New recovery support group idea,feedback? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

New recovery support group idea,feedback?

I'm from the SF Bay Area and am a recovering addict and earlier today I was thinking about how temptations associated with old hobbies or past-times cause people in recovery to stop doing things they loved to do even before their addictions. For myself that hobby is skateboarding which has been something I've done for 10 years starting at about 13 years old. Almost 24 now and knowing that because of my disease, I can't do something that can be considered to be my first way to cope with my feelings like aggression, depression, inadequacy by having an outlet that wasn't harmful to anyone and was happy doing it every single day. No substance I've tried has given me the same result but as I got older I combined my addictions with skateboarding so now without some kind of support, temptation would overpower me so I stopped almost completely. Today I came up with a possible way to create a support community for skateboarders that could also display to younger generations that they can get support even from the most tempting places:

Skating To Sobriety

Main reason I don't go to skateparks anymore is because the temptation to drink/smoke/etc. is too high since that's like all a lot of people do there,I know I used too.

Creating a way for skateboarders in recovery to connect and act as support to each other's sobriety around temptation like when at a skatepark.

There's nothing really like that(atleast that I could find) in the Bay area either. And not being able to do something as big as skating is/was in my life because of temptation from a "disease" that people unfortunately judge addicts for having, is pretty depressing.

Feedback welcomed!!!!!!!
Acsullivan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acsullivan993 For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (02-10-2017), PhoenixJ (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it's a great idea unfortunately I'm in Australia, otherwise I would join in.
I hope you find lots of SF Bay Area peeps to hit the skate park with you
Poppy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Start the same thing in Australia!!! Skateboarding is worldwide just like addiction.
Acsullivan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acsullivan993 For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (02-11-2017)