Giving Up

Old 11-26-2006, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Giving Up

You are reading from the book Today's Gift.
Giving up is not giving in, nor is it failing. It is no longer needing to be right.
--Anonymous

When someone tells us a riddle, we may give up if we don't know the answer. We give up because we are tired of trying to get it, or because we are eager to find out what it is.

Giving up in other situations, may be more difficult. We may need to give up eating something that isn't healthy for us. We may need to give up trying to win an argument. We may need to give up old clothes that we love which no longer fit us. When we don't want to give up, it may be because we have forgotten the knowledge, health, or peace of mind we gain by doing so.

In each case, giving up means growth and going on with our lives. Giving up may mean many different things in different situations, but it does not mean doing nothing. It means doing what seems right for us and giving up the expectation that what happens will be exactly what we want.

What can I gain by giving up something that is harmful today?

©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cyndy

Hi everybody, I've been a member of this site for awhile but never posted anything. I enjoy reading all the posts everyone writes, and it does help me. I've been on methadone since '98 now, and am weaning myself down & hopefully off permanently. It's the "ball and chain" as I call it. I'm now at 7 mgs. and will drop a couple more mgs. in a few days. I know it'll be no energy when there's no methadone, but so be it. I'll survive. I have had Hep C for about 17 yrs. now, and the doc says that being inactive is the best time to start the infereron treatment. I don't wanna die and hope that the treatment isn't too awfully bad...for 11 months. Has anyone had any experience with the Hep C treatment on here, and how did it go for you?