Recovery: Burden or Gift?

Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery: Burden or Gift?

Hi everyone,

There are many thoughts I see being expressed on SR that to me become genres of thought. One that comes to mind is the genre of sobriety as being a burden as opposed to being a gift.

For some, sobriety seems to be viewed as something that we have to put up with and that it leads to a static life. It's a thing that is hoisted upon our shoulders and acts like a burden that we have to carry for the rest of our lives. It may me mental, emotional, spiritual or even behavioral. Those of us who feel and think that way look at sobriety as being a "state of stuckness." They relegate themselves to being somehow unfulfilled and find that counting days and weeks and months is all they seem to end up living for.

There are those on the other hand who view sobriety as a gift, a God-send or an emancipation. To them, sobriety is not a burden but rather an enlightenment. It is a change in their very selves, their identity. They are not affected by any "sobriety fallout". There is no emptiness nor need to fill something with something else. Indeed, that which was too much is now gone and serenity is put in its' place.

I wish that everyone's sobriety could be dynamic and not static. To me, sobriety is not the end of something that leaves us with something else we are forced to live with. It's the beginning of something else that allows us to live with something that sets us free to be whoever we choose to be. This is what I hope for all who suffer from addiction.

This was also posted in Newcomers forum for greater feedback purposes.

Peace,
Ken
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

THE PROMISES

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
-- pp. 83-84 Alcoholics Anonymous

Sounds like quite a gift to me!

I guess I see it like this -- the gifts of recovery are things that we "get," not because we deserve them or are owed them, but simply because we "show up" and demonstrate our openness and our willingness to receive them by doing certain things, taking certain actions, trying to live a certain kind of life, etc... Personally, I do this within the context of working a 12 Step Program -- but I certainly don't believe that that is the only way that it can be done.

What I do believe is that the gift of real recovery and the ability to experience one's recovery as a gift comes from working one's recovery, not just on the physical level, but also on the emotional and spiritual levels. If one tries to give up one's drug-or-obsession of choice but does not do anything to effectively address the self-centeredness and the emotional & spiritual wounding/isolation that that drug-or-obsession masked and medicated, then it only makes sense that one would experience one's "non-using" state (which, IMO, should never be equated with "sobriety" or "recovery") as a terribly painful (and probably, ultimately, unbearable) burden.

freya
Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ken: I am a late to this thread, but I find your posting fascinating and want to reply.

The concept of the "genre of sobriety" and its being characterized as being a burden one carries is stunning. What other areas of our life do we degrade or discount as a burden? Parenting, work, education, working in the yard, writing, being a friend? The list could go on forever.

I look for ways in which my drinking behavior parallels my behavior in other areas of my life: seeing things as a burden rather than simply accepting them as they are and allowing myself to learn from, gain, or enjoy from each experience that comes my way.

Perhaps this behavior, associated with drinking or other aspects of my life, are what they refer to dry drunk behavior. However, I think that such behavior can be capsulated in your description of a "state of stuckness" with life in general.

I am not drinking but I believe that the drinking was either in response to, as a result of, or characteristic of my "static life."

I need to be very watchful and do my best to be aware of and avoid this "genre" of living, this static lifestyle.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Ken; they are very helpful to me.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that recovery is not a burden, but is a responsibility... we are responsible for our recovery. Healthy recovery, to me, means that we gladly take on our responsibilities and do not see them as burdens, but as gifts that give meaning to our existence.

Whenever I feel my sobriety is a burden, and, honestly, I do at times, I know that I am off course. Since AA is working for me, I mentally review those first three steps and usually I get back on track...

Mark
Old 03-22-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I view recovery as life long process the helps me become more emotionally, mentally and physically healthy. I do see it as my responsibility to gather the resources that aid me in my healing journey. For me recovery is a joyful challenge to grow into the best person I can be.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

burden or gift?

Gift.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What I can say to this is, well first of all Im not a guy who's totally engulfed in the program. I go to AA but I dont have a sponsor and I don't buy half of the spiritual stuff thats preached at meetings. However I am sober, and all I can say is everything is what you make it. If you feel your sobriety is a burden than maybe you just havent had enough of what your drinking will bring into your life and go back to drinking to compare which burden is heavier for you. I personally have not been suddenly awakened to a life of serenity, however I had a life full of garbage, so just living without that is good enough for me. Personally I don't see sobriety as a spiritual gift or as a burden, I see it as a positive life choice and its the most important thing for me to live a normal at least not terrible life. I think for me drinking and drugging stems from multiple personality flaws and problems occuring in my childhood and I need to confront and conquer them. This is the burden! If it was easy for us to confront these issues then we wouldn't have spent so long running away from them. Being sober will enable me to do this by enabling me to analyze my mindset in situations. I'm trying to see this as a challenge of personal development rather than a chore of agony. We are not powerless! A power greater than ourselves will give us the tools we need, but only we make the effort to progress!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you Missybuns and destructor. Here's a link to the other version of this thread if your interested. I appreciate your input.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rden-gift.html
Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Ken,
Good post I see it as a burden and a gift. Its certainly a burden when I want a beer and definitely a gift when I see the joy in my kids eyes when they are enjoying spending time a sober dad.
Mate thanks for your support when you got me through my first weekend 4 weeks ago. You certainly made it easier for me.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Leprechaun

It is only a burden until we fully grasp recovery then it becomes a gift.

Peace,
Lep
Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Hey Ken,
Good post I see it as a burden and a gift. Its certainly a burden when I want a beer and definitely a gift when I see the joy in my kids eyes when they are enjoying spending time a sober dad.
Mate thanks for your support when you got me through my first weekend 4 weeks ago. You certainly made it easier for me.
Hey Marty. You're most welcome for the support my good friend. You don't know how good it feels to hear that. (((Marty))) Sometimes I wonder if I really have a place here. Your words however have confirmed that what I am doing is helping others in need. Thank you again. I appreciate this so much!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
It is only a burden until we fully grasp recovery then it becomes a gift.

Peace,
Lep
I like this.....and actually I was thinking something similar this morning using the idea of pregnancy and childbirth as a metaphor (I know, it's hard for some of you 'guys' to relate, but c'mom, use your imaginations...and, yes, it really is that painful!)

...but, anyways, I was thinking about all the pain and the work involved in having a baby, and, really, recovery is a lot like that. Because, at first, you do know, somewhat, how hard/challenging/painful it's gonna be, but you really, really want the baby, so you "take the leap." And by the time you actually have the baby in your arms, you realize that the work involved was both harder and more painful than you imagnined, but the reward is also inmeasurably more wonderful than you imagined!

...so, I guess I still probably personally wouldn't use the word "burden," more like hard, sometimes painful work to attain a goal that, despite all of the work, is miraculous beyond what even that work, in and of itself, should reasonably be able to produce. This would be where HP comes in (or, in the case of pregnancy, hormones!)

freya
Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I really like that analogy freya. Like a baby, recovery needs to be continually nourished, cared for and loved. It is a dynamic "rebirth" of ourselves. A rebirth where we ourselves as man or woman are the primary care givers.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Live it

I think that (well, not just me - it's listed as a fact in the basic text, I think) that recovery is a process. Like any process, it takes time. Depending on how far down you started, it may take longer for some than for others to get well again. Like that song says, too, "Where you end up depends on where you start." So, if you began in a lower socioeconomic household with only one parent who had to work all of the time and you had to raise yourself, or the streets raise you, this process of getting well could take decades. Also, the process never truly ends. If you work it, it just keeps getting BETTER and BETTER.

I think recovery is a freaking GIFT! I can't believe how lucky I am. Addiction runs in my family (back HUNDREDS OF YEARS!!!). We have NOTORIOUS addicts in my family. As recently as my grandfather's decade, AA was too newfangled to be considered trustworthy by the average person. As a result, he died a very serious alcoholic. He was a very severe, strict, cold-hearted man. Had he found recovery, perhaps he could have been the loving, kind-hearted father that my own father needed.

If I didn't have NA, I wouldn't think that there was a way to quit using drugs. Like I thought before truly finding recovery, I would die from my opiate addiction. It would only be a matter of time. If I got lucky, I would still be young enough to not be too bad off, and I would still be hot, and people would still have good memories of me. If I was unlucky, I would have gotten really old, and it would be a slow, long, drawn-out process of dying, painful and disgusting, and I would get beaten up on the streets, robbed, raped, mutilated by the younger street people, and I would have NO friends, no dignity, no hope, no self-respect. I believed that WHEN was my only option. That suicide may be my only possible out.

I don't mean to scare anyone. I just need to get honest, because this is how I truly feel. This is my story.

Now, because of NA, I can get off of drugs. Also, because of suboxone, I can have an easier time doing it - and believe that it's possible to quit using street drugs. I have to say, that in my particular story, had I not had a suboxone doctor, I wouldn't even bother trying recovery. The only reason I'm trying it is because I got a GLIMMER OF HOPE when I quit shooting up because of suboxone. Now, I believe that I can try NA and working the steps. I kinda believe it can work for me, too, if I WORK IT.

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts on this subject. I look forward to my process of recovery and DIScovery: discovery of myself, my family, my friends, my boyfriend, my career, my world. I am lucky to still have family and friends to DIScover.

To me, it's not about REcovering something that I used to have ... BECAUSE I NEVER HAD IT. It's about DIScovering SOMETHING ENTIRELY NEW.

And that's exciting!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Even when i feel like all the work i still need to put into my recovery is a burden, i remind myself that getting caught in the grip of self obsession is far worse. This reawakens the gratitude i have of God giving me another day clean. The awareness of a spiritual reality is the gift i choose to life.

In active addiction, i was under the influence of a very cunning enemy of life.
In active recovery, i am in the loving care of a power greater than my addiction.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My recovery is a blessing. I am finally free of the demons destroying my life and happiness. I still have problems, actually seems like I have more problems just cause I'm more aware of them. But it's so good to face things clear headed and sober. Every sober day that passes I'm one day stronger. My worst day sober is far better than my best day drinking.

For me, recovery is truly a blessing.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

freya, I watched a couple ladies give birth and it wasn't painful to me at all, lol. (Don't slap me too hard, lol.)

Not having a hangover everyday is a gift, not wondering what life's about is a gift, not feeling like I'm missing something is a gift, so to me living sober is a gift. The burden was the bottle.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Being sober gives a whole new beginning for those who have previous drug or alcohol addiction problems. It also provides the opportunity for families and loved ones to be reunited again.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ridgeback Lover

What drinking has given me:
Hangovers..................................burden
Fear..........................................burd en
never drinking enough...................burden
ego...........................................burd en
fair weathered friends...................burden
lying..........................................bur den
secrets......................................burde n

What recovery has given me
Sprirituality.................................Gift
relationship with God....................Gift
truthfulness................................Gift (ego thinks different) lol
respect for myself........................Gift
Family's respect..........................Gift
renewed affair with wife................Gift
courage to face fears...................Gift (ego doesn't agree) lol
empathy for others.......................Gift (was/is a fear, im getting over it)

First time actually looking forward to painting Easter eggs.......tbd.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It is definitely a GIFT. One I thought was not attainable or deserved. BOOZE was a burden. Can't believe recovery happened. Can you spell Miracle?