programs are less hard work for some people, but harder for other people

littlefish - I was interested in what you said about the Swedish model. Do you know what protocol(s) they supply naltrexone under?
a) given while abstinent to prevent cravings
b) given while drinking to assist in quitting/moderating
I ask because I know they use the latter protocol extensively in Finland - which I appreciate is a different culture and language, but is at least geographically close!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I once read a story about an Irishmen (can't remember his name) who stayed sober over 20 years by wrapping tight chains around his waist, thighs and biceps (self-mortification).

This was in the 1800's before there were any recovery programs. He was famous in Ireland for being the only Irishmen to beat dipsomania (alcoholism).
it apparently was 40 years Boleo
Matt Talbot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you might want to consider your last sentence too, as it is more than a little insulting to those of irish descent.

If I said "X was famous as the first black man to beat crack addiction" I'd (rightly) expect to be pilloried.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

littlefish - I was interested in what you said about the Swedish model. Do you know what protocol(s) they supply naltrexone under?
a) given while abstinent to prevent cravings
b) given while drinking to assist in quitting/moderating
I ask because I know they use the latter protocol extensively in Finland - which I appreciate is a different culture and language, but is at least geographically close!
I haven't discussed this with my nurse or doctor, but the treatment center's program is total abstinance as a goal, so I assume it would be given as a daily med in a non-drinking setting. However, I'm curious about this too, so I will be asking my nurse about it in the next few days.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liquidfireangel View Post
whatever... AA is for quitters

thank God i'm a quitter !!!! that has such a nice ring to it !!!!

Last edited by barrylane; 09-17-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: i want to track the thread
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

If, by the term "Program", do we mean "Go to Meetings"?
It is a fact that we can take the steps and get sober through the principles of AA without ever setting foot in a meeting. Just as we can sit in meetings every day of the week and never do the program. In the same manner we can worship God and follow The Ten Commandments without going to church. Does not going to Church make us any less children of God?
The "Program" of Alcoholics Anonymous is not a place to go for cheap coffee and good conversation. It is a way to live your life. Damn the meetings if that's what is causing people to avoid A.A.
It's still a good book and an excellent way to live your life.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

It is a fact that we can take the steps and get sober through the principles of AA without ever setting foot in a meeting. Just as we can sit in meetings every day of the week and never do the program. In the same manner we can worship God and follow The Ten Commandments without going to church. Does not going to Church make us any less children of God?
The "Program" of Alcoholics Anonymous is not a place to go for cheap coffee and good conversation. It is a way to live your life. Damn the meetings if that's what is causing people to avoid A.A.
In my case, I've thrown together a "program" that includes other things besides AA. I still see AA however as an important part of that program.
You've brought up an interesting point Pinkcuda.

Hmm, for me....although the AA literature is a great guide for staying sober, the comments people have made in AA meetings have been invaluable for me.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeedHappiness View Post
He has amazed me so far because he doesn't show any signs of a dry-drunk, nor has his attitude or personality turned nasty from cravings.
The symptoms of dry-drunkenness dont always manifest in physical actions or behavior. I never worked a program for more than a year of my sobriety and even I never realized that I had the symptoms of a dry drunk until I carefully analyzed my behavior.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
It is a fact that we can take the steps and get sober through the principles of AA without ever setting foot in a meeting... Damn the meetings if that's what is causing people to avoid A.A.
This is what concerns me. I read the big book. I'm starting to really get my head around working the steps - or at least unravel the tangle inside my head
It all makes sense to me BUT
I don't enjoy meetings. I resented having to spend all my waking hours thinking about alcohol. Does this mean I don't take recovery seriously? I hope not.I wish I did enjoy, or could at least tolerate, meetings. I've tried lots of different ones. I resent having to sit there for 1 and a half hours when I could be diggin the allotment or going for a walk.
I don't mean this to offend anyone. The people I met in Aa have got what I want!!!
Is it just me? What do others' do?
Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lulamay View Post
Is it just me? What do others' do?
Thanks
Not just you. Spend some time visiting different boards and you'll see that. I'm glad that AA is there for the people who like AA. The growing number of alternatives, the growing number of people who are openly critical of AA and the recent studies and statistics suggest that you are definitely not alone - AA is definitely not for everyone.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and discussion about my question.
I am sad to report though, that after 110 days of sobriety, my ABF has fallen off the wagon. He was so drunk Friday night that he could barely speak! I was devastated when he called me!! Sat-Mon.......no drinking. Last night, drunk again.
I am besides myself now and to the point of not caring anymore. I think a split is going to happen again, as I cannot mentally handle it anymore.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

NeedHappiness - My view is that a person who is an alcoholic must develop the life tools to resolve their problems (stress, anxiety, fear, anger, whatever) for which alcohol is their solution. I think that some people have a personality which naturally allows them to do this without a program (but from anecdotal evidence, there aren't many of those people). I suspect that many of those people just grow out of their alcohol abuse stage (like most college students) and become normal drinkers.

But, I am defining "program" pretty broadly here. For some it is AA (like me), but for others there are non-AA 12 step program, actively posting on SR, etc. They key is that you can't just not drink and do nothing else. From our experiences, it doesn't work too well for most.

Since alcoholism is progressive, it continues to get worse, and can get to a point where a person cannot ever drink. I believe that a person should try moderation first (e.g. set specific goals for the number of drinks that they will have and then be honest about how they did). If they are successful and can continue to drink at this level, then ok, fine. But, for an alcoholic, there is no way that they can do this. So, with this knoweldge in hand (that moderation didn't work), then they must accept that they are alcoholic.

Once they are alcoholic, then they must work on the root cause problems and not get complacent and listen to the voices in their head saying that they can drink again. Whatever "program" they choose to do this is up to them - as long as it is helping them to not drink.

I wish you the best.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear that NH.
x
Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Very puzzled.

661 days ago, courtesy of the Sober Time clock, I had a,'spitritual' experience resulting in the fact that not only my that my addiction to alcohol was removed but I cannot imbibe any alcohol for now my mind and body reject it completly. No other person has been involved in this event, I am still getting mentally and physically better day by day and am not complacent but to a certain extent , working on the basis of,'if a wheel ain't broke, don't fix it'at times I am still puzzled although I have no intention of falling into any retrogressive groove,(See, 'The Keys to the Kingdom, p.268 of the,'Big Book'.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi 43395,
I'm so glad to hear that you have clocked up 2 years of sobriety.
Do you go to AA? I'd like to hear more of your story.
I read about spontaneous recovery but never quite believe that it could be true. Is there more to it?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

A 'psychic change'

If a person is drinking heavily enough and is perhaps, alcohol dependent, as it says in the ,'Big Book' some life changing event, falling in love, a new job etc. can bring about sobriety, but and there's is unfortunately always buts if that person is a,'real alcoholic' and therefore suffers from, Alcohol-ISM such change is unlikely to occur.

Alcohol is but a symptom, it's the -ISM's that cause the problem, accepting the fact that alcoholics are physically,( they don't digest alchol at the same rate as ,'normal social drinkers) the acetone doesn't break down the carbohydrates, the acetone builds up, so does the craving, and before you know it, the vicious cycle of drinking kicks in and you're back where you started from, the aging factor will eventually make it much worse.

But if ,'the wheel ain't broken, don't fix it!' let him be his sober self, may be there will be new horizons for both of you.:praying