Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Topic: Depression - Where Does It Come From? Who Does It Hurt? Where Does It Hurt?

Topic: Depression - Where Does It Come From? Who Does It Hurt? Where Does It Hurt?

Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Topic: Depression - Where Does It Come From? Who Does It Hurt? Where Does It Hurt?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like you here in Sr I havent found it
necessary to take a drink of alcohol
since 8-11-90. For that and you im
truely grateful.

DEPRESSION ..I don't understand it...
....Where does depression come from?
Where does depression hurt? Every-
where's ...Who does depression hurt?
Everyone

After yrs of working my program in AA..
14 yrs ...i realized that i still wasnt happy,
and content...I was restless, irritable, and
discontent. YUK..!

So upon watching a commercial on tv
at the time about depression and zoloft...
I seek the help and knowledge of what I
learned about a chemical embalance within
my body.....and with help from the right
physicians and the knowledge and
understanding It took about a yr to find
the right medicine to agree with my bodies
chemistry....

Today im more able to focus on my program
and to live comfortably within my own
skin and around others.....

So I still dont understand is why with so
many members and people suffering from
anxiety and depression they dont seek
the help necessary to make them feel
better?

Is it because its too expensive? They are
afraid to recieve the help? What is it?

I was told in early recovery to work on my
sobriety first..my AA then to seek help for
other things later is its still bothersome...

My stubborness kept me unhappy for a
long time. I refused to give in and be one
of many using meds to make me feel better.

There's a difference in just wanting to
take meds just to feel good and there
are reasons that will help u adjust that
chemical embalance with in ur system....

What ever reason why our insides r screwed
up...either gentically, or from the abusive
ussage of drugs and alcohol....we still
deserve to be happy in recovery...
Dont u think?

All those fiighting depression and anxiety
feel free to share ur feelings with us...
maybe the many newcomers just coming
into SR who r looking for answers can
read ur own ESH and find the help they
may need to move on in recovery.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

so often depression is not cured by anything other than medication. medication is the only thing that can help a chemical imbalance, and beleive me many people have this and most don't know!!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you hit the nail on the head, it stubborness. some refuse to believe that there is a problem. that is apparent in ones refusal to seek treatment in many cases for their addiction at 1st. noone wants to believe that somethings wrong with them, that they are not normal. society puts a stigma on those that they think are defective, or so it is percieved, but the truth is that it takes real courage to aknowledge our defects and to take the steps necessary to make the changes in ourselves that will benefit not only ourselves but those around us in a positive way. every one deserves to be happy, no one should suffer because of fear. the fear of what others may think of us. we are here to grow and to learn and share and to care for each other. if we were perfect we wouldnt need each other.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Fear, stigma, desire for perceived "normalcy" -- all those are right for reasons that people don't get help for depression/anxiety.

There's another biggie though that hasn't been addressed.
The lack of medical coverage.

Fact is, many of the working poor cannot afford to go to regular doctors appointments that are required for med checks. And to afford the medication is WAY out of line for their abilities.

Until the health care system is addressed in a meaningful way, in this country, those with medical conditions, including depression and anxiety, will continue to go without life saving medications.

What a sorry state of affairs...

Shalom!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

For me, it's

1) the money
2) I'm doing okay right now, want my body to be able to heal as much as possible without anything as long as I can hold this space.
**before anyone worries **
If things get wild and hairy - you becha - I'll be at the clinic with my hand out. And wallet out, too.
3) I'm so new into sobriety right now, I can be sure that I can't be sure about anything except within the first year, we pretty much have symptomology of all known and some unknown 'psy' diseases and disorders.

When the time comes, I'm with you Sharon - get me whatever it takes for me to be able to do whatever I'm supposed to do for the HP.
There are some who are a bit more ... uh ... strict (?) about such things.
Thanks for the topic
Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to believe my depression and anxiety are caused by my life history combined with a poor diet and nutritional deficiencies creating a chemical imbalance. They have proven children with trauma have differences in their physical brain structure and store memories differently. We alter nearly all the food we eat from its original healthy forms, like bleaching flour to make it white. I eat a lot of processed and fast foods. I think alcohol damaged my body in ways that affect my ability to digest and metabolize food. Many things in the food we eat are processed through the liver and I am sure I damaged mine. I probably killed off all the healthy bacteria and enzymes in my digestive tract. I know since I started supplements I feel so much better. I am responding better to omega 3 and amino acid supplements than I ever did to Zoloft or any other drugs I tried for my depression, but I was also in an alcoholic rut when I took them. I had all the classic side effects so I think they were working as well as they were going to. When I forget to take my supplements and eat well I feel like crap. I'm also hypoglycemic so it is a big factor expecially with my anger and anxiety. I've been told repeatedly to start a lower carb diet and once I have my feet planted in recovery I'm working on that next.

I am not sure meds are the only awnser anymore even if you have a chemical imbalance. Listen to the term "Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor." If you do not have enough serotonin to begin with you are still screwed. If you aren't eating enough foods with Tryptophan or supplementing it you are still going to be depressed and that is IF serotonin is the chemical to blame. Dopamine and norephinephrine are also chemicals that make a huge impact, and SSRI's have a limited impact on them. I love amino acids because if they aren't needed by your brain they are metabolized to help your body. Tryptophan used to be available by prescription only. It turns into niacin in the body if it isn't needed in it's original form. And other brain chemicals have aminos necessary to produce them and I take them too.

My drinking really took off with my PPD and even when I was sober I hurt myself, I devastated my husband, I was codependant with friends and loved ones, I wasn't the mother I could be and that was actually the thing I was managing to do best. I tried 6 different medications and I have been in therapy for over four years. I am still picking up the pieces of addiction and depression. I still have a messy house, kids who are poorly disciplined due to my permissive parenting caused by guilt and shame. I am still working on avoiding substitute compulsions and addictions. I am trying to stop hoarding things like food and books and clothes. But I am better now than I have been within the last seven years and I am owing it all to sobriety and my support system and my supplements.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Unused -

Agree.
I just got all the info and started the hypoglycemic diet - not TOO strict, but the changeover. In only three days - I already feel a difference.

I was on it seventeen years ago, and am glad there's so many recipes and new stuff I could find online.

I agree about the bad stomach, too. I started yogurt, and in two weeks, it's a massive change. And -
when my stomach is steady, I'm having less anxiety.
Thanks!