Want to Learn How To Sing or Take Lessons as a Hobby - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Want to Learn How To Sing or Take Lessons as a Hobby

Hi everyone!

I've always wanted to learn to sing. Not to join a band or anything, but just for fun, for expression, and to allow myself to have a voice so to speak. I am not musically inclined but have been a major music lover my entire life. Now that I am sober, I want to delve into music moreso as a hobby.

I want to learn more about the different types of singing, how to learn how to use my voice, etc. I love all kinds of music--from classical choir type of music, to bad ass classic rock type music and just about everything in between.

Can anyone give me good websites, books, forums, youtube videos, or other resources?

Does anyone here take singing/voice lessons for fun? Is it expensive? What's the difference between professional lessons and lessons as a hobby or as a beginner?

I think this will give me more confidence. I know there's a strong sober chick trying to come out. She was stifled when she was alcoholic. Anyone relate?

Thank you in advance!
Pathwaytofree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pathwaytofree For This Useful Post:
Ann (04-25-2018), least (04-23-2018), Opivotal (05-25-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

I don't have any info to share, but want to tell you I think voice lessons would be fun.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley
least is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Ann (04-25-2018), Opivotal (05-25-2018), Pathwaytofree (04-23-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you, least! :-)
Ann (04-25-2018), least (04-24-2018), Opivotal (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

YES!! I can relate totally. I've always wanted to sing too as well and I'm not necessarily musically inclined though I love music - all kinds of music.

I live near a university that has a substantial music department and after my exams I'm signing up for singing / voice lessons. A lot of music majors give singing lessons to make some extra money. It's perfect for me because I will never be Whitney Houston (LOL) and I think I could learn so much.

My next door neighbor's son has a band and I want to be able to sing along when they play on the porch etc.. It sounds corny, I know but I want to do that.

Singing makes me feel good. But I'm not good at it...yet. I sing to myself (loudly) when I know no one can hear me. But after lessons, who knows?

Best of luck to you!
StellaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StellaBlu For This Useful Post:
least (05-25-2018), Opivotal (05-25-2018), Pathwaytofree (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlu View Post
YES!! I can relate totally. I've always wanted to sing too as well and I'm not necessarily musically inclined though I love music - all kinds of music.
I'm so glad to hear from another person who gets it. :-)

Quote:
I live near a university that has a substantial music department and after my exams I'm signing up for singing / voice lessons. A lot of music majors give singing lessons to make some extra money. It's perfect for me because I will never be Whitney Houston (LOL) and I think I could learn so much.
This is a great idea! I never thought to check with a local college. :-) Yes me too, I'm not looking to be on American's Got Talent, I'm just looking for it as a hobby.

Quote:
My next door neighbor's son has a band and I want to be able to sing along when they play on the porch etc.. It sounds corny, I know but I want to do that.
That's not corny at all! There's a group of people in recovery I heard of near me who do that. I think it'd be fun!

Quote:
Singing makes me feel good. But I'm not good at it...yet. I sing to myself (loudly) when I know no one can hear me. But after lessons, who knows?
That's been my experience, too. Keep me posted!!

Quote:
Best of luck to you!
Thanks! You too!
least (05-25-2018), Opivotal (05-25-2018), StellaBlu (06-02-2018)