Do Pot and AA mix?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
IO Storm

[QUOTE=nogard;2058410]
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Ok, so you have all had your laugh, I was making a serious point for me and I am somewhat surprised at how its being ridiculed and by a Forum Leader too.
Not ridiculed Kev...please.

Dee's post ..his own ESH..was just plain gut busting funny!

I responded because.as a recovered weed head..it was my experience as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TropicalMango View Post
Do pot and AA mix?

No.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Double thanks jimhere.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Nicely summarised Jimhere!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Please, no ad hominem attacks. Also, I am officially now OPINIONLESS.

Does Bill W. taking LSD starting in 1956 and continuing well into the sixties and AA mix?

Do his statements of continued sobriety regardless of his mind altering substance-taking mix, as well as his enthusiastic declarations about the drug? Apparently Bill W. believed these pursuits were in line with his interest in spirituality, and not at all a type of "slip."
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

That is an interesting point. And it never triggered his drinking? So worked for him.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Does Bill W. taking LSD starting in 1956 and continuing well into the sixties and AA mix?

Do his statements of continued sobriety regardless of his mind altering substance-taking mix, as well as his enthusiastic declarations about the drug? Apparently Bill W. believed these pursuits were in line with his interest in spirituality, and not at all a type of "slip."

TropicalMango: This has got to be one of the most disingenuous posts I've seen. Do you really expect anyone to believe that you are "opinionless" when all of the rest of the statements in your post are very clearly selected to reflect a very specific opinion????? C'mom, man, you are expressing your opinion in the facts you choose to mention and in the way you choose to mention them!

I admire Bill W. very highly -- but he is not my HP......nor am I so naive as to believe that he achieved perfection in his lifetime or so narrow-minded and incapable of doing my own critical thinking as to assume for one minute that there is nothing more or different to be said about recovery and working the 12 Steps than what he managed to say in his lifetime. The ways in which his own recovery process was far from perfect do not in any way, shape, or form "prove" anything other than that he was a human being with addiction problems who was willing to struggle very openly with those problems so that others could benefit from his experience, strength and hope.

freya

...and BTW, I don't personally have anything against people having opinions...as long as they express them honestly and directly and support them with their own careful, critical thinking and their own experience....Trying to disguise the fact that one has and is expressing opinions by quoting from The Big Book, The Bible, The Constitution or any other "source" no matter how well-respected, just doesn't fly with me.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freya View Post
TropicalMango: This has got to be one of the most disingenuous posts I've seen. Do you really expect anyone to believe that you are "opinionless" when all of the rest of the statements in your post are very clearly selected to reflect a very specific opinion????? C'mom, man, you are expressing your opinion in the facts you choose to mention and in the way you choose to mention them!
Listen, I am tired of these attacks against me. I sincerely regret to have participated in this discussion and I deeply resent these ad hominem attacks against me. Human beings all watch and observe the world through their senses and their particular perception. If I am to participate in this topic my personal views on the subject will of course come out. How is this "disingenuous"? My point is that from now on my opinion will not be under trial, a wish you clearly intend to disregard. All opinions are to be respected, even the opinion of the participant who began the topic!!

However, I am starting to understand the nature of your attacks against me, and the "disingenuous" you so like to quote may not, all in all, be on the side you claim it is...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

TropicalMango: That was not an attack aginst you -- it was a statement about something you wrote and chose to post. I'm really sorry that you choose not to engage in direct, honest conversation about this topic that you brought up because I think it could lead to a very interesting discussion...and since it is not my intention to hurt you and you clearly take any attempts to encourage you to approach your topic more directly and honestly as personal and hurtful, I'll apologize and bow out here as I do recognize the fact that this is "your thread" --- freya
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freya View Post
TropicalMango: That was not an attack aginst you -- it was a statement about something you wrote and chose to post. I'm really sorry that you choose not to engage in direct, honest conversation about this topic that you brought up because I think it could lead to a very interesting discussion...and since it is not my intention to hurt you and you clearly take any attempts to encourage you to approach your topic more directly and honestly as personal and hurtful, I'll apologize and bow out here as I do recognize the fact that this is "your thread" --- freya
Freya you are accusing me of disingenuity, are you not? I have also been accused of being a manipulator by another participant in a previous post. These are all arguments which attempt to undermine my character and thus to discredit any argument I may post. These are dishonest dialectical tools which have no place in a free discussion forum.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

A genuine question: what does "ad hominem" mean?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Freya you are accusing me of disingenuity, are you not? I have also been accused of being a manipulator by another participant in a previous post. These are all arguments which attempt to undermine my character and thus to discredit any argument I may post. These are dishonest dialectical tools which have no place in a free discussion forum.
I'll PM you - I have already said that I will not continue to post in this thread.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Rhetorical questions are opinion.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Listen, I am tired of these attacks against me. I sincerely regret to have participated in this discussion and I deeply resent these ad hominem attacks against me. Human beings all watch and observe the world through their senses and their particular perception. If I am to participate in this topic my personal views on the subject will of course come out. How is this "disingenuous"? My point is that from now on my opinion will not be under trial, a wish you clearly intend to disregard. All opinions are to be respected, even the opinion of the participant who began the topic!!

However, I am starting to understand the nature of your attacks against me, and the "disingenuous" you so like to quote may not, all in all, be on the side you claim it is...
Tropical,

I sincerely don't see any attacks toward you. Please consider the following:

You are posting on a recovery website. This site has never struck me as a forum to justify any drug use or encourage it. This is why you may feel like your opinion is under attack. Most of the people on this site are in active recovery, so the place they are in is a place of trying to better their lives and become better people. And they are trying very hard to start a new journey. Please respect this, because I don't feel like you are.

Many here have heard the arguments for and against pot a million times. (Obviously, we are recovering drug/alcohol users). You may perceive this as an attack, but I'll say it: your rhetorical, loaded questions are opinion. Period. And they are not opinion that is trying to help anyone here. They are opinion to make a point, to debate about something.

I am sorry if you feel you are being picked on, but really, this site is for people in recovery. If you are not looking at starting recovery, why are you here?

You seem like an intelligent person. If you are looking at bettering your life for yourself, only you know how to do that. And if that includes getting sober, you have my support on this site. Seriously. I am here for you.

Much love.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

A thread with this topic is bound to affect people on a recovery board and please remember the board rule:

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

Let's try to keep the discussion on the topic and not point fingers.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
IO Storm

My thank you buttons are disabled for some reason today..

Thanks for the reminder Anna.

And, I am sorry if I was harsh with you TM.

It was not my intention.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Thought I would google it as everyone was busy, and I am none the wiser.

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim

Oh no, got it now. Argue with the statement in the post, not the poster, right?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

TM when you say stuff like this on a recobery site

I know that cannabis can make you a better person, and if used in conjunction with a program that aims at self-change, can produce some interesting results.
it's an opinion - and opinions will be argued against.

Its a forum.

It's an interesting rhetorical strategy to then claim opinionlessness tho - does that mean you disown this statement now? or just that you have no opinion on AA and pot? Your BillW statement would speak against that, I think.

Cannabis did not make me, or anyone I know, a better person.
We just thought we were
D
Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I took many wonderful trips on weed..and never left the couch.

Wrote some fantastic songs, and poetry..but I wouldn't share it now with anyone.

I did write a poem here on SR, and shared it not too long ago.

I am proud of that one..it is about recovery. And how downright scary it is to face

life clean and sober with a clear head. But doable. Even if I have to crawl through it

at times. And old Bill is not my guru. God forbid. My conscience is.

Enough of my soapbox..I think...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This is a very interesting thread.