getting out of our own way

Old 10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting out of our own way

i have heard this phrase spoken of in the rooms many, many times. what does it mean to you and how do we get out of our own way. replies much appreciated:ghug
Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Would like to know this also.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sense no one has stepped up to the plate, I will try to answer the best way I know how,
using my own experience. My belief is, we are all on our own individual path to recovery.
After many relapses, and failures trying to do it my own way, the path I finally had to take in my recovery was a Spiritual path. I had to start first with Honesty, that I was powerless over Alcohol, and then an Open Mind, and Willingness to Change. Whenever I stopped my
forward progress by intellectual pride, ego, or a conscious decision not to do what was suggested, I was getting in my own way, on my path to recovery.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

The biggest road block to my recovery can be me. To explain; when I start to get lax about practicing the principles and steps in my life I find that my ego starts to grow. When that happens I stop relying and trusting in my HP. I start to become more selfish, self-centered, and the world quickly starts to become all about me in my own mind. I start to become more controlling of others. The best thing I can do is to "get out of my own way" by not letting up on my spiritual program. By doing this I am allowing my HP to utilize me in the best way possible which allows me to be the best that I can be. Without that connection with my HP my world starts to head back into unmanageability and insanity because I am the roadblock once again to my success. I hope that makes some kind of sense.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Getting out the way means the same thing as "getting out of our self". "Self" is the biggest obstacle to recovery. Doing what we want when we want gets us into trouble.

My sponsor says alcoholism is MORE about blind-spots than it is about alcohol or drugs. That is because when we trust "self" we end up trusting delusional thinking. Delusional thinking is what got us into trouble in the first place.

The single biggest antidote to delusional thinking is humility. Not the church kind of humility that leads to fear, guilt and shame. Rather the humility that is described in the 12&12 on page 20:

"...a clear recognition of what and who we really are followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be."