Hiya, new to the site and a question...

Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hiya, new to the site and a question...

I had been drinking for about 20 years, then a couple of weeks ago I faced losing my family because of my addiction. I quit drinking and haven't had any real cravings or wants except one night when we went to Hooter's, then bowling for my son's 15th birthday, I missed "knocking off the edge". My problem is that I'm sure like others, I get extremely bored and am easily agitated almost all the time. Will this agitation subside as I continue to get used to sobriety, or is it something I will have to constantly work on? Since quitting, it is sometimes very difficult to just "put on a happy face". Some things just **** me off and since I don't have a way to numb these feelings anymore, I tend to get frustrated very often. I appreciate anyone else's input especially if they have had similar experiences.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!

Many people experience anxiety in early sobriety. A good thread to take a look at is in our alcoholism forum. It is at the top and I think it is titled "Quitting, what to expect, what we did"

Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have been looking around and have found many posts about similar feelings. Thanks for the welcome and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh ya, emotions were raw for quite awhile.

I spent a lot of time on the telephone with other people in recovery. I am taking a lot of calls this winter from others with that same need. It's so nice to have people on the other end of that line who "get it."

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I expect I would feel the same, but I am lucky (for me anyway) that I live alone, I'm have no SO, and I don't have to spend a lot of time at my office.

So, I am not having much human to human contact during these first few days. I bet if I was around people right now they would be really annoying
Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi wolfdog and congratulations on your sobriety.

Totally normal, feeling like that after all those years of drinking imo..

In my case it took a while to stop feeling "at a loose end"

My whole life was based around alcohol and when/how to get more.

Takes a while for your brain to unlearn that feeling of "something is missing"

One of my hardest ones was learning to communicate with people without me being rounded off with booze.

or getting angry and NOT running of to the bar.

Undo ing 20 years of drinking and drinking thinking takes a while to unravel.

But it will with time im sure..........it did with me.

All those feelings have left me "one day at a time"

And they will for you.....sounds to me like your doing great.......trucker
Old 12-27-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Live and let live.

Smile

I totally relate to what you are saying. Especially when you say "sometimes its hard to put on a happy face." Yes, it is hard, but people do it anyway. Alcoholics tend to be a bit disconnected from reality and seek alcohol because it takes them away.

It is hard to deal with reality when you're sober, but it is also so rewarding as you will actually learn how to enjoy life without alcohol, how to deal with stress, you will notice that most people don't handle stress the way we do - usually by getting upset and seeking escape.

The last eight months for me have been a lesson in learning to live life. Alcoholics sort of stopped learning to deal with life when they started drinking.

But yes, the edginess and discomfort does go away - it does take time, but like anything, it gets better with practice. Get to some meetings (go everyday), or get into treatment if you can. It makes recovery so much easier.

nothing is better with alcohol. we know that, yet we just keep drinking. that is our disease. believe me, it does get better. All the best to you.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi wolfdog

I'm 3 1/2 mos C&S. Thankfully I don't get angry much, but, WOW, I can get nervous, anxious. It gets really bad when I'm home for too long without doing specific tasks/activities. It is very normal.

Take walks, listen to calming music, drink tea, come here to this forum, etc....

Abstinence is not recovery.....

Recovery is about acceptance, surrender, losing self centeredness, getting in touch with your higher power.... Many find that AA works well for them. Unless you have a significant reason why you wouldn't, I strongly suggest you find an AA group or groups you like and keep going back. Get the "Big Book" and read it.

Good job on your first couple of weeks! Keep on posting here.

Mark