Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Does anyone blame the legal system for their alcoholism?

Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't get me wrong, I want to take full responsibility for my alcoholism and for the stupid things I've done under the influence. However, I was charged with a criminal offence a few years back and even though I was found not guilty the legal system made me a nervous wreck!! Once I was charged I had 8 months to wait until I could defend myself against the charges and in the meantime I used alcohol to try and relieve my anxieties. By the time I actually got the chance to defend myself and the charges were dismissed, I was a full blown alcoholic. I felt like there was no one I could turn to during that time. I didn't want to talk to my family & friends because I didn't want to put them through additional stress & worry. I wish there would have been something in place for me during that time. It just wasn't fair.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Merc,

I felt exactly like you do. I thought the whole world was unfair to me. If they would just do what I wanted them to do life would be okay. Fact is, we can't go back and change the past. We can only do what we can do today. Whether they were right or wrong doesn't matter today. Think about what you can to stay sober the rest of today.

"I spent years with one foot in the past, one foot in the future, while pissing all over today"
Old 02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

I don't blame my alcoholism on the legal system. But I do blame them for my recovery and gainful employment.

For those that don't know my unique case. I am a in red bold letters "SERIOUS OFFENDER" its on my credit report, background history all thanks to CT. DMV misinformation.

I think this says it all.>>>
We know from long experience that if [former prisoners] can’t find work, or a home, or help, they are much more likely to commit more crimes and return to prison. America is the land of the second chance.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Originally Posted by Unemployable? View Post
I don't blame my alcoholism on the legal system. But I do blame them for my recovery and gainful employment.

For those that don't know my unique case. I am a in red bold letters "SERIOUS OFFENDER" its on my credit report, background history all thanks to CT. DMV misinformation.

I think this says it all.>>>
We know from long experience that if [former prisoners] can’t find work, or a home, or help, they are much more likely to commit more crimes and return to prison. America is the land of the second chance.

We used to say...(when I worked in the sub abuse field) this is when you know your getting better!