Getting a Sponsor....?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by mimi54321 View Post
I'm so ready for a sponsor so I'll see if I can get the courage up to ask someone
I have had many sponsors. Some good, some bad, some smart, some dumb, some old, some young, some nice and some tough as nails. It made no difference what-so-ever until I actually followed suggestions (good and bad).

I now realize that it was the "following of suggestions" that made the difference and not the quality of the sponsor. Working the steps is a process that involves willingness (the W in HOW).
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mimi54321 View Post
Thanks guys

I'll give it a whirl - just one more question....is there an unofficial amount of time you need or should be sober for before starting on the steps?

M xxxx
Think of alcoholism like you would cancer. If somebody told you you had cancer, how long would you wait to start treatment?

If you delay treatment of cancer, it will probably spread. Every day you delay treatment of alcoholism, your chances of picking up a drink get greater.

A good sponsor should teach you the program and help you through the steps, but you can learn the program by listening to the Joe and Charley tapes, available for free at silkworth.net. By doing so, you WILL BE WORKING THE STEPS.
It'll be a most worthwhile ~10 hours of your time, I can guarantee you that.
Is your recovery worth a measley 10 hours?