what is a recovery lifestyle?

Old 07-23-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is a recovery lifestyle?

i mean, i understand it would have a sobriety part to it, but how would you describe the rest of it?

guess i'm confused on that one.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
IO Storm

For me...

Sobriety is first and foremost..physical sobriety.

But, I also try to practice the principles of 12 Step Programs..mainly

AA...then evderything else seems to fall into place..

Not that I have no problems..I have quite a lot, frankly.

But the way I see and eact to them are changing..little by little

each day.

Love,

:

IO
Old 07-25-2007, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Fantastic!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've asked myself that very question many times and even used it as an excuse to drink. For me, I haven't ever really had any social recreation without drinking. Hopefully I'll figure that out once I go through my treatment program.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

decided some exercise would be part of mine. Lot of variety i'm trying to do. Doing stretching, pushups and stomach curls every night if i can, and then depending on the day of the week, weight training once a week, walking once a week and bike riding once a week. Also got two other books i'm trying to learn from, tai chi for dummies and pilates for men. Going to try to do those once a week also.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I pulled off your wings ...

Im new to recovery .... very new but a recovery lifestyle is one that requires heavy amounts of soul searching and learning about yourself and how wonderful you are and to cherish your good qualities and learn to focus on the positive side of life and know its worth living with eyes open
Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i think im still trying too work it out, i would probably be dead today if i hadnt stopped, i did it all on my own and im very proud of myself for beating something i had admitted defeat to many times in the past.
in the last 18 months my emotions have gone wild, i think i surpressed them all with alcohol for so many years, they sort of ran wild in my early days of sobriety. i could be as happy as a trouble free child one minute, and be crying the next, it was like a rollercoaster, during this time i was very aware of how dangerous these emotions were, because i never knew what mood i would be in in the next 2 minutes!
these early days were very much a honeymoon period too, it was amazing to be free of the bottle, creeping around, hiding bottles, dissappearing on toilet breaks at work etc, and i think i told pretty much everyone i knew that i was a recovering alcohoic.
i would find the simplest of things fascinating, like a walk in the park in spring or the colours in autumn.
like most honeymoon periods i feel mine is beginning to fade, i find myself getting frustrated with myself, for example i have 2 weeks off next week and once again i will probably not go away in case i fall of the wagon, i have sort of become a prisoner in my own house because it is simpy where i feel the safest. i would love a change of scenery, i probably want too much to quickly (story of my life!)
so back to the op, i dont know what recovery is, for me it's getting to know myself for what i really am, getting used to living with previously surpressed emotions which normal people are very much used to. sometimes i feel guilty about not getting out more, i pretty much went from party animal to hermit overnight, and miss talking to people about everyday things.
i dont know much about religion, but in the last 18months i feel very spitual (whatever that means) and for anyone who was in my position 2 years ago i would say do, do it for your own sake there's a whole world out there, for over 20 years i was locked in a bottle, but those days are gone and today and tomorrow are a brave slightly scarey but bright new world.
thats recovery to me today.
adam
Old 08-04-2007, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After having put an end to habitual drunkism, I made changes; changes in my emotions; changes in my thoughts; changes in my actons.

As a result, the wish for intoxication is rare. When that occurs, I say 'No', and find another approach. Life is contingent, and the wish for temporary relief does occur. I deal with it.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me a "recovery lifestyle" means attending Twelve Steps meetings.

It is taking better care of my overall health with regular visits to the doctor and dentist.Eating right.

It is devoting a moment of my life everyday towards spiritual upliftment.

It is avoidance of places and things and paraphenalia assiciated with a using lifestyle.

It is making sure my finances are in order and making provisions for the future.

It is devoting at least 2 hours everyday to my family.

It is taking care of my business.

These are just some of the things I need to do to maintain my sobriety. There are more. I may not follow it exactly or to perfection everytime but I find it keeps me focused on what is important.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would think that recovery is a process. A process by which life is reordered into something that is more effective. A process by which one may begin to live well.

It is, also, completely individual; it is self directed. The person in question: defines the problem; defines the solution and carries out the solution.
Recovery lifestyle? I am at a loss for a definition.