What Are The Spiritual Principles

Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The basic principle of recovery is a bit like a coin that's been passed around so much the writing has worn off nearly completely. Nobody looks at it very closely anymore. That's the problem with slogans.

"Life on life's terms."

That's it. That's really the whole program as far as I'm concerned. But to do anything with that, you have to come to some understanding of what terms life actually offers us, and whether you can live with them.

As an alcoholic, life is not offering me the option to drink moderately. As a human, life will not grant me any reliable picture of the future, nor any permanence, nor any control over much but my own thoughts and actions. I will learn only by testing my limits and my ideas, and some failure will be certain and at times painful. I will not be able to change the things that I'm having feelings about by changing the feelings--not with chemicals, or sex, or any other indulgences. I will be separated from the things and people I love by distance and by death. And I will be forced to spend precious minutes in the company of fools, and one of them will sometimes be me.

But I will be able to appreciate, and even create some beauty. I will be allowed to choose to love, and to forgive. I will be awed by you and what you can show me that I couldn't see through my own eyes. I will have my triumphs, and I will revel in them. I will have my losses and you will console me. And I will laugh in appreciation of our stumbling humanity, our courage, our impossible hope in the face of everything that's stacked against us.

All in all, it's a pretty good offer. I sign that deal every day I stay sober and embrace my life. On life's terms.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firehazard View Post
Hi great question,
I found the answer reading about steps six and seven which is why it is so hard to find in the literature. The book is titled "Drop the Rock" The principles are the exact opposite assets that our character defects are. This really reasonated with me but also looking back at my sober path it seems that at the doorway for all of us was HONESTY. Then after sitting in many meetings PATIENCE and TOLERANCE had to make a appearance to continue.
That is a great book...It's a Hazledon book...I know by directions...You proceed with steps 6 and 7 right after step 5...I have a longtimer friend that gave me that book and gives it to all his sponsees before they take six and seven...Well done....Nails charactor defects.....I didn't see it mentioned here...But the 12 steps are principles too..Maybe I just missed it...
Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

36 Spiritual Principles

Step Tradition Concept
1 Honesty Unity Responsibility
2 Hope Direction Delegation
3 Faith Self Identity Trust
4 Courage Autonomy Participation
5 Truth Purpose Open Mindedness
6 Willingness Simplicity Accountability
7 Humility Self Supporting Balance
8 Reflection Equality Perspective
9 Amendment Flexibility Vision
10 Perseverance Purity Clarity
11 Awareness Transparency Coordination
12 Service Anonymity Effectiveness
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome artjunior

D
Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Keeping it simple..

Keeping it simple,the three spiritual principles are compassion, patience and tolerance.

Remembering the Dalai Lamas advice that if your compassion doesn't include yourself. It is incomplete.

Personally speaking I always try to the best of my ability, to apply the Stoic Virtues, of being wise, temperate, courageous and just both with my environment and myself.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Redmayne

On the subject of spiritual principles...

On the subject of spiritual principles, this always make me smile,

'Religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell,

Spirituality is for those who've already been there.'

Vine Deloria - Sioux
Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The way I read it, and experienced it, step one is about more than honesty. My last bender, part of it, was spent talking to a friend about being an alcholic and having to stop. I was honest but still drunk.

Step one, in the context of a spirtual program of action which AA is, has to include defeat and surrender. That position is a key building block in spiritual experience, perhaps summed up in the modern expression "I can't, He can, I think I'll let Him."

All the information and research I have seen on spritual experience is that it comes from a position of defeat and surrender.

Page 11: " His human will had failed. Doctors had pronounced him incurable. Society was about to lock him up. Like myself, he had admitted complete defeat. Then he had, in effect, been raised from the dead, suddenly taken from the scrap heap to a level of life better than the best he had ever known!"