Sober skiers? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sober skiers?

Hello, all -

I'm newly sober (a little over a year now) and interested in connecting with fellow avid skiers in recovery. I made it through last ski season sober, which I was concerned about, since it's such a party scene at my regular mountain (Sugarloaf, Maine). But I didn't find a new group of sober skiing friends. I went to a few meetings near the mountain, but they weren't well attended, and not by fellow ski bums. Thankfully, I am happy just being out there and I enjoy my solitude, so skiing solo is not a problem. And my daughter is 9 and ripping it up all around the mountain at this point, so hey - I've raised my own ski buddy! But I do miss the camaraderie sometimes. I'm still friendly w/ my drunk buddies, I just don't spend as much time w/ them now b/c I get bored.

Winter is coming - hooray! Anyone else out there love to ski? Any tips for the upcoming season? Snowfall predictions?!
Hday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hday For This Useful Post:
SoberCAH (11-13-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
WQD member since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hday View Post
Hello, all -

I'm newly sober (a little over a year now) and interested in connecting with fellow avid skiers in recovery. I made it through last ski season sober, which I was concerned about, since it's such a party scene at my regular mountain (Sugarloaf, Maine). But I didn't find a new group of sober skiing friends. I went to a few meetings near the mountain, but they weren't well attended, and not by fellow ski bums. Thankfully, I am happy just being out there and I enjoy my solitude, so skiing solo is not a problem. And my daughter is 9 and ripping it up all around the mountain at this point, so hey - I've raised my own ski buddy! But I do miss the camaraderie sometimes. I'm still friendly w/ my drunk buddies, I just don't spend as much time w/ them now b/c I get bored.

Winter is coming - hooray! Anyone else out there love to ski? Any tips for the upcoming season? Snowfall predictions?!
I was an instructor for 15 years in an adult social ski club, mainly for singles - everyone gets on a bus in the city and then motors out to the hills for the day. After the day is done the club would hit the bar for the social aspect, skiers certainly know how to enjoy themselves by getting over refreshed, but i found that I didn't have to drink, people would quickly move on to other folks that were keeping up. The social club also had weekend trips to Killington, mt sainte anne, Jay Peak, Tremblant, and week long trips to Whistler, Colorado, Kicking Horse, jackson hole, etc... So i would say a skiing social club is the way to go.

Most of the hills have a kids ski lessons program on the weekends where you may be able to bump into other skiing adults . You could ski with others while the kids are taking lessons. Also if you sign up for instructor training you may find a whole new group of ski nuts and it's a great way to learn new skills and improve your own skiing.

Looks like snow is on the way soon for the eastern part so will be on the slopes soon !
Maudcat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to be a very active sober skier.

Except that my skiing was water-skiing.

Barefoot waterskiing specifically.

I used to go on a lot of ski trips, with most of them being to Forida.

Be safe out there, don't drink and have fun on the slopes.
SoberCAH is offline   Reply With Quote