Addicts in AA

Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
???? Where did that come from?
From here!
I'm 6' tall and when I was taken to rehab
Joke. Not a good joke but it was the best I could do.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I had no idea that Meth made you taller.
Well I bet it makes you feel taller. Ezra Brooke made me feel 7'4". I was a 7'4" Charles Manson with a toothache.

Freedom, when you're saying EXAH, I at first thought you were saying ExperienceStrengthAndHope, kinda like we call our SO our Higher Power... Now I think you're saying Ex -A Orifice. Is that right?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well I bet it makes you feel taller. Ezra Brooke made me feel 7'4". I was a 7'4" Charles Manson with a toothache.

Freedom, when you're saying EXAH, I at first thought you were saying ExperienceStrengthAndHope, kinda like we call our SO our Higher Power... Now I think you're saying Ex -A Orifice. Is that right?
Ex addict husband, Ex a orifice, they are interchangable!

I was bulletproof for many years, don't know about taller.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
they are interchangable!
=)
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Alcohol may be a drug, but drugs are not alcohol.
Right; but addiciton is addiction no matter what you do. Drinking two 6packs every night; shovling cocaine up your nose everyday; poppin' pills at home; shooting heroin; or a mixture of a few different substances; etc,,,,,, It is all the same issue. It's all addiction. There shouldn't be an imaginary gap made between any of them. I totally agree and understand what tk1fry is saying here. Sure we all have differant needs but the idea of sobriety is the same.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The idea of sobriety is the same.

Whatever our 1st step is, it hopefully has us seeking God, or does God seek us?? (My devotional Prayer for the day suggested as much...1 Corinthians 1:18-31), anywho...

After that we make a decision, follow that decision up with some action, and it's probably pretty much the same exact program from that perspective.

Then there's the line... alcohol is but a symptom. It's one heck of a symptom though, as I probably have been thinking of it and the recovery from it more than most drunks these days.

But what's so important is the fact that all the other 11 Steps are plugged into Step 1, which is me and a bottle of booze. "So, do I really want to write that 4th step? Gee, IDK. Oh, bourbon. Sure. Where's that pen again?"
Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If you ever encounter any animosity at an AA meeting for being an addict, then go to a different meeting. It's unfortunate, but there are jerks in a lot of meetings who wear their sobriety on their sleeves. I've found that in all the meetings I go to (5 a week) a lot of folks introduce themselves as addicts and alcoholics. And most addicts start out by drinking before turning to drugs. They only thing AA asks is that in meeting you confine your discussion to your problems relating to alcohol.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

to the original poster...

I for one,disagree alcohol is a drug,according to AA literature,and that is what I use as my guide here...not the AMA, or NA which are outside organizations..and alcoholism is a illness or malady,not a addiction

AA sobers up drunks,not clean up addicts,and we are the worlds best at what we do,and we plan on staying that way-
thats why we do what we do

if AA is so bad,why do addicts,overeater's,and SA`s try and go?
Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

We ALL have a substance abuse problem!!! Since the AA's are running the meeting, what exactly is the problem, anyway? Why the snotty noses if an addict comes to a AA meeting to keep clean for one more day? Have some people forgotten who THEY ARE & WHERE THEY COME FROM??? Sheesh!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post
I for one,disagree alcohol is a drug,according to AA literature,and that is what I use as my guide here...
Hey, can you direct me to what literature states that? I'm just curious. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

"Sobriety - freedom from alcohol-- through the teaching and practice of the Twelve Steps, is the sole purpose of an AA group. Groups have repeatedly tried other activities and have alwaysys failed. It has also been learned that there is no possible way to make non-alcoholics into AA members.We have to confine our membership to alcoholics and we have to confine our AA groups to a single purpose. If we don't stick to these principles, we shall almost surely collapse.And if we collapse, we cannot help anyone."
Bill W.

"I see no way of making nonalcoholic addicts into AA Members. Experience says loudly that we can admit no exceptions, even though drug users and alcoholics happen to be first cousins of a sort. If we persist in trying this, I'm afraid it will be hard on the drug user himself, as well as on AA.
We must accept the fact that no nonalcoholic, whatever his affliction, can be converted into an alcoholic AA member". Bill W.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Was that a response to my question, Pinkcuda?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

No! It was just information I had that I thought might be of benefit to all. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what any of us think. What the designers of AA had intended it to be is all that really matters.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No! It was just information I had that I thought might be of benefit to all. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what any of us think. What the designers of AA had intended it to be is all that really matters.
Thanks for the clarification, Pinkcuda. I agree.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Could you please tell me what a non-alcoholic is? Is it simply someone who is not an alcoholic, or is there another way of defining that term?

What happens if you're not-not an alcoholic?

How does one actually define themselves as an alcoholic?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
I just sit down at the table and when it's my turn I say "I'm John and I'm an alcoholic"
Old 05-16-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
Could you please tell me what a non-alcoholic is? Is it simply someone who is not an alcoholic, or is there another way of defining that term?

What happens if you're not-not an alcoholic?

Simple. When you drink can you control the amount you drink? Can you drink and stop abruptly? Try this: Two drinks a day, no more, no less for thirty days.

And if still in doubt try this. Simply try leaving booze alone for a period of time, during this time also stay away from AA meetings or any other "support groups." The book Alcoholics Anonymous suggests a year, but if you are alcoholic, you probably won't make it a year. When you are trying not to drink pay attention to yourself. By that I mean are you restless, irritable, and discontent without a drink? Do you find yourself wanting to drink?

A non-alcoholic is simply that, someone who is not alcoholic. They could have a host of other problems and maladies like drug addiction, gambling, sex, mental illness or maybe they are just plain maladjusted to life. But if they don't have alcoholism, they aren't alcoholic. An alcoholic can also be afflicted with a host of other problems as well.

If you're not alcoholic please don't come to AA.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

"Sobriety - freedom from alcohol-- through the teaching and practice of the Twelve Steps, is the sole purpose of an AA group. Groups have repeatedly tried other activities and have alwaysys failed. It has also been learned that there is no possible way to make non-alcoholics into AA members.We have to confine our membership to alcoholics and we have to confine our AA groups to a single purpose. If we don't stick to these principles, we shall almost surely collapse.And if we collapse, we cannot help anyone."
Bill W.

"I see no way of making nonalcoholic addicts into AA Members. Experience says loudly that we can admit no exceptions, even though drug users and alcoholics happen to be first cousins of a sort. If we persist in trying this, I'm afraid it will be hard on the drug user himself, as well as on AA.
We must accept the fact that no nonalcoholic, whatever his affliction, can be converted into an alcoholic AA member". Bill W.
Just because you attend an AA meeting doesn't mean you are a member-Bill W did A LOT of acid, remember....................................
Old 05-16-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Bill was also an Alcoholic. Therefore he qualified.
To be a member of Alcoholics Anonymous a person must be capable of taking all 12 steps as they are worded. Not as they interpret them.
Therefore Step One, "Admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanagable"

We cannot substitute one word for another. While NA may consider Alcohol a "Drug" being a Meth addict does not qualify anyone to take step one in AA. Whether the meeting be open or closed. AA is for Alcoholics

Edit: I should know better than to get involved in this debate.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I thought anybody with a desire to stop drinking was qualified to be a member.