musician and music composers group - Page 9 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #161 (permalink)
NA Member - Atheist

I'm in...

IvanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IvanMike For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (08-15-2016), Rusty Zipper (01-12-2017)
Old 06-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #162 (permalink)

image-20482696.jpg
GnikNus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GnikNus For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #163 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

So glad I found this! I am very new to SR but have been playing and writing music forever. Been in bands playing guitar all my teenage years, then became a singer in uni and that's when things really start d derailing for the first time.

Anyway, I did manage to quit drugs a few years ago and writing music was instrumental in doing it! Remember I bought my first recording gear and got writing, no 6 years later I am close to finalising my first full on album done all by myself! Only vocals, final mix and mastering to go!

Drinking got on the way of that constantly over the last few years, so last months have been slow, but I am planning on leaning on music again to help with this process.

Nice to see there are others here too!

P
MrPL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrPL For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (08-15-2016), Opivotal (08-15-2016), SoberCAH (09-07-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #164 (permalink)

Good luck on the album Mr PL

D
Old 08-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #165 (permalink)

Good luck indeed Mr PL. Making your own record from scratch would take far too much discipline for me!! I bet you feel great when you get it out!!

Congrats on getting rid of the booze and drugs and enjoy the rest of the album process without those obstacles in the way!!!
Dee74 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #166 (permalink)

Haha. Indeed amp123. Should have been ready a long time ago, still sleeping it off for now but my very fresh recovery plan has scheduled my first vocal recording session for tomorrow.

Nothing like a bit of metal to keep me sober!

P
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPL For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
My biggest fear is trying to get back into writing again. The second biggest fear is wondering if I'll never have as much enjoyment in performing sober as I used to. During my drinking days, writing sessions always included a bottle of wine. It opened things up for "the spirits" to rush in for inspiration. Not sure what writing will be like now. I've tried it a few times, but it feels flat. Will have to get used to that. I did have some inspiration during a writing burst earlier this month, but it was a different experience. As far as playing live, I did my first sober show in late May (six months sober). It went fine, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much with a Pepsi as I did drinking. I accepted that, so I'll have to let it be what it is. I used to feel greatly inspired and "on" with wine or beer while performing (and rarely overdid it, at least during the show). Again, I'll have to get more experience doing it sober to see if that can happen without alcohol. Waiting to see what happens when clarity takes the place of the buzz. I guess I'm still in the process of learning and figuring it out.
Wow, once again- good timing to find this thread. I've gotten back into music and have "walked into a new room" interns of learning to think about, write and perform music. Giving it time was the key. I am currently pricing different recording gear I plan to buy by the first of the year. The inspiration is there, but more importantly I feel like I'm "there"- at a place to do music sober. Before it like I was on a long train trip, and for awhile I just wasn't "there" yet. Just sitting on the train waiting. I am now.
I'm used to not drinking, and not used to relying on alcohol at this point- so sobriety has become normalized for me. I did a gig in July that opened up the floodgates of possibility. I had been prepared to leave music behind for good. Now I plan to return music to my life.
Performing is far better. I'm more present, I have more control and things are less unpredictable and "up in the air" due to drinking. I'm able to plan and map things out, look objectively at my act and approach in a way that was never possible during the drinking years.
Starting slowly. Bit by bit.
I'm glad I didn't have to amputate that part of my life. Where are you with things, amp?
Dee74 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #168 (permalink)

That's great GnikNus. I know what you mean about having to be in the right place to get back into it, especially because I had the impression music and alcohol often went well together.

When you get to recording I think you'll notice an even bigger difference. The few alcohol breaks I had over the last year were recording sessions at home, I tried doing it drunk but always had to redo takes.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about your recording setup, I got a nice setup at home which didn't cost an awful lot, so if you need some tips let me know.

P
Dee74 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #169 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
That's great GnikNus. I know what you mean about having to be in the right place to get back into it, especially because I had the impression music and alcohol often went well together. When you get to recording I think you'll notice an even bigger difference. The few alcohol breaks I had over the last year were recording sessions at home, I tried doing it drunk but always had to redo takes. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about your recording setup, I got a nice setup at home which didn't cost an awful lot, so if you need some tips let me know. P
Thanks. I've found a preamp set up called Scarlett. It looks user friendly for musicians who aren't engineers, but still has great sound. That and a laptop is all I'll need. Going to keep it simple and mobile.
I always drank in the studio. It never incapacitated me, but it was a constant. It's different now, but better. I've gone into one I have an unfinished project in and it's a different experience. Better in the long run, but different. What's your setup?
Dee74 (08-20-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #170 (permalink)

Hi GN,

I started of with a MacBook Pro, Logic express, a line6 interface (ux2) and a midi controller/keyboard (m-audio axiom 49).

That was about 6 years ago and I still use them all, but since then I got a couple more guitar interfaces, a zoom R16 (great for multitrack recording) and a digitech RP 255. I also upgraded to the full version of Logic and now use an app called DAW Remote to control my software from my phone.

Basically line6 are great for clean sounds, digitech amazing for heavy ones, and zoom are somewhere in the middle. The zoom interface is also nice because you can record it directly there and transfer to your computer at a later point (or even mix the whole thing there, but I prefer software). Zoom is great for acoustic stuff (guitar, mic and foot stomp).

The midi controller has some rubber pads which I use to record drums. I m on the process of moving to an actual electronic kit but still improving my drum playing at the moment.

I saw on another thread you also got a couple of little ones, same here, starting to introduce them to music but trying to contain myself so I don't put them off. The thought of having a family power trio in 15-20 years sounds amazing (family bands are usually really tight!).

Let me know how you get on, I am close to finishing my first major project, 8 songs album, will be ready sometime next month!

P
Dee74 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Hi GN, I started of with a MacBook Pro, Logic express, a line6 interface (ux2) and a midi controller/keyboard (m-audio axiom 49). That was about 6 years ago and I still use them all, but since then I got a couple more guitar interfaces, a zoom R16 (great for multitrack recording) and a digitech RP 255. I also upgraded to the full version of Logic and now use an app called DAW Remote to control my software from my phone. Basically line6 are great for clean sounds, digitech amazing for heavy ones, and zoom are somewhere in the middle. The zoom interface is also nice because you can record it directly there and transfer to your computer at a later point (or even mix the whole thing there, but I prefer software). Zoom is great for acoustic stuff (guitar, mic and foot stomp). The midi controller has some rubber pads which I use to record drums. I m on the process of moving to an actual electronic kit but still improving my drum playing at the moment. I saw on another thread you also got a couple of little ones, same here, starting to introduce them to music but trying to contain myself so I don't put them off. The thought of having a family power trio in 15-20 years sounds amazing (family bands are usually really tight!). Let me know how you get on, I am close to finishing my first major project, 8 songs album, will be ready sometime next month! P
Thanks for the info- I appreciate it. It's amazon how mobile and portable recording has gotten over the last 10 years. Racks and racks of gear and tons of patch cables are a thing of the past. I recorded an album with Logic years back ( though I was not the engineer). I'm thinking of Protools since the current project I'm doing ( and can't make progress on since working on it requires a long drive) is in Protools, so I thought if I got it and the engineer sent me the tracks I could work on them more frequently. We'll see. It's expensive, so I might just use the software that comes with the preamp and start a new project.
Using your phone in conjunction with the laptop. Is this common nowdays? I could see the advantage of being able to arm a track via phone instead I getting up and walking to the workstation to hit "record." Sounds convenient.

I'm also introducing music to my kids early. My daughter already shows she has good time ( very important). It would be great doing something with your family down the road.
Dee74 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #172 (permalink)

No worries at all, always happy to talk about music!

It is indeed amazing, beauty is that things got a lot cheaper too, so it's possible to setup a home studio without spending too much.

It really helps to be able to be away from the laptop, I feel more free to play and sing, people have been using all sorts of stuff for that, there s some portable controllers you can buy, but the app is a lot cheaper and does quite a lot.

You can easily get away with basic software, usually most interfaces come with cubase, which does the trick if you have an engineer with pro tools on the other end. It has basic mixing tools and some compressors, gates, etc, but pro tools and logic have much better stuff (that s why they cost more!).

Basically all you need is for the engineer to export the track as audio, send it to you, then you load it on your software, record your takes and send it back for him to mix. It's useful to have a Dropbox folder, google drive or something you can use for large files. Emails will cope with MP3 but sound is not great, so you want to be sending your takes in wav format.

It's a thin line trying to grow musicians! I am scared of pushing too much, I m told at some point they'll "hate us", hopefully mine will be rockers by then! Hehe.

P
Dee74 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #173 (permalink)
capra laeviculus

Hey P! I haven't looked at this thread in a long time... Looks like you revived it

So you're into metal too eh?

I definitely understand what you said about alcohol getting in the way of music. I may be at the extreme end of that -- alcohol stops my musical process dead. Metal and alcohol are mutually exclusive for me.

My band is doing well. We recorded a second music video (and I've gotten over my hangups about posting it here if anyone wants to see it).
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goat For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:16 AM   #174 (permalink)

Hey Goat!

Definitely, metal has been a major part of my life for 20 yrs now!

I am trying to see it the other way around this time (it's early days of sobriety for me), trying to make music get on the way of he drinking process! Seems to be working.

Would love to see the video, man maybe send a message with the link if you don't want to post here? I'll have to think of a way of showing SR the album when it's done, some vocals and backing vocals to record, then the joys of mixing and mastering and it'll be done. Think for a first effort is sounding good enough.

What do you play?

P
Dee74 (08-25-2016)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #175 (permalink)
Just a nerd

I guess I'm the only weirdo who makes metal in Live 9. Once you find your perfect DAW, it's just so hard to switch.
DeathBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #176 (permalink)
capra laeviculus

Ha! I haven't tried Ableton for my metal purposes... I will have to give it a go. Always looking for new DAWs.

But.... I am definitely with you on the weirdo side -- I tend to use fruityloops for a lot of my initial writing. That and PowerTab.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote