Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

What would you say are the differences between NA & AA?

What would you say are the differences between NA & AA?

Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Not again

Well....this recoveredcrackhead will be forever grateful to the program of AA. Out of due respect I have grown comfortable as introducing myself as an alcoholic, which was never my problem. But a rose by any other name...

This is an interesting thread, as I can see geographical influences in the responses. Where I am from there is a big difference in the attendees, primarialy..ah,...geographic(?) or urban vs. suburban.
I started seeking recovery in NA because I thought.....If you go waaay back to the beginning of my story, you will see I had a problem with that, thinking I mean, but that's another arguement.
Anyway, I didn't fancy the bling and sagging pants and complaining about foodstamps and such. So I started going to AA, where I sought the examples and giudance of people I wanted to be like.
As I grew with AA and became interested in helping others, I really applied myself in learning the programs, AA & NA, in the books and in the meetings. I certainly must admit that NA meetings follow the book/program more closely than AA does. In actuality I believe that NA has influenced the AA meetings.
The NA book talks alot about getting a sponsor and going to meetings, the AA book hardly mentions meetings and suggest being a sponsor, attitudes which in reality are more like the NA way.
I find it ironic when people shy away from AA because of "the God thing". As I don't think God is talked about enough in meetings. This former atheist knows he was wrong and again I am forever indebted to AA for helping me realize the error of my ways.
As my strenth and commit grew in sobriety, I found my old obstinant self wanted to demand adherence to the Big Book. But alais, further prayer and meditation has soothed the savage beast. Although AA admits it is a "last chance" program for those in whom nothing else has worked, it has become a diversified self-help program. Being that I have completed the Recovery Coach Training and am in pursuit (still/again) of my degree in Chemical dependancy Counseling I realize what ever works for you is best for you and if I can help you find a meeting or a (life long) sponsor I will do so. Please know I would rather go for a 100 mile bike ride, that'll sober you up.

Be well
Larry