Do Pot and AA mix?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Ive got a whole lot to say on this one,but Im brand new to this board and don't wanna be branded by the "O.G"s immediatly lol... All I will say is pot has never killed anyone (ever) and helps many people (a whole debate on medical marijuana could come up).

Also,Im a big fan of being Sober for YOURself.Im a fan of Zen,meditation and finding your true self.But Im one of many (yes,believe it or not) people in recovery who chose to do things other than AA meetings to help.EVERY time I go to a meeting,wether its AA,NA,CMA ect ect I crave everything I went to the meeting for... like,immediatly.The meeting and the people themselves are a trigger for me.I do much better with one on one therapy,but unfortunatly can no longer receive it because of insurance problems :/

So...I thought I would try this online thing first.Kind of like,putting your toes in the pool to test the water before jumping all the way in...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

No
Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Cool

Actually, one could say that 'yes' pot and AA could mix. Remember, AA (which we all know stands for 'Alcoholics' Anonymous) has a Singleness of Purpose (recovery from alcoholism, dealing with alcohol, and sobriety---which they define as 'freedom from alcohol'). Check out their 'Singleness of Purpose' and their pamphlet 'Problems Other Than Alcohol.'
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by DeadAZ View Post
Ive got a whole lot to say on this one,but Im brand new to this board and don't wanna be branded by the "O.G"s immediatly lol... All I will say is pot has never killed anyone (ever) and helps many people (a whole debate on medical marijuana could come up).

Also,Im a big fan of being Sober for YOURself.Im a fan of Zen,meditation and finding your true self.But Im one of many (yes,believe it or not) people in recovery who chose to do things other than AA meetings to help.EVERY time I go to a meeting,wether its AA,NA,CMA ect ect I crave everything I went to the meeting for... like,immediatly.The meeting and the people themselves are a trigger for me.I do much better with one on one therapy,but unfortunatly can no longer receive it because of insurance problems :/

So...I thought I would try this online thing first.Kind of like,putting your toes in the pool to test the water before jumping all the way in...
Pot has never killed anyone (ever) why? Because you can't OD on it? So if your not dead, abusing pot is a non-issue?

People attempting recovery and in meetings are a trigger for you? Wow. Is that because some of them fail? Some of them succeed? Both ways? That must be really isolating. People here are also attempting recovery too. And succeeding. Hope that works well for you, you know. Seriously.

Well, nothing like just jumping in when you talk about pot just as you already have. Not sure that is playing it cool. Recovery is important here. Sitting by the pool stoned not so much.

Welcome to SR. There is lotsa help and fellowship here.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by FatphillySteak View Post
In no way do i go to meetings stoned, drive while smoking, or try to pass it on to newcomers as a remedy. It works for me, bottom line.
I've smoked my share of grass. Used to import it by the 1lb blocks too. Used to grow it on multiple 4x8 sheets of plywood. Yeah I did.

Being stoned is what it is and as a grass smoker, you don't really want to be un-stoned, at least i didn't. That would have been called down as a bummer in my day of using back in the 60's and 70's. Didn't like bummers. I doubt you like bummers either.

You're not stoned at meetings, eh? Or while driving? Mmmm. And when someone, anyone, anywhere asks for a toke, you always make an effort to make sure they are not newcomers to the scene, right?

Welcome to SR. There is alot of good help and recovery fellowship here.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Being stoned is what it is and as a grass smoker, you don't really want to be un-stoned, at least i didn't. That would have been called down as a bummer in my day of using back in the 60's and 70's. Didn't like bummers. I doubt you like bummers either.
Well, not so much the 60's. I was born in '57. Started using alcohol seriously in '69 and hopeless by '72. I began my alcohol trials in '67. Didn't get into seriously using grass until early '70's. Just sayin'...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

As a diabetic who smoked pot I would respectfully disagree pot could not kill anyone for various reasons. In my case mainly because I binge ate and my blood sugar levels would inevitably become dangerously high. So in the long term if I carried on it would ruin my health. Surely there must be an increased chance of type 2 diabetes in those who smoke and binge eat?

Also how can inhaling hot smoke be safe even through vaporizing? My chest always felt like crap for at least a week after I quit.

I personally do not consider my addiction to be about one drug in particular. When I quit codeine and uppers I turned to pot blowing all my cash on it and have only just gotten out of financial trouble.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can't believe this thead is still going...

All I will say is pot has never killed anyone (ever)
Sorry DeadAZ but tell that to my buddy who took his own life because of (his words) the mess he made of his mind smoking pot....tell that to my other buddy whose stoned reactions were just a little too slow in the traffic...tell that to the friends I have who are now battling COPD and other lung diseases....

Where addictions concerned I just don't think there's anything safe about any substance.

I'm not sure if it was said in this thread or another one...but I respect AA and it's singleness of purpose....but if you've been puffing on a joint in the carpark before the meeting, you're not the guy I'm gonna be looking to for inspiration or advice....

D
Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

I know people who stopped drinking but kept the pot around for their first 6-12 months in AA and somehow it worked and they dropped the pot habit too and they've been sober ever since. But that was a long time ago and things are ALOT different now-a-days. Pot is strictly prohibited in AA and there are actually people who are in AA for pot?!?!?! It is for this reason that AA scares me more than alcohol... somehow the police state crept in and took over. Of course, you can consume all of the "legal" pharmaceuticals you want.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

absolutely agree with NoelleR. My sponsor pointed out that it is the singleness of purpose which is part of the program's attraction. When i go to an AA meeting, i am not going to be listening to sex addicts share about their addiction. So, as a drunk, i knew what the basic subject would be.

Now, having said that- in our rural area ,i see a lot more open-ness re drugs at AA meetings. Just so few other meetings available. But i also saw a meeting disintegrate into every 'ism' i could imagine. took a group conscious to get back to singleness of purpose

BTW- i am an addict. and i agree with NA that "alcohol is a drug" [and we often remind ourselves: "so is pot"] so my main recovery program is NA.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TropicalMango View Post
The difference is that pot does not destroy you in the process (whether it is right or wrong).
My son's father would go to prison if caught with pot because he's been caught with pot. Failing a urine screen for a job would cost me my place to live and my ability to put food on my table. If I were caught with pot they could take my son away as it is an illegal substance.

I smoked pot for eight years and it destroyed my life.

Sober means sober.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Do Pot and AA work hmm..... No. Last I checked pot was illegal and if you feel that you need weed to help with your lonliness why not try something that is legal. If you have a problem with alcohol and able to recognize it, cant't you see you might be trying to justify it by changing one addiction for another?

The twelve-steps are supposed to promote change within oneself by finding character defects, making amends, etc.., but if you still feel you need to do illegal activity then I would really question ones dedication to self-change.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

AA doesn't approve for sure, but it might help you to cut down on drinking, stop for quite awhile at a time, and resume without getting drunk. Tetotalism might not be the best approach for many people entering the journey of recovery I find.

Last edited by groupsolutions; 02-25-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd like to remind everyone of our rule 2:

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
D
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
You're not stoned at meetings, eh? Or while driving? Mmmm. And when someone, anyone, anywhere asks for a toke, you always make an effort to make sure they are not newcomers to the scene, right?

Welcome to SR. There is alot of good help and recovery fellowship here.
Yes to all the above, and thank you for the welcome.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a recovery site.

As the topic seems to keep moving away from recovery here, I think we're done.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
D