SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   User-Created Social Groups (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/user-created-social-groups/)
-   -   Dog Owners part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/user-created-social-groups/223615-dog-owners-part-2-a.html)

Smile123 05-18-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by least (Post 2970275)
So grateful for my vets.:) Little Jack was so itchy and the vet said it was allergies and gave him cortisone, which seems to be helping a lot.:) Can't see my babies uncomfortable, now can I?:)

What a blessing a great Vet like that is!! I never understood why people interviewed pediatricians until I had dogs!

newwings 05-18-2011 05:32 PM

Here's my mutt, Taffy. As you can see, he's game for pretty much anything....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-7756741-n.jpg

underoath 06-18-2011 04:17 PM

how do I attach an image, sorry, the insert image thing kind of confuses me.... meanwhile you can check out my avatar :newbe:

least 06-19-2011 08:36 AM

Here are directions to posting a pic. Be sure to resize the image to "forum/message board" size in step two.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1731827

Murray4x5 06-19-2011 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had some camera issues for a few months, but I'm back in the saddle now :)

Here's Zain at the end of our hike today;

Murray4x5 07-16-2011 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Zain after a swim in the creek;

least 07-28-2011 09:52 AM

I am coming to the sad realization that my elderly beagirl is coming to the end of her useful happy life. She's forgotten that she's housetrained and just pees on the floor without letting me know her need to go out, which she used to do without fail.:( She has a hard time getting around and often falls down or just collapses on the floor. She can barely climb the stairs anymore and often falls down after getting up just a few steps.

She'll be fifteen next month and it will be thirteen years since we got her. She's had a long and happy healthy life and I haven't regretted a minute of it. It's hard to accept that her life is almost over and that soon, the best thing I can do for her will be to put her out of her misery.:(

"A dog's only fault is that they don't live long enough." Don't know who said that but I agree.

Impurrfect 07-28-2011 11:03 AM

((((Least)))) - I'm so sorry. She's been loved and cared for, and I'm glad she's got a mama who doesn't want her to suffer.

Big hugs and prayers,

Amy

DrunkenBasement 07-28-2011 01:47 PM

((((least)))) I'm really sorry to hear about your sweet pup. I know how hard it is to see that happen. She's lucky to have spent her life with you.

doggonecarl 07-28-2011 03:07 PM

Least, thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time. It is never easy to say goodbye to a loved companion.

The dog barks backward without getting up.
I can remember when he was a pup.

--Robert Frost

lauren 07-29-2011 02:53 AM

Least, I think that the real angels are our dogs, they give and ask for so
little. It is a difficult time, I know that my girl Holly tried to tell me so many
times that she was ready to let go and I just couldn't..she waited until we
were on holidays and wrapped her arms around my young neighbor and passed
peacefully..they can't make the decision themselves but they feel us more
deeply than any other family member..they protect us so completely..
I honor your decision and always know that your love and care made her
happy for these long doggy years..
She trusts you to help her on her next journey and will be waiting for you
whenever that may be.
lauren

least 07-30-2011 04:03 AM

Oh does it ever hurt.:( It's going to take a lot of time to adjust to her not being here after thirteen years of her constant presence. I feel like I've cut off my right arm and can't function without it.:(

least 08-02-2011 04:04 PM

Everything I do reminds me of beagirl in some way. I'm not used to not seeing her and it's so strange to not see her around the house.:( Got a nice card from my vet. They are so kind to me and my critters. It's apparent how huge a part of my life she was. I lived my life around her, like letting her out more often due to her age, and always watching for pee spots in one room since she was forgetting she was house trained more and more often. I kept a supply of rags to clean it up and never yelled at her since I knew she couldn't help it.

Now I don't have to check the floor before going into that room...:(

I'm remembering all the fun little things about her. Her little habits and tricks. Her favorite treat (baby carrots) and the little trick she used to do with her carrot.:) The way we often slept with my arm around her.

God I miss her.:( My life feels disturbed, like angry ocean waves crashing. I still reach to fill her food bowl at dinner time. It's going to take a while to get used to this...:(

doggonecarl 08-03-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by least (Post 3057075)
It's going to take a while to get used to this...

I'm sure it will.

People deal with the loss of their fur companions differently. Once I was at an adoption event and a gentleman was expressing a lot of interest in one of my foster dogs. He went on to explain that he had lost his dog and maybe it was too soon to replace her. I asked when did he lose his dog. He said, "Three years ago." Three years!

Another couple was looking at our fosters. They explained to me that they had lost their dog a month previously but the house was so empty feeling that they wanted to hear the clicking of dog nails on the floor. They could never replace their old dog, but they could fill the empty place in their hearts and in their home.

Right now you are filling the hole in your heart with memories of your Beagirl. I hope you will find it in yourself to one day fill it with a new dog. Just think how lucky that dog will be to have that love...an in return, how lucky you will be.

DrunkenBasement 08-04-2011 09:22 AM

I'm so sorry least. When I lost my pup a few months ago, other members suggested I write down some of my favorite memories of him to share. I think it helped. What was the trick she did with the carrot? Anything else you'd like to share? We are here for you.

least 08-04-2011 06:00 PM

She's sit still, we'd balance the carrot on the end of her nose. She'd flip her head back, toss the carrot, and catch it in her mouth!:) She knew some tricks the girls taught her, like sitting pretty and rolling over for a tummy rub. We had her thirteen years and she got a lot of tummy rubs so I did the math and the whole time we had her she got about 24,000 tummy rubs!;) She was spoiled rotten, as you dog lovers can understand as you spoil your own doggies too, and lived a wonderful life. I am grateful for our time together. She was a good part of my kids' growing up.:)

As she got older, of course, she often didn't catch the carrot but she always got to eat it.:)

Freedom1990 08-05-2011 10:53 AM

Miss Kenna at almost 9 months...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...oseupkenna.jpg

Murray4x5 08-05-2011 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Least,

It's hard getting a dog, when you know they'll love you unconditionally for their whole lives, and we'll see them through to the end of their lives. Sometimes, we even have to help them close the circle of life...it's one of the ways we can pay back that love, by not having their last weeks or months be painful. Wishing you well :)

Miss Kenna looks smart!

Zain is three, and in his hiking & mountain loving prime;

Murray4x5 08-05-2011 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Zain contemplatively lounging in the heather;

Freedom1990 08-06-2011 01:21 PM

Zain is gorgeous! Beautiful country too!