Self-Pity

Old 12-03-2006, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Self-Pity

You are reading from the book Touchstones.

Sometimes I go about pitying myself, and all the time I am being carried, on great winds across the sky.
--Ojibway

"Ah, poor me," we sometimes say, "I have to work so hard!" "I have so much stress!" "If only my problem with money would get better, then I could be content!" "I just don't understand women!" "Why can't my family have fewer troubles?" This attitude of self-pity is as ancient as humanity. The Ojibway recognized blindness to the spiritual path. Every man has problems and challenges, and life often is not fair. Self-pity becomes a stumbling block when we get so narrowly focused upon our problems. We forget we are a part of a whole throng of fellow pilgrims on this path. It helps to notice others beside ourselves who are seeking courage to live their lives.

Sometimes we reawaken our awareness of our Higher Power by seeing that we are "carried on great winds across the sky." We have many blessings; we are not alone. Often within problems we discover our greatest blessings.

God, help me find the spiritual path in the choices I make today. Help me turn away from self-pity.

©1986, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation
Old 12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks, ann