Noticing things I never did before

Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Our only hope

Noticing things I never did before

I guess since beer has been such a part of my life for so long I never realized all of the things I associated with it like Mowing, watering the yard,grilling...etc. I moved the yard Sat and after I was done I thought to myself time for a beer, I just kinda stepped back and thought wow looks like i have finally hit a point where I want a beer but luckily it was so hot I just grabbed a 32oz orange gatorade and chugged that bad boy till I got a brain freeze.

I still kinda wanted a a beer after that but I thought to myself I have made it this far, there is no reason to throw it all away now.

Also we went to Universal Orlando Sunday with some friends and I haven't been to an amusement park in years so it was new to me to see them selling beer everywhere. Once again it was so hot outside it helped deter me but I kept seeing more and more people walk by with their beers and I looked at my wife and told her I was craving one and she just said "is it really worth it?" She was right so I found an Icee stand so I could indulge in another brain freeze....lol.

I guess the first 6 days were easy but then certain things pop up making me crave a beer but I know I have to power to say no.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I moved the yard Sat and after I was done I thought to myself time for a beer, I just kinda stepped back and thought wow looks like i have finally hit a point where I want a beer but luckily it was so hot I just grabbed a 32oz orange gatorade and chugged that bad boy till I got a brain freeze.
OMG! I would have been thirsty too if I moved the yard!

I'm sorry. Just a sick alcoholic/addict sense of humor.

If you're only 6 days into your Recovery and can resist the temptations in situations like that, I commend you. Just be careful, don't get too confident because one of these times just the right thing may be off center and you may not have the strength to reach for something non alcoholic.

Not saying this is going to happen to you, but I've seen many people think they have this thing, "licked" and before they know what happened, they're drunk. I say this because it happened to me on more than one occassion.

Just be careful to not set yourself up by going to places where alcohol is readily available. I was a little over a year into my Recovery before I even went to a restaurant that served alcohol. I love Mexican food and only a few miles from my home is the best Mexican Restaurant that makes awesome Margaritas. I've consumed gallons of them in my life. I still enjoyed their food, but it was carry out for me! Still haven't been into a bar and in July, as long as I keep on working my Program, I will have 3 years in. There's no reason for me to walk into a bar. I only went there in the past to drink and socialize. I socialize now at AA/NA and doing other things with the friends I have made in the Program.

God Bless & remember . . . One Day at A Time,
Judy

Old 05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job on the six days! It is amazing how much becomes habit for us. It has been just over a month and I will still walk into convenience/grocery stores and my body automatically turns toward the wine section.

I walked into one a couple of days ago and actually got very confused and felt a little lost. I momentarily had forgotten why I even went in.

Sounds to me like you are doing okay.... just keep those frozen/cold drinks around. (I imagine that the brain freezes help you forget about wanting anything other than some tylenol or a finger in the eye!)