My wife is mean! She says it's all my fault!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My wife is mean! She says it's all my fault!

This rocky marriage has gone from bad to worse since I started AA.

My wife is all on the blame game for her own failures, depression. She's got a lot of boiling anger in herself to the point of ridiculous! This has led me to go back to drinking. In a turnabout she then blames me for drinking. I wasn't bad but I wasn't great either and I just liked my escape from a rocky marriage that started about 3 1/2 years ago.

Then she started going to Al Anon which I thought she must be serious about it. So, I started going to AA fellowship, read self-help books, and working on the 12 steps which helps me see hope.

And now, she blames me going to AA! Say what!? Yes, this absurd! She doesn't even remember our first 8 good years of our relationship. Just when she started going to Al Anon so she could learn to deal with me, only then to get angry just because I'm about ready to quit drinking (crossing my finger at this very minute for another minute here). I'm so sick her her telling me "your job affects me...it affects me...your drinking affect me...oh Al Anon told me that you were going to blame me". So, I ask her just as her counselor did, "So, what do you want"...only to respond with blank stares and a shrug on her shoulder.

She is already on her Rx and has two counselors and it's not working! It's been about 2 years since she hit rock button and has yet to improve. No matter what I say, at the slight opinion or better-than-her idea, she is so quick in judgment and blames me again for suppressing her thoughts. This isn't healthy for my recovery.

I want a divorce.

Howard
Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

So, what's stopping you?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I realized that I resented myself...

4 kids is the reason why I do all I can to tolerate it. My wife is NO sponsor of anything except the wrong stuff. Don't get me wrong, I was calm and open-minded when we talked. But later, as that recording kept going through my mind over and over built up my resentment and frustration.

Moving out to live alone isn't a good idea, either. However, I'll try to see if I can move out and live with a roommate in and around Houston until I recover. Suggestions are welcome my fellows.

Now, I have to start all over again.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a little confused... she's angry that you are about to quit drinking?

She's probably scared... even if your marriage was rocky, it was, probably somewhat stable... predictable... even if it wasn't her idea of a perfect relationship. And if you were in the bottle, she was OK to keep going in whatever dysfunction she was in...

Change is scary... Al-anon probably opened her eyes to some of the changes ahead... and things are not gonna be status quo for a while...

Fear turned inward is depression.... Turned outward it is anger.

Perhaps it's time to get started... don't drink, go to meetings, work the steps, pray. Work on YOUR recovery, you can only clean your side of the street. You can't clean hers...

Let God begin to restore YOU to sanity. Your wife can begin her journey when she is ready.

Mark
Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great comments, Mark. You'll make a great sponsor for me :-)

While I release my selfishness, I'll search for a middle ground (or maybe better none) in focusing just on my own peace and do all I can to absorb in her hurt and fear. Pass it through to God. Let it go.

Yes, she may be angry that I'm on my way to recovery. Her time will have to be on her own as I try take care of myself and the children, too.

In His Name,

Howard

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
I am a little confused... she's angry that you are about to quit drinking?

She's probably scared... even if your marriage was rocky, it was, probably somewhat stable... predictable... even if it wasn't her idea of a perfect relationship. And if you were in the bottle, she was OK to keep going in whatever dysfunction she was in...

Change is scary... Al-anon probably opened her eyes to some of the changes ahead... and things are not gonna be status quo for a while...

Fear turned inward is depression.... Turned outward it is anger.

Perhaps it's time to get started... don't drink, go to meetings, work the steps, pray. Work on YOUR recovery, you can only clean your side of the street. You can't clean hers...

Let God begin to restore YOU to sanity. Your wife can begin her journey when she is ready.

Mark
Old 04-23-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Angry, possibly because she is afraid...

Of all the things that I found difficult in early sobriety (which I am still sort of in... 7 months...) was the codependency thing. I found the Friends and Family section very helpful. Perhaps you can get some different insight if you post over there... Also, the Big Book of AA has a section to the wives and the family afterwards... Even if you are not interested in AA as a program.... I HIGHLY recommend reading at least those two chapters... You can get a Big Book at meetings, the library, Barnes and Noble... It's title is simply "Alcoholics Anonymous"

Weather is getting good in these parts... lookin' to do a long ride this weekend. It was good last weekend too. You ridin' much?

Mark
Old 04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

bikeforlife,

You may view this as harsh, but try to see it for how it is intended; as an asset to your recovery.

Do you want to b*tch about your wife or do you want to recover?

AA's Big Book says we can get sober no matter what. Wife or no wife, job or no job. Is that what you really want? If so, the complaints about others only distracts you. You stated that her blaming you led you back to drinking. Who's blaming who here?

Originally Posted by bike4life View Post
Yes, she may be angry that I'm on my way to recovery.
On your way to recovery and recovered are very different things. One requires action on your part and one requires justification about why you are right.

"Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings that the process required for its successful consumation."
Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It sounds like you and your wife are blaming each other for the problems you have.

You really should focus on yourself and your recovery. There is little you can do to change how your wife deals with her issues or how she feels.

Take care of yourself.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband is having a lot of problems with my sobriety. It's because we had patterns in our behavior that he became accustomed to.

It's like what they say about kids: even negative attention from the parent is desirable because it is some kind of attention.
We only gave each other negativity. Now I've withdrawn the negativity and that has made him insecure. Why(?), well, it was the only thing he got from me. So now he is confused.

Please understand it is hard for us to get sober but it is also hard for the people around us to adjust to our sobriety.

We become different people and that can be frightening to our partners and our family.

Essentially, despite being drunk they could count on us for being that same old drunk. Now we are not reliable that way....

give her a chance. She is going on a journey too.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe she's angry that you haven't quit drinking yet. Maybe she's tired of hearing you talk about recovery instead of working it.

You need a real sponsor, a face-to-face one that will call you on your sh!t. And when we first come in the rooms of AA we have a lot of sh!t with us. You are no exception, my friend. We addicts/alkies are no picnic to be married to.

If you are able to quit drinking for a few weeks or so and work through your fourth step, you'll be able to see this all more clearly, and with the help of your new relationship with your higher power and your sponsor, you will be able to see what you're supposed to do. Don't try to figure it out today.

How many meetings are you going to each week? Have you got a sponsor or a network yet? Keep coming back, more will be revealed.

Love,
KJ
Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by bike4life View Post
This rocky marriage has gone from bad to worse since I started AA.

My wife is all on the blame game for her own failures, depression. She's got a lot of boiling anger in herself to the point of ridiculous! This has led me to go back to drinking. In a turnabout she then blames me for drinking. I wasn't bad but I wasn't great either and I just liked my escape from a rocky marriage that started about 3 1/2 years ago.

Then she started going to Al Anon which I thought she must be serious about it. So, I started going to AA fellowship, read self-help books, and working on the 12 steps which helps me see hope.

And now, she blames me going to AA! Say what!? Yes, this absurd! She doesn't even remember our first 8 good years of our relationship. Just when she started going to Al Anon so she could learn to deal with me, only then to get angry just because I'm about ready to quit drinking (crossing my finger at this very minute for another minute here). I'm so sick her her telling me "your job affects me...it affects me...your drinking affect me...oh Al Anon told me that you were going to blame me". So, I ask her just as her counselor did, "So, what do you want"...only to respond with blank stares and a shrug on her shoulder.

She is already on her Rx and has two counselors and it's not working! It's been about 2 years since she hit rock button and has yet to improve. No matter what I say, at the slight opinion or better-than-her idea, she is so quick in judgment and blames me again for suppressing her thoughts. This isn't healthy for my recovery.

I want a divorce.

Howard
Howard,
IMO, you need to focus on recovery. The fact that you can still blame her for YOUR drinking tells me that you are MUCH more focused on her and her problems, than your own.
Please quit drinking, get involved in AA, get a sponsor and work your steps and you will find that no person, place or situation is ever responsible for us deciding to pick up that drink. That is on us!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You need to concentrate first on your recovery bro so that you'll never have to drink again. You also need to extend your patience on your wife if you really love her. Be understanding and get her out of that darkness because there is still hope. The two of you will eventually be happy again.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I totally agree with TTOSBT. What I wanted to say as well.

When you are going through the process some people will embrace the new you and you'll get tons of pats on the back, it'll feel great!

I feel a relationship can really take the focus off what the recovering person needs to be doing. For both people there can be a lot of conflict. For me I know looking back that this journey is one that I needed to do completely alone but with the help and support of others in the program that have "been there, done that".

When I started this journey I couldn't understand the no relationships thing. I totally get it now though. I thought "what about the support of my loved ones?" Oh no!! I learned that the focus truly needed to be on me. I was grateful for that!! For once I got to put me first.

I'm gaining on two years and in that time I have done all that I have heard in the rooms and the treatment center which I stayed at for quite a while and I stayed focused on what I need to do for me. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly........but what I do for me keeps me sober. It keeps ME mentally and emotionally healthy.

Howard, I was married for 8 years to a man who has many issues of his own. I tried getting sober while we were married and I looked around and everything was the same. He served me with divorce papers and it was the best thing that happened to me. At a very small and low level I still have to "deal" with him because we have a son together, however I don't live with him any more and the things that he would do that "caused me to drink" are not under the same roof as me any more. WHAT A BLESSING!!!!!!!!!

I know, for me, that when it comes to my sobriety that it needs to be THAT first and then I can handle the situations around me calmly, one at a time, one day at a time. A lot of work, it can be done and is so totally worth it!!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

From the perspective of the wife of a newly recovering, I can say that the hardest thing for me to hear wa that he needed to focus on him and him alone (be extremely selfish) in recovery and recovery comes before all else. So did drinking. What's new....your needs before the family once again?

He also feels so proud of being in recovery. I give him alot of credit for that. But there were alot of years he stuffed his feelings and pawned responsibility off on anyone else who would take it. Now he is proud of fixing his mistake, but can't understand why he isn't being thrown a parade.....So the rest of us who dealt with life and practiced emotional maturity and responsibility and accountability for years should thereby be "not proud?"

Sorry, lots of resentment about this issue today. Just thought you might be interested in where some of her anger issues may lie.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Live it

Originally Posted by FunnyOne View Post
From the perspective of the wife of a newly recovering, I can say that the hardest thing for me to hear wa that he needed to focus on him and him alone (be extremely selfish) in recovery and recovery comes before all else. So did drinking. What's new....your needs before the family once again?

He also feels so proud of being in recovery. I give him alot of credit for that. But there were alot of years he stuffed his feelings and pawned responsibility off on anyone else who would take it. Now he is proud of fixing his mistake, but can't understand why he isn't being thrown a parade.....So the rest of us who dealt with life and practiced emotional maturity and responsibility and accountability for years should thereby be "not proud?"

Sorry, lots of resentment about this issue today. Just thought you might be interested in where some of her anger issues may lie.
FunnyOne, although I am an addict and not a codependent (at least I haven't been for any significant length of time), I can understand what you mean. I see people in the rooms who still have a lot of work to do, but they have been clean for over a decade. People who behave and think as you describe. It is frustrating. I wonder if they will ever really change.

I believe that most addicts, when sober/clean and working an honest program, drastically change for the better. This is my opinion, formed through observation of other addicts. According to all of my colleagues, friends and family members, I am one of these addicts. My attitudes and actions have shifted positively and significantly over the past year. I do not say this proudly, just as a matter of fact. I am one of the majority. Big whoop. I am doing what I should have been doing the entire time. I've wasted years of my life and I am just now catching up. Before, I was far behind everyone else.

However, every so often I see an addict who does not seem to have done much changing. They are every bit as immature, egotistical, selfish, irritating and self-centered as someone who is still behind the crowd, in active addiction.

I just avoid these people. They have nothing to offer me and I am not interested in spending my time, energy or thoughts on them.

I'm sure that your significant other is not one of these extreme cases. Nonetheless, I just wanted to share that I can relate to your feelings. This has been an observation of mine and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to share it with you.

Blessings,
Sugar
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Well said FunnyOne!
I am the alcoholic but I feel VERY strongly that my family not pay anymore for my alcoholism. My sponsor supported me finding balance from the very beginning. She encouraged me to stay home as much as I was out and spend that time focused on my family. So from the get go I think that my family has benefited from my sobriety. I am proud of that. It is VITAL to my recovery. I do attend on average, 3 meetings a week, and I work the steps every day and etc. But I want to make a living amends to my family every day.

And SS, yup. I have seen those same people. It makes me a little sad but for the most part, they are just not a part of my day to day recovery. I am sorry FO, I just do not see that as recovery.

biker4life, I hope that you are working on your recovery. Check in with us.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Optimist

Originally Posted by FunnyOne View Post

Ditto
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If your wife is being antagonistic to you, and you've tried to handle her appropriately, then it's time to disconnect from that situation. You are the only one who controls you, NOT HER!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Heathen

The original poster disappeared a long time back..
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was going to say the same thing smacked, but I think the dialogue and the ideas occasionally live longer than the poster. The discussion takes on a life of it's own, after a while, and maybe the guy who first posted is long gone, but, the rest of us might get something out of the ideas being shared...