My Quit Day is coming up and I need help

Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Quit Day is coming up and I need help

I have been drinking anywhere from 1/2 bottle of wine to a full bottle every night for many, many years. This is the routine: come home, have dinner with husband, watch tv together, drink together and continue to drink until I go to bed. I have spoken to my doctor about this and feel ready to quit. I have a quit day lined up for this Friday, February 20. My doctor has prescribed librium to help me through the anxiety, heart palps, etc., as well as told me to take Vitamin B and a multi as well as go to AA. So, I feel prepared. I'm trying to taper off this week, but that remains to be seen.

This is my question: I know I'm going to need to change this habit of dinner/wine/tv. This has been my way to unwind and also to medicate for sleep for years. My husband has already said he will stop drinking too. The dynamic is very twisted, and I can't even think about him at this point. Should I make a nice "cocktail" in the glass with seltzer and juice? Should I remove the glasses entirely so I'm not reminded of wine?

I began a health and fitness routine about a month ago and have drastically changed some other habits. For instance, I was hopelessly addicted to Starbucks and now I'm drinking green tea. I've lost weight, and feel pretty good. I'm also going to be training for a 100-mile bike ride which I think will help me keep my focus off of drinking. I honestly don't know what I am going to do with myself. Any suggestions would be great.

I quit once for 30 days (Rational Recovery) just to see if I could do it, and on day 31, I was right back at it. The entire time I was anxious and very depressed. I cried all the time. This time I want to try to take care of myself, but I really have no idea what the heck I'm doing. Should I get a therapist? I don't know how much I'm going to love AA, went a couple of times, but am willing to try again. Sorry for the long post. Thanks to all.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

I hate to be a prophet of doom but the fact is that you will feel bad before you feel better. That's why most of us who are on the drink don't want to let it go. So, the trap that you must not fall into is the one where you think after a few weeks all will be well. It simply won't be like that. You are removing something from your life that has been there for a long, long time. There will be a serious period of adjustment. But, what you msut remamber is that if you keep at it then sooner or later the day will come where you just don't care about having that drink and you will look in the mirror and feel proud of what you have achieved.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you found us!

I wonder why you are waiting until February 20th? Today seems like a good day to begin a sober life.

You are right about changing things in your life, because I truly believe that the drinking is a symptom. So removing the symptom is the beginning of the hard work. For me, I got rid of all the wine glasses and other stuff that reminded me of drinking. We never have alcohol in the house. I am glad that you are ready to change your life.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent you are changing your ways!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would do the same type of thing. Get home from work, pour a drink and watch the news. That was my way of relaxing. I had to find something else because that was so unhealthy. Like you, I'd continue drinking 'til bedtime. Now that I've quit drinking I don't even think about watching the news because that was the trigger. Now I work out almost every day. I rarely ever watch TV. There is too much other stuff I need to do. I also threw out everything that reminded me of drinking.