Complete newbie in need of advice

Old 01-29-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Complete newbie in need of advice

Hi everyone. I am a 43 year old female, and an alcoholic. I am into my third month sober and I am now experiencing these "cravings" for a drink that are driving me crazy. I am fighting myself all day for three days. Will this stop??
My 23 year old daughter was just placed into a detox center for heroin detox and per DOC, a min. of 90 days. You would think I would be so relieved to know she is not/can't use right now. Now I am wanting a drink more. Strange huh?
I pretty much drank for the last 20 years. I managed to hold down a good job, raise family, etc. But it all caught up with me in my 40's. I simply cannot do it anymore. I did detox in a hospital. I ceased the opportunity when I was admitted for a staph infection. Since I was given heavy pain meds during the hospital stay for the infection pain, I said nothing, and got through my withdrawls. I was having no craving until recently, after being into my third month sober. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, meteoroid! (cool name, btw )

You're into your third month of sobriety? Way to go! That's AWESOME!

When I first got clean and sober I realized that I needed to do much more than just put down the drink and drugs. I needed to make some major changes within. Working an honest program of recovery was how I stopped and STAYED stopped. AA and NA works for me and for thousands upon thousands of other people. Not only do I learn how to live life differently, but I have friends and people who understand and support me. It's pretty cool.

How about you? What are you doing to get through life without drinking?

Glad you're here. Keep reading, reaching out and posting, k? You're among friends.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Question Thank you. But so many feelings....

Yes, into my third month sober. I have been to only a few AA meetings. I agree with AA, but where I am living now is a very small, rural area with one meeting place. Less than a handful of people too. Then eveyone in the area knows what's going on with you. I will try the on-line meetings.

I am having the most trouble in dealing with day to day stuff. I feel like yesterday's trash. I am lacking self-confidence, you know,all the things we need to survive. I held my last job for 14 years. Especially this craving, almost OCD like symptom to drink. But I remind myself second by second, and minute by minute how quickly I will/can become ill again if I took just a sip. I am having a hard time being nice to people. Sorry to go on and on. Any advice would help. Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say welcome, and congrats on the 3 months. Finding some way to get it done is all that matters.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by meteoroid View Post
I am having a hard time being nice to people. Sorry to go on and on. Any advice would help.
Hang in there, minute by minute as you said in your post. This too WILL pass, but it does take time. The more I reach out to people in recovery - emptying my head, I call it - the more relief I feel. Talk to people here and f2f. Journal. Exercise. Scream, yell and jump up and down.

You are DOING it, meteoroid. It's not fast and it's not easy, but it WILL get better.

Keep posting, k? You are among friends. We understand because we've been there.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good work on almost 3 months. I have heard that the 3 month mark can be a difficult period...a little darkness before you reach an even brighter light on the other side. I am only at 53 days myself and have found the journey thus far an awesome experience. It's like I am feeling my very being transform. I attend a lot of meetings, post here on SR and do a lot of reading thru library book or online regarding recovery, spirituality, personal growth and whatever emotion I am currently dealing with. I just "google" whatever I'm currently gnawing on (e.g. anger, fear, faith, courage, etc) and read what catches my eye. I find it helpful.

Love, luck and bright blessings