Lesson from Our Pain

Old 07-22-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lesson from Our Pain

You are reading from the book Touchstones

Suffering is a journey, which has an end.
--Matthew Fox

Pain is part of life. To live a masculine spiritual life, we need a way to understand the suffering we sometimes endure. Looking back at other difficult times can give us a better perspective of the pain we feel today. All of us can recall a loss or a sudden difficult change that we never would have chosen for ourselves. Perhaps it brought us face to face with insecurities or doubts about our survival. Now, after the suffering has ended, we see how much we grew. We changed; we were strengthened and, perhaps, were liberated by what happened to us.

Thoughts about today's suffering may not be clear as to what good it holds for us. But we are on a journey, and it can only happen one step at a time. We know that journeys teach us great lessons and they do have endings. Our pain today affirms that we are vital and alive people. We know others suffer as we do, and we can turn to each other to give and receive comfort while we are on the journey.

My pain will teach me something I need to know, and it will have an end. I will pay attention to its lessons.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©1986, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Pain and obstacles in my life have served me well, although the lessons were hard sometimes.

Just like a pain in my body tells me that something is wrong and needs attention, emotional and spiritual pain tells me that I need to make changes in my life to get through them and move forward. Hindsight has shown me that I can, if I take my focus off the problem and look for the solution.

Life is ever changing, nothing lasts forever, not even the pain. All I need is a willingness to work through the pain and have a little patience.

Hugs