Addicts in AA

Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

When my script ran out I just did without. No drinking here. I can't speak for all addicts but I never resorted to the liquid substance although it was in the house. I think it is because I fall asleep on 1l2 a drink and then I have to contend with a headache or an upset stomach. Certainly did not drink even with it in the house when the well ran dry. I did my best several years back to drink and cut back on pills, did not work. I am not cut out to be a drinker.
I think I am weary of people generalizing my condition.
When I read that most addicts steal lie, etc which is not true lots of things people attribute to addicts that are sterotyping.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Addicts in AA are welcome as well as the topic of drug usage

Now for the hard core of the hard core, they should perhaps remember that AA and its guidelines were formed with a relatively small group of people, less than a thousand and that is the logic Bill and Bob used to essentially make a single focus on alcohol alone. However today we are millions strong and global.

Further when AA was formed women barely had been given the right to work, people of different races were not allowed onto public transportation and into public restaurants our nation was plagued with a lot of discrimination and drug addicts were also viewed as " a lessor form of life " by those focusing on money, power and prestige.

Our only requirement is the desire to stop drinking. PERIOD. Alcohol is classified as a narcotic by the american medical association, US customs, the ATF and most every country in the world. The effects of alcohol are also as dangerous or more dangerous than many of the street drugs available.

I had the experience to recently be "lectured" by a fellow member of alcoholics anonymous as I had a sponsee who had smoked dope, as in pot some six months ago and was angry with me as I did not want to celebrate his one year of sobriety.

The "lecture" was to inform me that AA deals only with alcohol and no other drugs. However adamant this person was to share his anger with me, I told him that the medium ( pot, booze, cocaine, heroin, legal pills bought at pharmacies ) are NOT the problem. We are the problem and our disease is linked to our thinking and or the lack of thinking. It does not matter what the drug is or what form we put it into our bodies. WE ARE THE PROBLEM as humans with this defect. We have the personality we could become addicted to PEZ Candies.

For the hardcore AA people to shove out people who have problems with drugs is insane. YES INSANE. If someone on here can tell me that you would gladly push someone out the door due to their drug of choice to protect some outdated "pure alcoholic" BS then I suggest you look at how spiritually fit you are. I do not want some poor souls blood on my hands and anyone who wants to sit and argue with me, bring it on. I got sober in 1987 and if you want someone to co sign that you are a dope smoker, but sober, then I suggest you should start drinking again as you are simply not done yet.

I go to some meetings where people get their panties all in a twist over the fact that someone brings up drugs. However I know for a fact that over a half dozen of them are smoking dope and or popping pills and show up stoned, but are sober. Anyone who actually buys this BS I have a bridge to sell you for a million dollars.

We are strong today by the millions and the original intentions of Bill and Bob where that at the time they thought they were incapable of helping everyone such as the addicts as well. But today the story is different.

The next person I witness belittle some poor soul cause they were hooked on drugs will have to deal with me directly and I will question how spiritually sick they are. Besides Alcohol is the "GATEWAY DRUG" for every addict I have ever met. If they want to talk about drugs in an AA meeting, well then just consider they all started with alcohol and are more than welcome to sit in an AA meeting. Any "singleness of purpose" snobs need to examine their own programs and re-evaluate their recovery dates and their fears as we are all wired for FEAR and somehow are egomaniacs with an inferiority complex. So we are better than and that is the tone I have heard for 22 years and I am sick of it.

We need to focus on unity and remember we ought never be organized as it stems from the rules.

Next remember that when someone shares about drugs in a meeting, then be darn sure to remember that they started with alcohol and chose a drug that was more powerful, but they got to that point via alcohol. When someone shares about drug use, they are following the rules of "please limit your sharing to topics pertaining to alcohol" and they are doing this when they are sharing about drug use. I have never in my life met a heroin addict that in the sixth grade said one day when they woke up" Gee whiz I think after school today I am going to shoot up some H" 99.9% of drug users started with alcohol and their only requirement for membership is a desires to stop using.

Anyone that wants to separate these is a snob, has clearly manipulated the big book for some elitist attitude reason, is better than "those people" and clearly does not remember their last drunk.

Also principals before personalities and this issue of AA and no talk of drugs is putting personalities before principles.

So anyone out there who pushes some poor soul out the door or interupts them when they share about drugs, ought be put in prison for attempted murder and be questioned about their spirituality. Luckily when I got clean and sober ( I drank a half gallon of everclear every day along with drug use and I EARNED my seat in AA ) when I got sober I had some dumb ass old timer tell me that I was not welcome in AA and that he had spilled more alcohol than I had every drank and that I was not welcome in AA. He changed his mind after his head went thru the sheet rock.....No I was not spiritually fit at the time, but I did get his attention with my comeback which was " well you moron if you had not spilled it so much you would have gotten here 20 years earlier." the fact is that drugs are bringing in younger people sooner and this is good and we have to lead by example and not get all uppity about being pure alcoholics as Dr. Bob states in the pamphlet " problems other than alcohol"

AA is not a club, not some elite social gathering or some place to discriminate against others as it is not spiritually fit and there is not place in the big book or any literature which states that anyone in AA can push someone else out. Show me.

The reality is that the people who are so red on this topic are the fools who want to use pot and other meds and then sit and fool themselves about being sober addicts.....what a joke...
Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a drug, classified as a schedule III narcotic

So if alcohol is a drug, then this drug can also be alcohol. Why people want to argue this is futile and rather funny.

Alcohol is a drug just like pot, cocaine, heroin, pills and food, gambling and sex.

It is NOT THE SUBSTANCE it is the person who you put in front of this drug.

I am rather sick and tired of the word games and the elitism as it is then about money property and prestige. Nothing else. and it has no place in our program.

If what people say is true, the Dr. Bob would have been writing scripts for pills left and right.

To get stuck on this elitist attitude of "pure alcoholics" is to greatly dishonor Bill and Bob.

It is key for us to remember that AA was formed to HELP people to recover from the disease of the mind.

Further the AA symbol is a triangle and a circle. For you who are educated like myself. The circle is known in the greek alphabet as a symbol for OMEGA which means "continuous" as in constant. the triangle is for the symbol for the letter D and also for the the greek letter DELTA which stands for CHANGE so put the two together and it spells out CONSTANT CHANGE and this is what AA is all about. We live in an every changing world.

Our constitution our forefathers wrote was also and has been subject to change with the times. They no longer hang people or burn witches...

So anyone caught up on the word games needs to take a good look at where they are coming from. If you are one of the pill addicts or pot heads wanting to sit and feel warm and fuzzy stoned in the meetings and pat yourself on the back.....for being SOBER....well all I have to say to you is this "keep coming back" LOL
Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

OUR COMMON WELFARE SHOULD COME FIRST.....COMMON is the first word and it has to do with ALL of us, addicts or alcoholics, WELFARE is meaning we all should be able to gain from this and does NOT EXCLUSIVELY pertain to ALCOHOL ALONE.

Tradition 8 we OUT NEVER BE ORGANIZED and the very statement of ruling people out is about "those people" not fitting into THEIR PERCEPTIONS of what this means.

Bill and Bob were both very well educated men. Had they been alive today to see the changes in our society and how rapidly our society is plagued with other drugs, then they would have with millions of people set this issue aside to SERVE A COMMON WELFARE....

This is not about rewriting the steps and with 22 years sober do not lecture me please
Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a DRUG. PERIOD. We cannot afford to be exclusive about this. Look it up and google it , AMA, AFT, US customs, Internationally known as a NARCOTIC. Lets not get caught up in some snobbery about this...
Old 05-23-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I could relate to most of what you wrote the last few posts recovery.

I have those feelings of rage and anger about the way the program appears to be in some places for some people from time to time.

I found it helpful to read someone expressing it far better than I can...I tend to get emotional and confused an unable to express myself.

I don't wanna stay in the anger cause it isn't helpful and it makes me miss the good things .... people are people and i always have to remember...they have the right to be wrong and the right to make stupid decisions....just like i do

I introduce myself as an alchoholic and addict. When i came to the program my first time in 1985, my drug of choice was most definately speed..althoug i drank daily and the last 9 mos hourly.

after my first meeting an oldtimer asked me about drugs and since that day i have always identified myself as an alchoholic and addict in meetings.

I have not used drugs (other than perscribed, as directed..for legitimate medical reasons) since 85. I have drank again, and now have 22 mos.

I absolutely know that i am an addict as well as alchoholic, but...you know...i actually don't remember much about my withdrawal from speed, or about the cravings...althoug I craved speed at times for the first 3-5 years from time to time. And I still occationally get that tummy tickle when i think of acid.

i'm focusing pretty hard right now on just introducing myself as an alchoholic addict and sharing my own expereince strenght and hope...regardless of what others think about it....I try not to focus on what someone before me said that i "know" is total hog wash.

Thats hard for me....i want to be liked and approved of...but i think it is the direction i need to go right now.

interesting thread
Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Emotionalism

Originally Posted by Recovery62 View Post
Now for the hard core of the hard core, they should perhaps remember that AA and its guidelines were formed with a relatively small group of people, less than a thousand and that is the logic Bill and Bob used to essentially make a single focus on alcohol alone. However today we are millions strong and global.

Further when AA was formed women barely had been given the right to work, people of different races were not allowed onto public transportation and into public restaurants our nation was plagued with a lot of discrimination and drug addicts were also viewed as " a lessor form of life " by those focusing on money, power and prestige.

Our only requirement is the desire to stop drinking. PERIOD. Alcohol is classified as a narcotic by the american medical association, US customs, the ATF and most every country in the world. The effects of alcohol are also as dangerous or more dangerous than many of the street drugs available.

I had the experience to recently be "lectured" by a fellow member of alcoholics anonymous as I had a sponsee who had smoked dope, as in pot some six months ago and was angry with me as I did not want to celebrate his one year of sobriety.

The "lecture" was to inform me that AA deals only with alcohol and no other drugs. However adamant this person was to share his anger with me, I told him that the medium ( pot, booze, cocaine, heroin, legal pills bought at pharmacies ) are NOT the problem. We are the problem and our disease is linked to our thinking and or the lack of thinking. It does not matter what the drug is or what form we put it into our bodies. WE ARE THE PROBLEM as humans with this defect. We have the personality we could become addicted to PEZ Candies.

For the hardcore AA people to shove out people who have problems with drugs is insane. YES INSANE. If someone on here can tell me that you would gladly push someone out the door due to their drug of choice to protect some outdated "pure alcoholic" BS then I suggest you look at how spiritually fit you are. I do not want some poor souls blood on my hands and anyone who wants to sit and argue with me, bring it on. I got sober in 1987 and if you want someone to co sign that you are a dope smoker, but sober, then I suggest you should start drinking again as you are simply not done yet.

I go to some meetings where people get their panties all in a twist over the fact that someone brings up drugs. However I know for a fact that over a half dozen of them are smoking dope and or popping pills and show up stoned, but are sober. Anyone who actually buys this BS I have a bridge to sell you for a million dollars.

We are strong today by the millions and the original intentions of Bill and Bob where that at the time they thought they were incapable of helping everyone such as the addicts as well. But today the story is different.

The next person I witness belittle some poor soul cause they were hooked on drugs will have to deal with me directly and I will question how spiritually sick they are. Besides Alcohol is the "GATEWAY DRUG" for every addict I have ever met. If they want to talk about drugs in an AA meeting, well then just consider they all started with alcohol and are more than welcome to sit in an AA meeting. Any "singleness of purpose" snobs need to examine their own programs and re-evaluate their recovery dates and their fears as we are all wired for FEAR and somehow are egomaniacs with an inferiority complex. So we are better than and that is the tone I have heard for 22 years and I am sick of it.

We need to focus on unity and remember we ought never be organized as it stems from the rules.

Next remember that when someone shares about drugs in a meeting, then be darn sure to remember that they started with alcohol and chose a drug that was more powerful, but they got to that point via alcohol. When someone shares about drug use, they are following the rules of "please limit your sharing to topics pertaining to alcohol" and they are doing this when they are sharing about drug use. I have never in my life met a heroin addict that in the sixth grade said one day when they woke up" Gee whiz I think after school today I am going to shoot up some H" 99.9% of drug users started with alcohol and their only requirement for membership is a desires to stop using.

Anyone that wants to separate these is a snob, has clearly manipulated the big book for some elitist attitude reason, is better than "those people" and clearly does not remember their last drunk.

Also principals before personalities and this issue of AA and no talk of drugs is putting personalities before principles.

So anyone out there who pushes some poor soul out the door or interupts them when they share about drugs, ought be put in prison for attempted murder and be questioned about their spirituality. Luckily when I got clean and sober ( I drank a half gallon of everclear every day along with drug use and I EARNED my seat in AA ) when I got sober I had some dumb ass old timer tell me that I was not welcome in AA and that he had spilled more alcohol than I had every drank and that I was not welcome in AA. He changed his mind after his head went thru the sheet rock.....No I was not spiritually fit at the time, but I did get his attention with my comeback which was " well you moron if you had not spilled it so much you would have gotten here 20 years earlier." the fact is that drugs are bringing in younger people sooner and this is good and we have to lead by example and not get all uppity about being pure alcoholics as Dr. Bob states in the pamphlet " problems other than alcohol"

AA is not a club, not some elite social gathering or some place to discriminate against others as it is not spiritually fit and there is not place in the big book or any literature which states that anyone in AA can push someone else out. Show me.

The reality is that the people who are so red on this topic are the fools who want to use pot and other meds and then sit and fool themselves about being sober addicts.....what a joke...

Once again twisting the tradition into what you would like it to say.

Tradition Three, long form: "Our membership ought to include all who suffer from ALCOHOLISM..." That means our membership ought to include all ALCOHOLICS who have a desire to stop drinking ALCOHOL.

You are so full of resentment you can't get your facts straight. Dr. Bob did not write the pamphlet "Problems Other Than Alcohol." Bill Wilson did, some nine years after Dr. Bob died. In that pamphlet, no mention is made of excluding alcoholics who also have had problems with other drugs. It says that we can't make non-alcoholic addicts into members nor mislead them into believing that they are members.
Jim
Old 05-23-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

We can't afford not to be exclusive

"Alcohol is a DRUG. PERIOD. We cannot afford to be exclusive about this. Look it up and google it , AMA, AFT, US customs, Internationally known as a NARCOTIC. Lets not get caught up in some snobbery about this.."

Our primary & single purpose is exclusive...to non-alcoholics.

I can help anyone I want in my daily life., but in AA I stick to a primary purpose.

More emotionalism.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

More Emotionalism

Originally Posted by Recovery62 View Post
OUR COMMON WELFARE SHOULD COME FIRST.....COMMON is the first word and it has to do with ALL of us, addicts or alcoholics, WELFARE is meaning we all should be able to gain from this and does NOT EXCLUSIVELY pertain to ALCOHOL ALONE.

Tradition 8 we OUT NEVER BE ORGANIZED and the very statement of ruling people out is about "those people" not fitting into THEIR PERCEPTIONS of what this means.

Bill and Bob were both very well educated men. Had they been alive today to see the changes in our society and how rapidly our society is plagued with other drugs, then they would have with millions of people set this issue aside to SERVE A COMMON WELFARE....

This is not about rewriting the steps and with 22 years sober do not lecture me please
That is why there is Narcotics Anonymous. Quit rewriting the Traditions.

Just read your profile. There are some inconsistencies. Sobriety date March 28, 2005 does not add up to 22 years. And apparently you haven't listened much to Clancy. I know his views on this topic.

Maybe you are a troll. Doesn't matter, you still don't know what you are talking about.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Jim, I fail to see how recovery62 is being resentful. Your name calling isn't helping anyone. Anyway, he makes some good points.

Maybe you're being resentful because you were both addicted to alcohol and speed but can't still explain what special quality makes you an "alcoholic". You know that's what this thread is really about and it has you riled up. Addiction is real.. people are addicted to all sorts of substances but you can't quantify alcoholism because its exclusive to AA and outside the medical establishment because of its "spiritual" connotations.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
Jim, I fail to see how recovery62 is being resentful. Your name calling isn't helping anyone. Anyway, he makes some good points.

Maybe you're being resentful because you were both addicted to alcohol and speed but can't still explain what special quality makes you an "alcoholic". You know that's what this thread is really about and it has you riled up. Addiction is real.. people are addicted to all sorts of substances but you can't quantify alcoholism because its exclusive to AA and outside the medical establishment because of its "spiritual" connotations.

I can explain exactly why I had a problem with speed and why I could quit using it when I wanted to. And I can explain exactly why I am an alcoholic and couldn't quit when I wanted to. Rather than type another lengthy post, go back through my previous posts, both on this thread and others.

As for your opinions about AA, take 'em to the secular forum or start another thread. It's bad enough when AA members are emotional and misinformed about it.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Enough!!! The purpose of Sober Recovery is for each of us to better _our_ lives. Sniping at each other and calling each other names is not allowed. Go walk outside and get some fresh air, see if that cools your tempers off a little.

Until you have cooled off, and are able to deal with each other with respect and dignity, this thread will be closed.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery