Recovering vs. Recovered

Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I said, I don't care what you call it, as long as you're doing it - and 'it' involves a whole lot more than just being sober.

I think one of the very best measures of recovery is how we conduct ourselves, and how we treat other people. That humility thing is a b**** to get.

Do I need to include a name and quote here or what?
D
Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Yeah, it was directed at you, as I included your quote and your name in the response.

It's seems like it's just words, but words and how we use them are very important. Let's take attitude for example. You say you have 11 years, hang out with winners, and stay sober one day at a time, and assume some people like to have a "pride thing."

Well that's great. I hang out with people who say "recovered." I also hang out with new people who will learn to say "recovered" as well.

Have a nice day.

I don't remember saying I agreed or disagreed with the "word " or not. I never stated what word the people I hang out with use either. I said maybe its a pride thing.....I don't know.
I will say now though.....they don't demand that everyone gets into a debating society about every single word in the big book, thank God or I would never have hung around.
Oh for a perfect world........

Best thing to do is just focus on your own recovery I say .

I like the tradition that talks about attraction not promotion and I find your approach to the posts here very unattractive. If I were a new member I would run a mile from it.

As I said earlier Its working for me for a long time now regardless to what you have to say. That is my experience not words.
The preamble tells me to avoid controversy and that's what I try to do., so I will not be posting anymore on this thread.

I wish you all the best on your journey

does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

All quotes from BB first edition
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sheesh, we are sensitive.

What was the original topic here? Recovering vs. Recovered?

For me, it's recovered. It's an old argument that guys like BB speakers like to talk about. It's never ever been mentioned or discussed in any of my homegroup meetings.

So it's been a waste of energy arguing it. I recall a few in here that agree with the basic principles that I've learned, practiced and experienced.

Welcome aboard if you'd like. You don't have to like or agree with me or my charming personality. I'm actually a pretty laid-back friendly and humorous guy amongst my peers and a gentlemen around my elders.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Lets not forget people that when the first edition was written in 1939, no one had more than around three years sober. And, of that original 100, less than thirty stayed sober long enough to be, what we would now consider, old timers.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am recovered from alcoholism. I do not announce myself as that in meetings simply for the fact that it tends to be a wedge. It creates an us and them atmosphere. If you work the program out of the Big Book you learn that recovered does not mean cured. People do recover from cancer, that does not mean they cannot develop it again down the road. The tenth step promise comes to mind here:
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone-- even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude tow ard liquor has b een given us w ithout any thought or effort on our p art. It jus t comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a pos ition of neutrality--safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither coc ky nor are w e afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

BB pages 84-85

When I work with a new man I tell them why we are recovered. I also tell them the responsibility we have:

Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others, so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful. You should not hesitate to visit the most sordid spot on earth on such an errand. Keep on the firing line of life with these motives and God will keep you unharmed.
BB page 102.

Being of maximum service means keeping the door open so the still sick and suffering can hear the message. Many times the still sick and suffering are sitting in AA meetings with years of sober time. The way we deliver the message to them can mean the difference between them hearing the truth or them staying sick. We are responsible. I have never seen anyone in AA listen to a bleading deacon or someone who claims to have "THE" answer.

You will be most successful with alcoholics if you do not exhibit any passion for crusade or
reform. Never talk dow n to an alcoho lic from any moral or spiritual hilltop
BB page 95.

This works when the alcoholic is still drinking or has years in AA
Old 04-17-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....
The word recovered is used 87
times in our Big Book basic test.
I've never seen a word count on recovering

At meetings...I simply say ...
I'm Carol...an alcoholic
Around my 10th year of AA recovery.....I noticed that I was
thinking of myself as recovered. There was no specific
reason to do this....it was more a slow evolution in perception.

Next week I will celebrate 20 years of AA recovery.
I expect I will say ...
I'm Carol...an alcoholic

Forward we go....side by side ...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

My ego will use anything it can to seperate me and make me better in my own mind than my peers. It will take what saves my life and turn it into the noose that is around my neck.

I used to introduce myself as a "real alcoholic." Then I realized what I was doing. I was using a word to seperate myself, kind of like saying I'm an alcoholic-addict, or saying that I'm recovered or recovering for that matter. I am recovered, but like I said, doesn't make me different or special or that I have risen above the masses to an exalted status. I am an alcoholic and I am a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, that's all. No big deal.
Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm still going with Recovered. I used to drink all I wanted and more. There was a time when I was recovering that I couldn't drink regardless of whether I wanted to or not. Today as a "Recovered" alcoholic I can once again drink much as I want.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm in remission. How's that?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

aunt dee uses the DD (Dee Does) method.

aunt tillie uses the AT method.

Recoveredry...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

^

D
Old 04-18-2009, 03:47 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

what, not a perfect score?

ohoh, progress not perfection! lol
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
Sanity, and a hopeless state of mind and body are symptoms of alcoholism but not necessilarily the disease itself. When these things are relieved the disease is put into a remission but just as a cancer it is still there waiting to come back full force.
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'm in remission. How's that?
Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
Recoveredry...
My point here is that the disease when defined as a "disfunction" of brain chemistry and/or physiology and/or genetics means that it never goes away. I know there are some gaps in the science but there is a strong indication that it is genetically linked. (For some it may be an acquired behavior.) The genetic part is the part that scares me, and in that sense, I can never be recovered. However, this line of thinking beckons to the concept of alcoholism as a symptom or as a cause. I don't intend to intiate that discussion thus hijacking the OP's thread. In terms of the psycho-emotional effects that may arise from what nandm references, it is possible for some of us to be undergoing constant recovery.

But having said that, there are some who believe that once they have worked these psycho-emotional things out then they are recovered. I use the term psycho-emotional as an umbrella term for the things we each experience, as individuals in life, regardless of there origin. I think that for these people, saying they are recovered, gives them a sense of accomplishment and finality. Only they really know what it means to them. Who am I to say that they are not recovered if they think and feel recovered?

So, for me, there are at least two ways of understanding this issue. But I think that the idea of quality and whose "post-addiction" life is better or not better isn't something that can be rationally discussed, especially in terms and meanings. Some have referred to symantics in this thread and how it really doesn't matter if it's recovery or recovered. I think what they mean is that if someone is actively living a positive non-addictive lifestyle and they are growing in self awareness then they are relatively healthy and free from actively addictive behavior, and that that is good, however one defines "goodness".

All I've said can be summed up with the phrase: "To each their own." I myself try to be respective of that by not foisting my "stuff" onto others.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I can say I'm recovered from the majority of symptoms from alcoholism. If being free of the major symptoms of alcoholism means I'm recovered, then I'm recovered. No blackouts, gulping drinks, increased tolerance, compulsion to drink, hiding booze and the list goes on. I do maintain a treatment regimen (I guess I can call that a recovery maintenance program) that keeps me symptom free. I haven't been cured from alcoholism but recovered...yea within the context of a medical definition of recovered in relation to a disease as alcoholism...recovered works for me.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

This is the Foreword as it appeared in the first
printing of the first edition in 1939.
WE, OF Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body

The allergy to alcohol never goes away that part will never be recovered from
The alcoholism
ism as we are taught in medical school is the I, self and me
This part we recover from if we want it bad enough to do what is necessary as the first 100 people did how by living the steps helping others getting out of self this is where we get recovered

tthe allergy as dr silkworth points out is a common delimna we never seem to get away gtom if put alcohol in soner or later we are gonna get drunk
Ive done the reseach it really did take like 18 or 19 years to get 1 year sober
I tried the controlled drinking guess what as long as I drank I couldnt recover but I have a chance to be recovered today as long as I dont take a drink.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
IO Storm

The term "recovering" is fairly new.

I hold my head up and say I am recovered. It is true.

No obsession, no compulsion, no craving, blackouts..no cirrhosis, malnutrition,

bankruptcy, unending shame, estranged family, no friends...ad infinitum.

And my gratitude knows no bounds.

Why do I go to AA?

Living the Steps..and the fellowship of others..(I love what Laurie said..) is my

recovery maintenance program. And, as Carol shared..recovery is mentioned in the BB

87 times. I'm sticking with that. Call me a thumper if you want.. lol.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IO Storm View Post
...And, as Carol shared..recovery is mentioned in the BB

87 times. I'm sticking with that. Call me a thumper if you want.. lol.
Yeah. A word I can get with. Recovered.

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hmm....
The word recovered is used 87
times in our Big Book basic test.
I've never seen a word count on recovering
:
But enough of these pious platitudes! Happy Monday mornin' to ya!

We are not part of a nice, neat creation...
...we are part of a mutinous world where rebellion against God is the order of the day. - Samuel Shoemaker
Old 04-20-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Woah..I stand corrected. Sorry Carol!

Recovered. 87 times. That's the fact.

Thanks..M, for pointing out my error.

Blessings, everyone!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Personally i consider myself RECOVERED from the Desire and Use of ANY Drug including Alcohol and haven't smoke in over 30+ years, BUT i am not recovered in doing life on lifes own terms it is a daily challenge and a life sentence. The main thing is NOT to Panic.
May 4th,09 celebrated 18 years C&S. I asking for a front for the other two years so that i can celebrate the BIG 20, Hummmmm , hahahaha
Ps: Keep in mind whats good for one JUST may NOT be for another.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I don't like to use either word to describe myself, because I hesitate to define my whole person in an all encompassing 'state of being'. There are so many which I could use. To pick one, such as being 'in recovery' or 'recovered' just doesn't seem to fit. Too much of a pidgeon hole for me to be comfortable with describing myself either way. I'm either doing the behavior or not - in my life it doesn't get to stretch into a yolk that covers every aspect of my life. If I quit smoking, I wouldn't want to refer to myself as being in recovery from nicotine addiciton. I used to smoke and I quit. Simple.